What is necessary computer power? (Mac)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spaceribbon

What is necessary computer power? (Mac)

Post by spaceribbon » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:53 pm

Currently, I have a PowerBook G4 1ghz, 1GB SDRAM Mac Os 10.3.9. When I run Ableton, as soon there are more than 2-3 tracks, it begins to overload the CPU usage. I perform and compose electronic/rock music with Live.

I am looking to buy a new mac Laptop, what would be enough RAM, power, etc. ? Of course you might say "as much as possible." But what is a decent compromised amount so I do not have to spend too much. Is the base line 2.2ghz/2gbRAM enough?

Thank you,

Any other tips to manage CPU power would be apreciated as well.

s.ribbon

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:09 pm

For best bang for buck, Get the highest spec 'white' macbook you can, and stick a load of RAM in it. I have a 2.0Ghz with 2 Gb ram and find it more that adequate. Get the ram from crucial and not apple (it's much cheaper). The new macbooks can take up to 4gb ram so there's no point in going for a Macbook Pro

You'll probably need to get a good external HD too so leave some cash aside for that.

Heinz Graaf

Post by Heinz Graaf » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:17 pm

beatpoet wrote:For best bang for buck, Get the highest spec 'white' macbook you can, and stick a load of RAM in it. I have a 2.0Ghz with 2 Gb ram and find it more that adequate. Get the ram from crucial and not apple (it's much cheaper). The new macbooks can take up to 4gb ram so there's no point in going for a Macbook Pro

You'll probably need to get a good external HD too so leave some cash aside for that.
And if you connect an external FW hard drive to the macbook you will be forced to use an USB soundcard becuase there are no more ports available.... No express, no firewire... No point in going for a macbook pro? Dont think so..

spaceribbon

Monitor Size

Post by spaceribbon » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:18 pm

Although that sounds like a great deal. I have a 15" monitor at the moment and would not want to make it any smaller.

thanks you though.

spaceribbon

Firewire ports

Post by spaceribbon » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:24 pm

I actually use the M-Audio firewire and a firewire external hardrive.

Normally I either chain link the M-Audio through the External hard drive or leave the hard drive out.

Does it slow down the M-Audio firewire interface if I link it through the external hard drive?

Does the MacBook Pro have two firewire ports? Is this better?

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:42 pm

Heinz Graaf wrote:
beatpoet wrote:For best bang for buck, Get the highest spec 'white' macbook you can, and stick a load of RAM in it. I have a 2.0Ghz with 2 Gb ram and find it more that adequate. Get the ram from crucial and not apple (it's much cheaper). The new macbooks can take up to 4gb ram so there's no point in going for a Macbook Pro

And if you connect an external FW hard drive to the macbook you will be forced to use an USB soundcard becuase there are no more ports available.... No express, no firewire... No point in going for a macbook pro? Dont think so..
Just curious, can you connect a display to a macbook?

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:12 pm

smutek wrote:
Heinz Graaf wrote:

Yes. I use it hooked to belkin KWM suitable for Macmini i use to share the video with my XP pc.
It works fine and the addition of a Keyboard and mouse, completed my setup as a 'portable desktop powerhouse'.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:24 pm

Heinz Graaf wrote:If you connect an external FW hard drive to the macbook you will be forced to use an USB soundcard becuase there are no more ports available.... No express, no firewire... No point in going for a macbook pro? Dont think so..
Nope my friend...Decent firewire audiocards for Macs (ie. M-audio 410,audiophile,etc) come with 2 firewire ports so...you can daisy chain the card and the external HD to the same firewire port on your laptop, no need to use the USB. But I agree with you...if you can afford it, go with a Macbook Pro...you won't regret. :D
It doesn't make it slow, the Macbook Pro has 2 firewire (1/400...1/800) and 3 USB.And...yes it's better.

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:37 pm

Heinz Graaf wrote:

Most firewire audio cards have a 2nd firewire por for easy daisy chaining.

spaceribbon

Thanks for the input, I think Macbook Pro but...

Post by spaceribbon » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:41 pm

How much Ram is necessary? or Speed?

Will the basic 2.2ghz, 2GB Ram be sufficient for production and performance?

Would it be helpful if I hook up my old G4 Powerbook 1ghz 1GB Ram to help manage the CPU load? How would I do that?

-space

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:43 pm

smutek wrote:
Heinz Graaf wrote:

Yes, it uses a mini-DVI port and includes adapters for VGA and DVI monitors.

sqook

Re: Thanks for the input, I think Macbook Pro but...

Post by sqook » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:46 pm

spaceribbon wrote:How much Ram is necessary? or Speed?

Will the basic 2.2ghz, 2GB Ram be sufficient for production and performance?
Max out the RAM if you can afford it... but don't buy your RAM from apple, since they overcharge like mad. :) The new macbooks support up to 4Gb, and that upgrade will buy you a lot more performance than an extra 1.33Ghz on the CPU.
Would it be helpful if I hook up my old G4 Powerbook 1ghz 1GB Ram to help manage the CPU load? How would I do that?
It's possible, but you'll find it to be more trouble than it's worth. The macbook will basically blow away the powerbook as far as performance is concerned, and you'll never look back. :)

BUT, if you really want, the best way to spread out the load is over the network. Use the built-in network MIDI driver in OSX to sync live across the net, and mix the audio down on a mixer, or send to the macbook for processing via S/PDIF or something.

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:07 pm

As far as processor performance.... you don't need to get the fastest CPU available. While faster CPU is often nicer, the truth is that you won't notice that much difference between a 2.0 and 2.2 GHz Core2Duo. The big difference you'll notice is getting away from that G4 laptop you currently have. The G4 processor was obsolete 6 years ago. That's why your Ableton is dragging so badly.

2 Gigs RAM should suit you well. 1 Gig is an absolute minimum... but 2 Gigs will be better. Max out the RAM if you want peak performance. But don't buy RAM from Apple. Those fuckwads charge more than twice what they should. 8O
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

spaceribbon

Thanks you all!

Post by spaceribbon » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:42 pm

Macbook Pro basic then I'll add 1-2 GB of Crucial later.
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz/4gb Ram. RME FireFace 400, Novation SL Remote 49, M-Audio X-session Pro, Arturia Analog Factory.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:37 pm

you should add the 4gb of ram.

it will make a huge difference.

get the ram here, good customer service and pricing.

http://www.macsales.com/
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST