OT: London v New York - What's best?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
brightonalex

OT: London v New York - What's best?

Post by brightonalex » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:29 pm

Let's cut to the chase - no "both have things to offer" please. Which one's best, and why.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:52 pm

Ok, London is best...

... because i never been to NY. :D

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:56 pm

Good answer, and well backed up. Anyone else?

Patch

Post by Patch » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:01 pm

New York. I hate the attitude people have in london.

London MC's are bitches.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:13 pm

I prefer NY over London,
I prefer the personality of NewYork, London is more de-personalised and cut-throat in my opinion. I know the stereotype of NY is somehow cold-hearted, but I've never experienced that. In London I certainly have.

The drawback of NY is it being situated in the (dis-)United States of Terror. I don't fancy spending time at the hands of the border guards in one of those camps they have now. Ah ah ! you're a Liberal terrorist , tase, him tase him! That man has a beard, he's a terrorist! You're a homo baby killer. I'm a free market patriot. God is on our side, 3 strikes you're out. You're either with us or against us. etc, etc.

So, that has put me off going back there in the last few years.
Oddly though my New Yorker friends seem to think that living in Europe is better. In fact, they are moving to Berlin.

so perhaps the answer to the question is ... Berlin!

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:24 pm

There's the US, and there's NYC. It's abut as different as West Berlin was to West Germany back in the day - an island with it's own identity and culture.
NYC is surprisingly warm in spirit, there's a rough kind of friendliness that permeates through the city, something that disappears as soon as you leave city limits and is replaced by a "we wants to be NYC, so we gots to be tough like NYC" mentality.
ethios4 wrote:One thing to remember is that you will probably never ever get to experience your own music the way you experience other people's music.
http://www.myspace.com/kristallin

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:40 pm

I live in London and I've loved visiting New York. But one thing that seemed mad to me was the stickers in the back of taxis and even emergency vehicles outside the airport. "9/11 Never forget, never forgive". That seemed strange to me - i couldn't see who it was directed at exactly.

But I'm not intending to start a political thread, just wondering what people liked in each City! I think NYC is great, so full on.

sparklepuff

Re: .

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:43 pm

brightonalex wrote:I live in London and I've loved visiting New York. But one thing that seemed mad to me was the stickers in the back of taxis and even emergency vehicles outside the airport. "9/11 Never forget, never forgive". That seemed strange to me - i couldn't see who it was directed at exactly.

But I'm not intending to start a political thread, just wondering what people liked in each City! I think NYC is great, so full on.
I'll at least chime in and say I've never even seen one of those stickers. Been here 3 years.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:48 pm

I SWEAR I'm not making it up, it was in the actual fire truck windows. I'll try and find it online, because now I feel like a political 9/11 bore and I'm really not.

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:48 pm

This is it

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:48 pm

Ny for the women and music and london for the soccer.

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:56 pm

ThrowAway wrote:Ny for the women and music and london for the soccer.
The best thing about the women in London, is only about half of them are english.

Don't know how anyone could ever complain about the influx of eastern europeans. Ooh, I say!

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:57 pm

I think:

New York for the enormous food, the cocktails, the loudness and the optimism;

London for the history, the silliness, the beer and the river.

Precision

Post by Precision » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:21 pm

London's not too bad...If I'm having one of my (very) good days :P

Only visited New York once, but it was an amazing trip and I met some incredible people. I have very, very fond memories of the place indeed :D

But, yeah - London for the footy. COME ON YOU BLUES!
Tone Deft wrote: it's hard to code Python when you're knocked up on morphine with your dick in a sling.

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:24 pm

London for the clubs and gigs, history, river, and the diverse areas (Soho, Brixton, Stoke Newington, Hackney, Hoxton, The Heath, Southwark, Greenwich)
New York for the bars, skyline, food, eye candy, photo ops, shopping (especially at the moment for us brits)..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer