64bit Vista FIRST!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

64bit Live for Vista BEFORE 32BIT!!

YES!!..NOWW!!
44%
MAYBE
9%
NOT YET
47%

Total votes: 34

Seviel

Post by Seviel » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:23 pm

Landser wrote:Please, do not try to convince me with marketing-BS.
I'd suggest you to take a look at the 32-bit float format and what the maximum rounding error is it can produce.
Then calculate it in dB.
Then you'll maybe get an idea, how marketing is shamelessly used to fool people.

It is not ignorant what i said, it is the hard truth: nobody will get any better music and sound, with 64bit. Either you can achieve professional results with 16bit fixed, or not even 128 bit float would make any difference.

Save your money and TIME for things, that really help to improve the result.
Can we go ontopic we are talking about a 64bit OS and not about bit depth!
*offtopic, keep in mind that music isn't only what you hear but what you can feel to ;) I truly believe we get more feel from a higher bith depth, you can say: we can't hear the difference how do you make it then? wel thats simple we feel it!

In the future we all will be running a 64 OS, simply because there will be more processing possible. There will be people first and last to step over as with all things in life. For now we are discusting how and where to make the best transition between the OS 32 and 64bit!

* offtopic again could not resist! drop freeze, if ya working sounds you don't want to freeze anything because of the simple fact that sounds affect eachother, if ya freeze one thing you can't change it to correct the affection of another sound configured how small that may be... When I would have to freeze tracks I would be freezing tracks at least a couple of thousand times a day!
Working to make the problem my pro

Simmo

Post by Simmo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:00 pm

Dragging this topic out of the archive :lol:

+1 to x64 support both Windows and OSX

poshook

Post by poshook » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:18 am

32bit OS is more than 13 years old. any USB flash has more than 4GB. it is very funny using max. 2GB for application under 32bit OS for composers with a lot of huge samplelibaries. 64bit is definitely one of the most important feature for me

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:20 pm

I think this is more of a Windows issue.

When they created the 32 bit version of Vista, people would naturally stay in the 32 bit realm of things.

That's why the development in the 64 bit O.S. has been fairly small. If Vista was 64 bit only, we would be seeing more progress than now, but Microsoft would have hurt other customers because of incompatibility problems.

Once things start getting more stable on 32 bit Vista, you will see manufacturers putting more time into the 64 bit Vista.

carriero

Post by carriero » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:55 pm

A good first step would be to get 32 bit Ableton Live running smoothly on Vista 64. At present, I can't turn on multiprocessor support under Vista 64 without degrading performance of Live by half -- double the CPU's, halve the performance. I have no desire to go back to XP because my 64 bit Sonar works great on Vista 64. I just wish Ableton would hurry up and catch up -- at least part of the way. Maybe if people could run 32 bit Ableton under Vista 64, the demand for 64 bit Ableton would grow.

IP

Post by IP » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:08 pm

I thought Live 7 was 64bit!

wtf :(

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:50 am

am is are wrote:it's also about the increased bit depth that gives you much more digital headroom (so even less distortion at high track counts)
I think you need to read the Ableton audio fact sheet about the Live7 64bit summing engine, or 'hype-r-drive' as it is known.
'hype-r-drive' is a trademark of R.Henke
:wink:
The F-ing Live Manual wrote: Live 7 uses double precision (64-bit) summing at all points where signals are mixed, including
Clip and return track inputs, the Master track and Racks. Mixing in Live is thus a neutral
operation for signals mixed at any single summing point

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:32 pm

Angstrom wrote:
am is are wrote:it's also about the increased bit depth that gives you much more digital headroom (so even less distortion at high track counts)
I think you need to read the Ableton audio fact sheet about the Live7 64bit summing engine, or 'hype-r-drive' as it is known.
'hype-r-drive' is a trademark of R.Henke
:wink:
The F-ing Live Manual wrote: Live 7 uses double precision (64-bit) summing at all points where signals are mixed, including
Clip and return track inputs, the Master track and Racks. Mixing in Live is thus a neutral
operation for signals mixed at any single summing point
Stupid Question:
Is that also on 32 bit OS?

[And for the "I don't need 64 bit" people:
I dont know much about it, but more CPU Power and things will always be required if you want to stay up to date with actual music-software (plugins/DAW). If you not agreee, perhaps you want to go back to C 64 (wich is very nice too, I know!), because "new things are bad"...]
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!