Ableton 4 and 5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Frederik654

Ableton 4 and 5

Post by Frederik654 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:50 pm

Hi,

Now Ableton 4 is out for some time and lots of people think that it is an all in one solution and that a new world has opened since the very well done midi implementation .. I wonder .. what should be the next step in Live!'s life ? Eventually there will be a 'Live! 5' and I'd like to ask some opinions around that subject cause I'm intrested in the future of music making ...

Sometimes, looking some steps forward is a good thing to do ..

Fred.
Live8 Suite, Logic Pro X, µTonic, Synplant, U-He ACE, U-He Zebra2.x, U-He Uhbik's, U-He DIVA, Tal Bassline, GURU, Genelec 8040's, SPL Control, Serato, Traktor, TouchAble

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:13 pm

no...i think they're just gonna finish with 4 and go lay on a beach in southern europe counting their money.

k

the8bitdeity

Post by the8bitdeity » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:39 pm

the Requests and Recommendations forum is good place to talk about things for future Live releases.

That being said I'd really like a 4.5 ::cough:: free ::cough:: update with some minor MIDI features added to Live. I feel 3 kinda got Abandoned.
iBook G4 1Ghz w 768 mB RAM, internal Audio
OS 10.4.1

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:38 pm

Hello All,

I'd like to see a decent audio editor and better effects plugs. Maybe also a couple of new soft synths.
But let me add that even as is Live 4 is fantastic in my opinion!

psychonaut

Post by psychonaut » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:11 am

advanced wave editor porfavor

j

Post by j » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:51 am

Deeper MAC optimization.

j

Post by j » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:51 am

Deeper MAC optimization.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:04 am

Video.

Imagine warping, looping and manipulating video clips alongside audio ones using the same interface. Live would be a one-piece multimedia machine.

Of course, this is probably a pipe dream - sound files at 44.1 thousand samples per second are a lot more "stretchable" than video at 24 or 30 frames per second.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

forge

Post by forge » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:38 am

montrealbreaks wrote:Video.

Imagine warping, looping and manipulating video clips alongside audio ones using the same interface. Live would be a one-piece multimedia machine.

Of course, this is probably a pipe dream - sound files at 44.1 thousand samples per second are a lot more "stretchable" than video at 24 or 30 frames per second.
that would be cool - but you're probably looking at Live 6 or 7 for that!

Personally I'd also like a 4.5 release that gives auto PDC, and more user options for modifiers (like being able to set the play head without ctrl/cmd if you want to via the prefs)

and I REALLY want back the way it used to record for the lenght of time you had the quantise set to then stop and start playing it if you had 'repeat' set as default in the prefs - that' my number 1

aljen

Post by aljen » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:59 am

montrealbreaks wrote:Video.
Oh, this would be an idea for yet another software like motion dive .tokyo ;-)

Bud according to video: the ability to open a QuickTime movie directly in Live would be highly appreciated.

cheerz, aljen
"I'm not really a professional anything"
[Laurie Anderson]

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:38 am

video would be cool. in a couple of months mac users will have video units. (sort like au/vst but for movie tweaking)

There are still some more basic stuff i would like to see though.

A hardware midi plugin: just a midi interface for controlling external devices. So you would have the sliders in Live's interface. Also the ability to rename the sliders and to save it as preset in case you have different synths/samplers.

A midi arpeggiator. fully costumizable and chord progressive

A midi cc arpeggiator. Kinda like an LFO but a whole new way of making sounds.

Loading midnam files: being able to load presets and banks from hardware devices.

More midi outputs for sync

More folders for browsing

there are loads more of these things that would make Live even more fun and creative but summing them up would take all day. It's heading in the right direction thoug. My hardware has never been more alive since Live 4 came out. There are just some struggle blocks that make a bit harder to control everything from Live 4.

cheers

David

Post by David » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:53 am

More support for dj's!

