Live 7 fix Reason Rewire MIDI sync issues?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sgx

Live 7 fix Reason Rewire MIDI sync issues?

Post by sgx » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:47 am

Hi Guys, I did a search on the forum for this but wasn't able to find anything about it.

Does anyone know if Live 7 has fixed the issue when you compose midi in Live for Reason instuments, a nasty delay begins appearing when CPU usage gets high? I'll probably grab Live 7 anyways, but I'd be super excited if this was fixed. Thanks.

headquest

Post by headquest » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:30 am

Please, please let this be fixed. Please!

[We've asked nicely ever since Live 4... so once again, please?]
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:34 am

Hi,

I think you two are talking about two different things:

- the fact that PDC could not compensate for the latency of incoming Audio from Reason when MIDI was sent from another track is something of the past, thanks to the External Instrument: now, in a single track, you send MIDI and receive Audio from Reason, you can freeze the track and treat the External Instrument as an internal one.

- The issue between "muliple processors ON" in Live and Reason a s Rewire slave, that makes the MIDI data not reach Reason (unless you set "multiple processor" to OFF) is worked ON. We hope it can soon be fixed, but I can't tell until it's actually proven true.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

davec1

Post by davec1 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:42 am

the fact that PDC could not compensate for the latency of incoming Audio from Reason when MIDI was sent from another track is something of the past, thanks to the External Instrument: now, in a single track, you send MIDI and receive Audio from Reason, you can freeze the track and treat the External Instrument as an internal one.
omfg, did I get this right? If I send midi from live to reason (e.g. during a live performance, recording the midi that I'm sending to reason to loop it later), it won't have timing (delay) issues anymore and be in sync with vst instruments within live, for instance?

what's the freeze for? I don't get that part and hope it's not necessary for the PDC thing to work properly.

I take it External Instrument works with rewire, not with reason running separately, somehow, right?

That would make a lot of people really, really happy and is a major marketing omission to not emphasise this more, cause I know a lot of people are very frustrated with that PDC non-compensation thingy....

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:08 am

davec1 wrote:
the fact that PDC could not compensate for the latency of incoming Audio from Reason when MIDI was sent from another track is something of the past, thanks to the External Instrument: now, in a single track, you send MIDI and receive Audio from Reason, you can freeze the track and treat the External Instrument as an internal one.
omfg, did I get this right? If I send midi from live to reason (e.g. during a live performance, recording the midi that I'm sending to reason to loop it later), it won't have timing (delay) issues anymore and be in sync with vst instruments within live, for instance?

what's the freeze for? I don't get that part and hope it's not necessary for the PDC thing to work properly.

I take it External Instrument works with rewire, not with reason running separately, somehow, right?

That would make a lot of people really, really happy and is a major marketing omission to not emphasise this more, cause I know a lot of people are very frustrated with that PDC non-compensation thingy....
Hi,

Reason still needs to be open of course. With the External Instrument, you reach a reason device via the "MIDI to" choser, and get the audio back from there. So, you can use the track as any other track playing an internal instrument. Freeze is only optional, if needed, as with other instrument tracks.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:22 am

I dont have reason but you'll get the point:

itook4lefts

Post by itook4lefts » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:34 am

hoffman2k wrote:I dont have reason but you'll get the point:

and the same applies to max? oh my...

headquest

Post by headquest » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:15 pm

Amaury wrote:Hi,

- the fact that PDC could not compensate for the latency of incoming Audio from Reason when MIDI was sent from another track is something of the past, thanks to the External Instrument: now, in a single track, you send MIDI and receive Audio from Reason, you can freeze the track and treat the External Instrument as an internal one.

- The issue between "muliple processors ON" in Live and Reason a s Rewire slave, that makes the MIDI data not reach Reason (unless you set "multiple processor" to OFF) is worked ON. We hope it can soon be fixed, but I can't tell until it's actually proven true.

Regards,
Amaury
Thanks for the answer. Some great news there :D

Am I understandding right that you would recommend not using multicore processor ON while hosting Reason via rewire?

Listen on Soundcloud

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:22 pm

headquest wrote:
Amaury wrote:Hi,

Regards,
Amaury
Thanks for the answer. Some great news there :D

Am I understandding right that you would recommend not using multicore processor ON while hosting Reason via rewire?
That last part is an old bug in the Rewire system, we're currently investigating it. For sure, if you get this "missed notes" from Live to Reason or another Rewire host, you should try to turn OFF "multicore processor support". But not everybody has the problem.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

headquest

Post by headquest » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:50 pm

Thanks.

One last point on the rewire system, as you are looking at it:

Will it be possible for Live 7, when in Rewire slave mode, to hosts VSTs now?

Thanks in advance.

Listen on Soundcloud

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:51 pm

headquest wrote:Thanks.

One last point on the rewire system, as you are looking at it:

Will it be possible for Live 7, when in Rewire slave mode, to hosts VSTs now?

Thanks in advance.
No, when Live is a Rewire slave, you can't use third party plugins in Live.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

headquest

Post by headquest » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:00 pm

Okay, thanks for the answer on that.

Is it planned to change this in a future version (8, 9, etc)? I know it is regularly mentioned on other forums as a request, but I wonder if you have this as a registered request on the to-do list?

(some other programmes such as FL Studio and Cakewalk's Project 5 allow VSTs to be used when in rewire slave mode, so it is known to be possible).

Listen on Soundcloud

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:32 pm

There are some advantages to having Live as master.
Timesignature changes sent from scenes that will work with Reason 4 to name 1 reason.

Routing a signal from reason to Live to bidule to Live within a single track. Perhaps slap some hardware on it.

sgx

Post by sgx » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:02 am

Awesome, so it sounds like it is fixed PLUS you can freeze Reason now! That's great news.