Native micro kontrol setup?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
RePeter

Native micro kontrol setup?

Post by RePeter » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:37 pm

Hi everyone, just a quick question today,

trying to set up my microkontrol as a native control surface, have selected it in the list , and set the ins and outs, set the microkontrol into "dump" mode and pressed dump in ableton but nothing happens... do i need to use he korg librarian or something?

Cheers

RPT
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Anyone have any experience of Korg products with native mode?
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

stutter

Post by stutter » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:06 pm

if you want to use it with the built-in Ableton support then you will need whichever default patch was on Scene 1 loaded - pressing Dump might load that (you midi out should be set to microkontrol CTRL for this), or it might not work. Alternatively the patch will be in your Korg microkontrol folder, since you should have some default scene sets there, or there will probably be a way to reset the scenes to the factory defaults - have a look in the manual.

If this is successful then you will have the controls set out in whichever Lesson lists Ableton's various "natively" supported controls.

You can also set up your own generic control. If you're on a pc then look for:
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME HERE\Application Data\Ableton\Live YOUR VERSION NUMBER\Preferences\User Remote Scripts
With any luck there will be some files in there which you can edit, then place in a folder named something like "MicroKontrol Edit", and they will appear in the Remote Control drop-down list in Live's midi-preferences.

You might also be aware (or refereing to) Korg's own "Native Mode" in which your host (e.g. Live) will communicate with the microkontrol, controlling the lights and lcd screens. This is not something which is supported by Live, and you will need some kind of external program. On Mac there is one called lc xmu. On pc there is not a properly supported program, but there was (when I had a MK) one called Native Host. Reason is the only program I remember having inbuilt Native Mode support.