Calling Vista Users - Hows it going right now?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:13 pm

just make sure that all your plug-ins are supported, some might require you to buy an update

selthym

Post by selthym » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:23 pm

Timur wrote:That bit doesn't really matter once you've properly setup Vista for Audio Production and your drivers are bugfree.
Maybe I missed it, is there a guide to setting up vista for audio production?

I am using Vista without too many issues (After disabling my DVD Drive)

laird

Post by laird » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:13 pm

For me, once I followed Timur's advice on Aero , everything with Live7 has been great (my soundcard has good drivers).

All of my plugins from XP work in Vista., too.

(Are there some that work in Xp but not Vista? I'm not aware of any but i don't keep track of many)

i switched from XP to Vista because I needed a new, and more powerful computer, and that meant either using Vista or spending lots of effort trying to find XP-drivers for every component of the machine. And I'm not computer-savvy enough to do that.

abort

Post by abort » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:31 pm

Timur wrote:
Grappadura wrote:XP is also easier on the cpu.
That bit doesn't really matter once you've properly setup Vista for Audio Production and your drivers are bugfree.
Timur, that was you on the bugs and problems forum talking about vista, and I know you have investigated these issues with vista for some time now. I was just wondering if you could post maybe a list of tweaks that needs tobe done on vista for music production to take place effectively, if you have posted a list some were already just give us a link to that so I could read it myself.

'maybe I'll go back to the bugs page and look that up myself but if you could thats cool too'

abort

Post by abort » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:47 pm

Oj don't know how this just poped up on a new tab but I'm reading is ..good read I might add!
Summary of relevant advantages in Vista for Pro Audio work http://www.ableton.com/forum/posting.ph ... ly&t=94497

Aton

Post by Aton » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:05 am

vista with live was fine until i stretched it out on my multiple monitor setup. this caused it to ditch the aero interface mode and all hell broke loose. I had to go back to xp. from my experience, Live + vista does not work with multiple monitors. Anyone else have this experience?

Noel

Post by Noel » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:37 am

Regarding the Aero Glass mode, is this only relevant to live 7, because I've found just the opposite with live 6.

With Aero on ("Best Appearance") I find I can't even move the mouse without the audio cracking up - dragging a window is a complete no no. On the other hand if I select "Best Performance" it works quite well, still glitches more than XP did though, even though my new PC is faster.

It also seems to get worse after running live for an hour or so and has to be rebooted to recover.
Noel has left the building!

Timur

Post by Timur » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:54 am

Sorry folks, I'm leaving this forum for good. So you're on your own now. All you need to know to get Vista (and XP) running is covered in these two threads:

General advices on how to setup a Windows PC for good performance (especially audio): http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... timization

Vista specific advices that cover Live's current bugs/issues when running on Vista (with and without Aero): http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=vista

You really just need a good audio-interface with good drivers (and a good Firewire interface if you are using that) and plenty of RAM. I'm working fine with 2 GB here. Ableton knows about the problems with Vista. But I don't expect any bug-fixes on that unless they publish a new version like Live 8 or 9 and most likely not before XP is finally instinct and thus forces Ableton to get their act together.

There's a whole lot of other threads by me that cover various other issues/culprits.

- Watch out for high Midi throughput when using DirectMusic instead of MME and even with MME watch out. Furthermore keep an eye on your audio-inputs.

- If you are using Multiprocessor (MP) Support then always turn all track-inputs off when they are not needed. In fact if you are using only audio-tracks with little to no effects then even turn MP off.

- Switch "Plugin Buffers" (Preferences -> CPU) to a fixed value, prefereably between 128 (better timing, more CPU load) or 256 (still good enough timing, less CPU load). Anything above 256 to 512 wont affect CPU load much anymore, anything lower than 128 will increase CPU load considerably. The smaller the Plugin Buffers the lower the latency of VSTs. These buffers are added to your Audio Buffers, so the default setting "As Audio Buffers" will always double your latency!.

- Restart Live from time to time, especially if you are using external Plugins/VSTs. Live is a memory pig and Smart Priming sounds much better than it works. Buy RAM if you are using lots of Live's internal stuff and lots of samples/clips! Else Live might lead to Windows swapping memory via the harddrive which will draw on everything CPU, RAM and HD.

Wish you all a fun and successful experience. I will keep on trying to get Ableton support to recognize and finally handle the problems, but only via mail. This forum is a waste of my time.

CU

abort

Post by abort » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:26 am

Maybe you might be missed and should reconsider your move?

I haven't really talked to you personally but your statement is rather Bold.

Spacerboy

Post by Spacerboy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:40 am

forge wrote:just make sure that all your plug-ins are supported, some might require you to buy an update
which ones for example?