?: putting crowd noise into a live set (tastefully)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:05 am

Leave a recorder with an overhead mic on the crowd on next time you do a set. Then you can get exactly the right noises. I dont suggest you use Live to record itself and a mic input unless you know you have loads of CPU free.

Most canned crowd noise sounds shit IMHO and doesnt really fit, but careful blending of noise from you own gigs cna work really well - also the bonus is the music thats coming out over the PA will be yours too.
Nothing to see here - move along!

koneko

Post by koneko » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:01 am

i guess it really depends how you do it. squarepusher made a whole fake-live album this way (ultravisitor)
but if you feel its a bad idea, if you think its cheezy, if you dont really stand behind it, dont put it

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:12 am

yeah. i managed to get it sounding nice. once i got over the idea of stroking my own cock in musical format it was all good. i couldn't resist putting a sidechain though ;) it makes the music sound so much clearer!
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:56 am

Machinate wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:to listen to some modern and professional crowd placement, try and download some Eric Prydz live mixes which he has post produced in the studio.
I would personally rather eat a toaster oven... sry ;)
dont be sorry for not having taste bro, i forgive you completely :)

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:48 pm

are you gonna add a laugh track, too?

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:51 pm

dj superflat wrote:are you gonna add a laugh track, too?
i might at the end. i sampled this iron maiden live show where they say some pretty silly things.

the whole thing is pretty silly actually ;)

i couldn't include my chocolate salty balls remix for copyright reasons though... :( next time!

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:55 pm

I record my DJ/VJ sets to a mini DV recorder.

The main Live mix is piped straight from a mixer aux send, and mixed with ambient crowd noise from a shotgun mic pointing at the crowd. The same video that goes to the projectors goes to the recorder.

The main mix is ducked, so it drops with increased crowd volume, and keeps the main mix clean when there's little crowd noise. It's mixed and recorded live.

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:13 pm

hambone1 wrote:I record my DJ/VJ sets to a mini DV recorder.

The main Live mix is piped straight from a mixer aux send, and mixed with ambient crowd noise from a shotgun mic pointing at the crowd. The same video that goes to the projectors goes to the recorder.

The main mix is ducked, so it drops with increased crowd volume, and keeps the main mix clean when there's little crowd noise. It's mixed and recorded live.
marry me?

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:25 pm

People listen to a DJ/Dance set for the beat and groove. Regardless of whether its live or not.

DJ Shadow (my personal fave) has a live CD called "Live! In Tune And On Time" recorded with crowd noise. It has just enought crowd feedback to remind you it is a live album, but not so much that you couldn't take it out of context and it wouldn't work for the reason stated above.

Your sets remind me of his aesthetic and artistry.

He fades ouot the crowd noise at the beginning and puts in a few choice tracks that work best with heavy noise. The rest is clean.

I can see you using delay or looping (while keeping it obvious you are looping) the cheers. Like making the crowd part of the recording/groove. Like how it is at a good show where folks are actually dancing instead of standing and watching.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:57 pm

The idea itself seems a little cheesy in the abstract but I don't think I've heard a significant example of this. I'm sure if I heard it done the right way, I'd be pleasantly suprised that I liked it.

As far as the name yelling, not sure about that one. I think I would prefer a single person saying the name (kinda pseudo-rapping it?) when it's time for the break, instead of a whole crowd rooting the name over and over like a religous chant.

Come to think of it, I do think I've heard underworld do it and I liked it.

In the end I'd say it's all what works for you. Don't worry too much about what other people think. And especially don't worry about if anyone notices it's done in the studio or not! Noone notices about that one. And if they did notice it was done beforehand, they don't care!

I think it's pretty effective when there's a wash of ambient crowd/city/nature, etc noise like that in the background. And then it drops out from underneath it all leaving just the bare bones groove on top. :)

JJarvis

Post by JJarvis » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:46 pm

I seem to remember a track by Jan Jelinek that came out a few years ago that used crowd claps very effectively. I can't seem to remember the name of that track though.
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:55 pm

i got it sounding proper. just enough to remind you that it was recorded infront of a huge screaming audience, but not enough that it gets annoying.

you guys should check out the tune 'kyrian bee bop' on bassnectar.net he's a good friend of mine. he gets the whole crowd doing the queen 'we will rock you beat' and then samples it. so fucking dope...

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:20 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
Machinate wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:to listen to some modern and professional crowd placement, try and download some Eric Prydz live mixes which he has post produced in the studio.
I would personally rather eat a toaster oven... sry ;)
dont be sorry for not having taste bro, i forgive you completely :)
lol -you must be right, cuz I like *your* music!
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

kosovopascal

Post by kosovopascal » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:51 pm

the klf did it a lot and it was awesome
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_hnYKTys8rU

Last train to trance central...
Macbook 1gig/MOTU Traveler
www.myspace.com/kosovopascal