Having massive breakup and stuttering, lots of freeze files

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Ashmil

Having massive breakup and stuttering, lots of freeze files

Post by Ashmil » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:01 pm

Hi all

Problem: I've got a project with a fair few tracks, but they are all frozen, and CPU is running fairly low. Despite this, the project has reached a point where it's stuttering and failing to play on a massive scale. I guess it's disk related, but I don't really get why. The number of freeze files being used really shouldn't be a problem, at least as far as I can see. If I use Cubase to play back an equivalent quantity of simultaneous audio, it's fine, and I'd be able to play back plenty more in addition.

Anyone know why Live might be struggling? It's been fine up until this point in the project, but I seem to have reached some kind of threshold.

Thanks

Ash

laird

Post by laird » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:39 pm

Mac? PC?

If PC, check to see how fragmented your HD is, maybe that project is scattered all over the place (or maybe just one of those frozen files is scattered all over the place)

Ashmil

Post by Ashmil » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:54 pm

PC - and you're right, I should of course defrag. Will do!

markone

Post by markone » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:23 am

I have exactly the same problem. I believe one of the reasons this occurs is that when you freeze a track, the wav created is of 32-bit quality (can someone confrim?). As soon as I play about 20 frozen tracks simulataneously with a couple of VSTs as send effects (which cannot be frozen) it turns into a stuttering mess and the cpu meter jumps around between 91 - 98%.

I have over 30GB left on my hard drive, a 3GB of ram and have defragged.

The only problem I forsee is that my processor isn't great. Its a Dimension 5100 Pentium 4 Processor 630 with HT technology (3.00GHz, 800MHz fsb, 2MB cache).

Any tips would be welcomed. Do I just need a more powerful processor??