Mastering limiter made by Ableton

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
suie_paparude

Mastering limiter made by Ableton

Post by suie_paparude » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:47 pm

That would be great...a mastering limiter made by ableton
Also sidechaining compressor.
http://www.suiepaparude.ro
MBPro,Live(1.5-8),Sampler,Operator,Analog,Reaktor,Pluggo,Kore,Mode,Bias Peak,Sonalksis,Reason,Audio Damage,Absynth,Massive,Korg Legacy collection + controller,FAW Circle,Synplant

posssu

Post by posssu » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:49 am

Actually a whole mastering suite made by Ableton and included (or possibility to buy as a Live pack) would rock.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:59 am

I don't get why everyone wants Ableton to make stuff like this when there's a gazillion plugin developers already out there making great plugins. Why not let Ableton concentrate on making Live better?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:14 am

snakedogman wrote:I don't get why everyone wants Ableton to make stuff like this when there's a gazillion plugin developers already out there making great plugins. Why not let Ableton concentrate on making Live better?
Define "better" :wink:

glamourboy

Post by glamourboy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:29 pm

snakedogman wrote:I don't get why everyone wants Ableton to make stuff like this when there's a gazillion plugin developers already out there making great plugins. Why not let Ableton concentrate on making Live better?
stability and cpu economy.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:27 am

CPU Economy = compromises in sound quality.

Not what you want in a mastering limiter.

suie_paparude

Post by suie_paparude » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:54 am

both logic and cubase more recently have mastering limiters in their effects packages.an ordinary limiter,a sidechaining compressor,a mastering limter would be great in Live's environment.
of course there are 3-d party plugins
so...why did ableton developed sampler when there are tons of vst samplers ?
or operator when there is fm7-8 and other options ?
And Covert Operators making such a good work for sampler/simpler/operator ?
But the main reason i miss these plugins in live is the fact that i use extensively live effects/instruments and i like their sound and simplicity so much.in my music these and pluggo make the difference.And if Live is a one stop solution then these essential plugins in my opinion are a must
We opened Depeche Mode in their concert in Bucharest in 2006.Pendulum,Ragga Twins,Aquasky,Plump Dj's, etc and i am proud of that.I use only Ableton from 2003.
http://www.suiepaparude.ro
MBPro,Live(1.5-8),Sampler,Operator,Analog,Reaktor,Pluggo,Kore,Mode,Bias Peak,Sonalksis,Reason,Audio Damage,Absynth,Massive,Korg Legacy collection + controller,FAW Circle,Synplant

glamourboy

Post by glamourboy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:09 am

Tarekith wrote:CPU Economy = compromises in sound quality.

er... excuse me? what i mean is that a plugin optimized specifically for use with Live is sure to use less cpu, right? and load faster, and never crash etc.

i can't understand why anyone would oppose to live being a "one stop solution".

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:16 am

glamourboy wrote:
Tarekith wrote:CPU Economy = compromises in sound quality.

er... excuse me? what i mean is that a plugin optimized specifically for use with Live is sure to use less cpu, right? and load faster, and never crash etc.
False logic there. An Ableton plugin CAN crash Live and use up all of its CPU.

Louis.maestro

Post by Louis.maestro » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:45 pm

Compressor cant be used to make a limiter?????? :S

posssu

Post by posssu » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:07 am

Louis.maestro wrote:Compressor cant be used to make a limiter?????? :S
Yea I that's true.. Compressor 2 even has a preset called "Limiter". Are there some special features a dedicated limiter would have?
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

966sf

Post by 966sf » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:26 am

i think that people are interested in seeing whole mastering suites and not just a limiter. Probably people are looking for Multi-band compression and limiting which are offered in Live Packs for free or for very little cost. And hey, you can make one yourself using Racks. People basically just want given to them in one drag and drop plugin a la Izotope Ozone. But a full mastering plugin will never have economical use of CPU because they are pretty much a big set of plugins under one interface. A bunch of plugins, can't you do that in Live? oh yeah, racks.
Macbook Pro 15" Core Duo 2.16ghz 2GB ram; Live 6.0.10; Live 7.0.7; Digi 003 Rack; Novation Remote Zero SL;Faderfox micromodul LC2, Korg Kontrol49; M-Audio Trigger Finger

glamourboy

Post by glamourboy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:22 am

compressor has a minimum attack of 0.30 milliseconds, so it won't help you protect the sound system you're using. max output will be the same with or without it.

steff3

Post by steff3 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:46 am

[quote="suie_paparude"]both logic and cubase more recently have mastering limiters in their effects packages.an ordinary limiter,a sidechaining compressor,a mastering limter would be great in Live's environment.
of course there are 3-d party plugins
so...why did ableton developed sampler when there are tons of vst samplers ?
or operator when there is fm7-8 and other options ?
And Covert Operators making such a good work for sampler/simpler/operator ?
[/quote]

no, the usefullness of Sampler and Operator is quite obvious - you can use them in ReWire-Slave-Mode, so you can use Ableton's MIDI facilities.

but a mastering suite is - well, get Ozone or something .....

best

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:10 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
Define "better" :wink:
Better horizontal zooming in the Arrangement View; this is no small thing IMO, Logic beats the snot out of Live in regards to zooming and editing in the Arrangement. In Live selecting all tracks and option dragging them to change all tracks sizes at once is clumsy at bes compared to Logic's magnifying glass click/drag/ and zooming both vertically and horizontally in one simple step.
Some way to go from full page to the regulation clip edit sub window that Live defaults to for MIDI and audio editing! It's strange to me that a DAW like Live does not have any way to set a keyboard shortcut for expanding the Clip View to full size for those times when you want to surgically edit MIDI or automation data.

live has lived too long in the two window, only one window open world, and at this point with the features it has, it hinders it's workflow.

I could go on. I love Live, just wish it was set up with power user features as well as the Garage Band philosophy.
:)