Setup for on-the-fly beat chopping in Ableton Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
sinnatagg

Setup for on-the-fly beat chopping in Ableton Live

Post by sinnatagg » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:02 am

Ayup!

I did a writup about my on-the-fly beat chopping setup in Live. It's how I do improvised jungle style chops and rushes in my own livesets.

It's here http://sinnatagg.synth.no/chopper/chopper.html.

-a

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:25 pm

Nice post. :)
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

kpa

Post by kpa » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:14 am

great work sinnatagg, easy to read and so i thought i understand this, i think ill do this and then at the bottom you put the project file containing the chopper. SWEET!

thanks for something that will make my sets better (hopefully)

cheers,
kpa
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha

sinnatagg

Post by sinnatagg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:23 am

Nice to see that this was appreciated :D

I find it a bit difficult to write about liveset techniques like this because everybody has a unique and personal approach to performing and there are a lot of factors that has an influence on how useful a given setup is for anyone. The music is different, controller stack different and the expectations to the performance is different for every performer I know. But more than anything I think a lot of us get stuck with the set we got and don't have the opportunity to integrate something particularly complex into our sets after a while.

So this chopper piece is an example of something that can be integrated sideways into most livesets and will probably be useful for a fair variety of styles. I also hope that this is an example of how a liveset can be centered around complex construction of breaks.

A couple of extra things:

- The loops can be retriggered by retriggering the clips. Nice if you miss a rush or mess up in other ways.
- Some very complex stuff can be played by setting up a variety of loops (some with effects) over two tracks, then triggering, chopping and using the x-fade to do breakcore style mixing of beats. I particularly like going back and forth between halftime/doubletime breakbeats like in the Beacon example.

-a

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:01 am

Great post. I love how it turns Beat Repeat into something easy to control that doesn't necessarily sounds like the usual Beat Repeat right off the bat. I'll put it to use in something requiring more on the fly beat chopping I'm planning.

Thanks for sharing :D

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:09 am

Thankyou SO MUCH for sharing this! I've been trying to achieve these results for ages, but to no avail.

You've just made my day 8)
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Darwinist

Post by Darwinist » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:48 pm

Excellent stuff, will definately play around with this.

djlimbs

Post by djlimbs » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:41 pm

yea, nice post..thanks for the info..while i plan to implement things more suited to my workflow, the writeup opened me up to more creative uses for dummy clips + beat repeat. props!

karl schloch

Trigger not working

Post by karl schloch » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:54 pm

I did exactly the same setup,i also thought for the dots at the beginning of the macro curves but they do not trigger?

sinnatagg

Re: Trigger not working

Post by sinnatagg » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:12 am

karl schloch wrote:I did exactly the same setup,i also thought for the dots at the beginning of the macro curves but they do not trigger?
There's a zip file with a liveset where the chopper is setup along with a couple of loops. Have you tried that ? If that works you may be able to see where my instructions have failed you.

If that liveset file works you can include the chopper by dragging its channel from the .als file into your own set.

Never mind the samples missing error in the sample project. I managed to use a 55mb audio file for the dummy clip and couldn't manage to easily replace it so I just deleted it.

-a

maze23a

Post by maze23a » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:02 pm

Tested this one out last night and
have to say this is really really cool!!
Thanx a lot for sharing it!

scarixix

Post by scarixix » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:24 am

8)

ditto !

Very nice.. ... Thank jah for sharing.
Been using Audio Damage Replicant to get some stutter/repeat/fill sort of tings but this
is quite useful.

Cheers !

nimbledoe

Post by nimbledoe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:09 am

sweeet...Image

musiker01

Post by musiker01 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:48 am

Thanks for the great tutorial. I think I'll have to look at Beat Repeat a little more closely.

Axl

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:21 pm

props!

i'm going to forward this on to people for sure.

<3

d
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com