There will be an easier option to import entire tracks, cue 'em up, and automatically lock them down to the existing tempo. I'm envisaging a 'Deck' device, similar to an 'Audio' or 'Midi' track. A 'Deck' device may carry similar beat finding properties as that of Traktor. That would be pretty cool.

rEalm

Post by rEalm » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:42 am

I'd like to see Live 5 go back and relook at the "live" aspect of Live. It's definitely up to speed in most cases when it comes to studio productions now that we have version 4, but I feel the live control aspect has been sort of over-looked recently. There have many great ideas of things that would make live use much easier and more comprehensive (multiple loops, relative key commands, track based controls versus just clip based), so I hope Ableton focus on this aspect for the next release.

I think the DJ comment is good too, there are a ton of people I know (as well as myself) that have switched to using Live for DJ duties, so I hope some of the features we've been asking for get included as well.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:09 pm

More keyboard control. I don't want to touch my mouse. At all. I want to switch looping on and off with keys while strafing between them with the arrows... I want to tab between my plugins, type 'cuto' to shift focus to the cutoff knob, then be able to tweak it using my arrow keys or -> Automation macros - I know I can do it with MIDI, but I'd like it a bit more flexible than that... like you could have a 'fadeout' macro, and just fire it at a track using three keystrokes or drag-n-drop. On a similar tip, scripting: Do this X times then do that whilst doing this - I'd also like an easy way to return my plugins to 'initialised' state, snapshot automation, and crossfade between them (control the speed of a crescendo across ten instruments with a MIDI fader, for instance), or script a 'fade to snapshot x' so snapshot automation doesn't sound like jumpcuts.

-Paws

draff

Live 5 should have...

Post by draff » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:15 pm

To expand on the DJ comment above, Live definitely could use more DJ software functionality. I think the DJ portion of Live has been focused on the club/house DJ, but I'm approaching it from my point of view, which is that of a mobile DJ. I know not too many mobile jocks use Live, as they are probably not as techno-savvy as the hardcore electronic musicians and remix artists, nor do many mobile jocks focus that much on the software's ability to do what Live does. But there are enough of us out here to warrant some attention, and maybe draw many more in to using Live if it was more 'mobile-friendly'. For example:

1-You HAVE to integrate MP3 compatibility. And DON'T come to me with the "Live can never implement MP3's because..." speech. I don't want to hear it. This thread is a 'what do I want from Live' subject, and that's what I want. Save your 'true DJ's would never reduce themselves to MP3 quality' crap too. If I play you an MP3 at 160 kbps, and the same song as a wav file, you will NOT know the difference. At the very least, as a recording musician in addition to being a DJ, I would like to be able to export to MP3 if I don't need to do additional mastering somewhere else.

2-Song Organization/Management: Mac users, download the trial version of MegaSeg Pro DJ software. This is THE BEST program out there [Mac or PC] for categorizing, searching, and managing your music for quick loading and playback. It makes no difference where the song file is located. Once you import the file, all you have to do is start typing the name, artist, album, etc. in the search field and MegaSeg filters as you type to find what you're looking for. In addition, you can assign unlimited categories to every song, and filter by category at any time. You NEVER have to browse for a file on your computer, it does it for you. This function would be great for every user of Live. Think of the possibilities... You have 5000 loops on your computer in different locations. Just type in something like, "100 bpm" and all loops matching that text anywhere in their file info immediately pop up. Or filter to all "house loops" or "trance loops" categories, regardless of where the actual file resides. As we all gather more and more files [loops, songs, clips, whatever], this function is essential.

3-Auto BPM extractor. Nuff said.

4-A true 'time elapsed/time left' display in the header bar, not attached to the clip.

That's my wishlist for DJ functions. For my studio recording, I LOVE Live. It is awesome. Even having not used the other big dogs, I can't imagine them offering me much more as far as studio DAW functions. And as someone who likes to do remixes and compilations of popular songs, Live can't be beat.

My $.02, anyway.