Calling all DJ's out there.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
claudek

Post by claudek » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:27 pm

Is it posible to only tag ceratin regions? ike intro and break or something? Where is there more info on tagging on Ableton site?
Mac G4 Quicksilver 1000GHz / Motu 828 /OSX 10.3.9
&
Mac Ibook G4 800GHz OSX 10.3.9 /Core Audio/M Audio Oxy 8
PC: ASUS 2.8 GHz P4 / XP

Live 5.02

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:44 pm

claudek wrote:Is it posible to only tag ceratin regions? ike intro and break or something? Where is there more info on tagging on Ableton site?
well, the way you do that is take the whole song in the arrange window and cut & paste the parts you need - tag and name how you like, then consolidate the pieces.

ducktail

Post by ducktail » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:47 pm

Warping is a skill that takes practice. The guys from the Laptopalooza tour know I can warp a techno track visually in about 90 seconds without hearing it. (It took about 5 minutes to warp the bluegrass track about sausages, though ;-)

I learned by warping a friend's library of 500 vinyl tracks :-O

Ducktail
MBP 2.66 i7
Livid Code
APC 40
Korg Microkey
Motu Ultralite
Apogee Duet
Kapture Pad

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:44 pm

i use live to DJ too

yay

Rx

Post by Rx » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:26 am

the thing about warping that totally threw me off was the warp marker that automatically gets added to the end. removing it made things MUCH easier.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

azmills

DJ forum - yes please

Post by azmills » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:10 am

I'm new to production but I've been DJing for many years (vinyl & cd's). I would welcome a DJ specific forum & continue to visit this one to learn about production techniques using Live.

It also takes me forever to "tag" a song for tempo especially if I record it from vinyl first. I have a huge record library & I want to have as much as possible available in Live so the time factor is very discouraging because I want songs tagged completely to use them to best advantage.

I don't have a laptop yet so I've been focusing mostly on production but I want to be informed & capable on the DJ side of things (I will likely integrate my own productions when I feel they are worthy)

Adding a DJ forum isn't about division, for me it's about efficiency. I will continue to visit the other parts of the Ableton forum as well.
AZ Mills: Dual 2.7gig G5, 5gig RAM, MBP 2.2gig C2D, 4gig RAM, Novation ReMote 25, Live 8 suite, Logic Pro 8 Studio, NI Maschine 1.6, various hardware & software

foodfight

Post by foodfight » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:34 am

Good man, azmills!!! Thats pretty much what I've been trying to say all along! I'd love to get my vinyl onto the HD - but I ain't gonna be alive that long!!! I'm having a damn good go though! And as for incorporating your own productions into a Live set, (Beshik - notice no exclamation! :wink: ) that's exactly what I'm working towards, using samples and Reason 2.5. I love doing remixes on the fly using the breaks from one record and and intro/chorus, etc, etc... from another, though - and my live DJ sets are getting more and more complex. I'd love somewhere specific to share what I've learned about the DJ side of live with other like minded souls - and to learn more from everyone else. I think the production side a persons project should run in parallel to the project, and not all mixed into one entity. That's just the way I like to work - I want to know which part of the forum to go to for specific information on seperate uses of Live! (Had to get one exclamation in there, Bushik... Fancy a cigarette? :wink: :wink: )

Rx

Post by Rx » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:24 pm

i think mebbe a performance forum would not be a bad idea, vs a production forum.

i'm also wondering how long before a record label sells warp-marked waves in addition to vinyl - or perhaps instead of vinyl. as there are some labels that are not producing physical media at all, it would be to their advantage to make their tracks usable from the get-go.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:38 pm

that would be an interesting business to get into, selling warp-marked tracks...

rs

Rx

Post by Rx » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:45 pm

gimme wavs and i'd be happy to warpmark the tracks...
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

drush

Post by drush » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:48 pm

you mean you'll warpmark mine? ;)

Rx

Post by Rx » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:52 pm

yah - i don't have much in terms of vinyl, so i wouldn't mind exchanging some warpmarking for some tracks.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

D K

Post by D K » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:45 am

all the techniques used to produce music in live are the same that you would use to ready pre-recorded trax for a d.j. set.
producers create music, dj's play it..right?-wrong! once you change the music through manipulation of any kind, you are producing something unique and new.
my point is that with this new technology, the lines are so blurred it's
kind of pointless to subdivide a forum for information on techniques that are used wether you dj, produce, or perform.
i also believe an open singular forum is quite beneficial in the sense that
people who only play other peoples music can be privy to the knowledge
of those who created it.

:wink:

Rx

Post by Rx » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:02 pm

this is true - and tha happy accident that some producer chanced upon can become a useful technique for a dj, and vice versa.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

InfamousLight

Forum

Post by InfamousLight » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:10 am

Your welcome to discuss this dj stuff on my label forum. I'm getting lonely over there :(

If anyone is really interested - i'd be happy to create a dj specific forum on the website. ie for laptop/computer dj related discussion (not specific to any software though).

Also, i'm running a laptop/computer dj contest that i'm hoping some of you here may be interested in:

http://www.infamouslightrecordings.com/ ... c.php?t=36

:P

PJ.