[OT] Horror movies that are actually scary

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Timur

Post by Timur » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:04 pm

thelike5 wrote:This is commonly refered to as the "Old Hag Syndrome". Some scary shit for sure. Basically, you wake up in the middle of the night with a 70 year old woman/witch kneeling on your chest. You can't move. I've never exprienced this but if I did I'd have to break out the night light all over again!
The german word for "nightmare" = "Alptraum" is actually going right into this direction. In old times it was called "Alpdrücken" meaning something like "an Alp (an evil spirit) is pressing on you". They literally thought that nightmares are caused by Alps sitting on your chest at night.

Landser

Post by Landser » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:44 am

Patch, Tarekith,

thanks for recommending "The Descent". Indeed a very thrilling movie.

!SPOILER WARNING!

In the first scenes and minutes it immediately becomes clear, that the director will be very capable to play easily on the viewer's nerves.
I was extremely impressed, how the director can create a claustrophobic atmosphere. I was watching on a big screen in 5.1 and the sound in the small caverns, especially that one that collapses, was unbelievable and i had a feeling of pressure on the chest and as if i'm getting not enough fresh air. Wow. You can almost smell the humid air and the dust.
Story, actors, camera, lighting, production design special FX are all good and way above average.
Recommended.

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:07 am

Scared the shit out of me. And you're right - I used to go caving years ago, but I'll never set foot in one again for the reasons you said!

[EDIT: I love this thread, man! I'm going out to buy 28 Days Later - THAT was a film and a half!!! I didn't even know about the alternate endings...]

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:18 am

I thought the descent was scary too. The car bit at the beginning makes you uneasy innit? But the screaming creatures just made me laugh.

The Orphanage I found so scary it was ridiculous. I am making an Orphanage scarecrow for my new allotment.

spkey

Re: [OT] Horror movies that are actually scary

Post by spkey » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:25 am

beats me wrote:I've completely lost my faith in Hollywood and even Indie studios in being able to make horror movies that are actually scary.
Are there still people into Hollywood? Sad... Anyway, here are my reccomendations:

1. Funny Games (The Austrian Version) (Very brutal) - Michael Haneke
2. The Piano Teacher - Michael Haneke
3. Suspiria - Dario Argento (Classic!)
4. Santa Sangre - Alejandro Jodorowsky (Cult and quite eccentric)
5. Faust - Jan Svankmajer (Not really a Horror but I dare you)
6. Anything made by the Brothers Quay (Not Horror but I dare you again!)
7. Dark Water (the original)
8. The Hunger with David Bowie
9. Evil Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (The originals)
10. Das Experiment (German film)

Warminstrel

Post by Warminstrel » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:35 am

I watched The Excorcist on betamax back in 1980 when videos were first poplular in the UK. Was about 12 or 13 and can remeber having a few nightmares.

Other top "Parents guide to scaring the shite out of a minor" hits at the time were 'I Spit On Your Grave' 'Driller Killer' 'Chainsaw Massacre' 'Cannibal Ferrox' and The original 'Hills have Eyes'

I have since become immune to horror, I wonder why?

:?: :twisted:

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:56 am

Re: The Descent

You guys know that Emissary did the sound fx for that?

Great job!!!

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:45 pm

thelike5 wrote:Wolf Creek was good. So was High tension.

What really scared me (and scarred me) was the Zelda character from Pet Semetary. Man, I'm still terrified. Really really terrified.

Anyone who has seen that film pretty much knows what I'm talking about.
High tension, I thought was personally the scariest movie I've ever seen.

Cm

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:52 pm

Patch wrote:Scared the shit out of me. And you're right - I used to go caving years ago, but I'll never set foot in one again for the reasons you said!

[EDIT: I love this thread, man! I'm going out to buy 28 Days Later - THAT was a film and a half!!! I didn't even know about the alternate endings...]
28 days later is a quality film, but I wouldn't get your hopes up about the alternative ending. Unless you're looking at a different version to the one I've got.

Landser

Post by Landser » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:28 pm

Pitch Black wrote:Re: The Descent

You guys know that Emissary did the sound fx for that?

Great job!!!
Indeed, but who the hell is Emissary?

grimleyj

Post by grimleyj » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:58 pm

"Shutter" the original Thai version. Not sure why ... maybe the location and low budget cinematography ... but this was the first movie in years that really spooked me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_(Thai_film)

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:09 pm

I'll say it again, still to this day Zelda from Pet Semetary was the scariest scene in any move I've ever seen. I rememebr watching that and not being able to sleep forever.

There are videos of it on Youtube but I haven't even got the balls to watch it and I'm 31 years old.

What happens if it starts all over again?

CWoodOne

Post by CWoodOne » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:55 pm

evernaut wrote:Wolf Creek.
+1

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:13 pm

ok. perhaps not a scary movie, but the eye 2, in the elevator.
holycrap.

and yes event horizon IS scary.
the descent is a very very good movie indeed, especially scary for me beeing a claustrophobic and all.

theres a scene in .rec (free spanish zombie flick) towards the end when they get to the palce they are going too (wont spoil it for you, you should see it if you havent), thats pretty scary. the rest is just.. pfft.
it is however extremely impressive that they managed to have 20 minute takes with a handycam without a cut.

zombie diaries is pretty scary at times, in that zombie kind of way.
i have to say though that Cube (also not a scary movie at all), where they have to go through the quiet room with the autistic guy, that was perhaps one of the most intense scenes i have seen.

ringu scares the shit out of me. not the hollywood one though.
so did the exorcist when i was a kid. and yeah. pet semetary, holycrap.

and although this is way out of topic i just HAVE to say this:
in cloverfield, where they are sitting across the street from each other and the military shows up for the first time.
this is the best scene i have seen in a movie so far. thats just.. wah.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:32 pm

i thought no country for old men was kinda creepy. it wasn't scary but it still had that weird vibe to it. the main character was a total unlikable dick, most of the time you sorta feel bad for the killer, but this guy was an asshole.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.