how to use ableton live as a looper

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Lazos

Post by Lazos » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:50 am

Yeah, it sounds like Mobius can do a lot, but I'm on a non-Intel Mac so no Windows for me. I have rehearsed extensively with my old Boss RC-20 and played entire shows with just that, my tanbur and my bass, so I don't really care that much about undo features (really).

But anyway, I'll check out looperlative. The Boomerang doesn't have midi sync right? I've heard of it for years, looked at the specs and it didn't really interest me. I guess the "pricey looper SW alternative" would be the Electrix Virtual Repeater Pro, if they ever release it . . .

YILA

Post by YILA » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:02 am

is anyone listening to what im saying about mobius?

No midi assignment within live for the essential buttons.. record/overdub etc
Cant use keystroke commands unless the window is active...
wont receive input unless the monitor is set to in or auto...

any fixes?
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:08 pm

what do you mean no midi assignment within live? so far as i know, you just assign the same way you would in any live set (that's how my setup works). as for keystrokes, i have no idea, most people who use something like mobius are doing everything with foot pedals (i have one bank for mobius, one for live, etc.). and i don't get the monitor issue, either. can you explain more?

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:09 pm

btw, you may want to check the mobius forum, jeff's very good at answering questions, as are others.

feerhoof

Post by feerhoof » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:31 am

Machinate wrote:
feerhoof wrote:and????
well you didnt ask a question beyond "have you used them?" - so all one could answer was "yes" or "no"...

:?
fair enough...lemme reprhase then...

have you used both lloopy llama and the augustus looper?
yes?
and what did you think of them? what are their good features? do they really feel like one of those looper pedal for guitar such as DL4?

please elaborate your thoughts o these 2 particular softwares....

i'm on mac intel + live 6

:wink:

YILA

Post by YILA » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:39 am

you cant assign the record button usin midi maps... only volume and some pointless ones..

And my foot pedal is a key stroke generator... which i could have assigned, but seeing as mobius doesnt accept unless ontop window then i cant use..

Ill check there forum tho cheers..
Scan i5 in the studio. Dual core Pc laptop, 13inch macbookpro,RME fireface 800,live 8.1,operator. drum machines Myspace Soundcloud Youtube Twitter

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:18 am

you're saying you can't assign live record, or mobius record? in mobius, you can assign just about everything (you obviously can do the same in live too). are you saying you can't have both mobius and live assigned at once? (i have both, have controls for live on one MFC10, controls for mobius on another MFC10 (i don't like having to think about changing banks).)

i'm not sure i follow re controller, but my yamaha MFC10 send stuff fine to mobius, even when mobius window isn't active. maybe we're talking past each other, but i suspect mobius does what you're looking for (it has some things that interact a little strangely with live, but these aren't ones i recall seeing on zonemobius or in my own experiecne). good luck.

YILA

Post by YILA » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:00 am

mobius within live as a VST...

Only certain parameters show on the plugin.. i.e volume.. no record to assign in live..

and my footpedal gives out keystroke messages not midi.. so it wont get to mobius unless its active in the window!

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:24 am

yes, only certain parameters show on the plugin -- just about all of the mobius parameters -- and you have to deal with the live parameters in live. what's odd about that? (again, i suspect i misunderstand.)

i think maybe i understand now -- you assign all of the mobius commands in the mobius window, not in live -- while mobius is running as a vst, go into mobius midi control (in the plugin window), then hit midi capture, press the button you want to assign, then assign it to any mobius command, repeat until you've got everything you want. you can obviously do the same in live separately for the live commands. that answer your question?

savale

Post by savale » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:34 am

dj superflat wrote:yes, only certain parameters show on the plugin -- just about all of the mobius parameters -- and you have to deal with the live parameters in live. what's odd about that? (again, i suspect i misunderstand.)

i think maybe i understand now -- you assign all of the mobius commands in the mobius window, not in live -- while mobius is running as a vst, go into mobius midi control (in the plugin window), then hit midi capture, press the button you want to assign, then assign it to any mobius command, repeat until you've got everything you want. you can obviously do the same in live separately for the live commands. that answer your question?
That's funny I read this... I want to do the same for "guitar rig" vst plugin. Control the vst with keycommands in ableton. But I don't understand your method yet. Can you try to be more clear on how to see more vst options in the plugin window? Now I miss a lot of options I want to map. Thanks!

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:18 pm

I like Augustus Loop. Map one button to input vol max, one button to input vol min, one button to clear loop.

You can also do quantized punch but I tend to set the loop length by bar number manually.

That program is a bargain..

feerhoof

Post by feerhoof » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:31 pm

OvertoneZero wrote:I like Augustus Loop. Map one button to input vol max, one button to input vol min, one button to clear loop.

You can also do quantized punch but I tend to set the loop length by bar number manually.

That program is a bargain..
hey mate,
have you ever tried the
lloopy llama?
there was a link for it earlier on this page,
it is free and that claim to be a take on the fripptronics lloping rig...

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:35 am

if you only need what something like augustus can do, try angstolooper first. it's free, fits well with live, has great tape fx, etc.

kimyo

Post by kimyo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:56 pm

exaltron wrote:Ha, ha, so I came home and tried and tried to get that tap tempo thing going, and I ended up with this:

http://www.exaltron.com/mp3s/capella01.mp3

Thanks to all who shamed me into it..
very nice, clean, you should definitely be doing this live........