Ripped files from vinyl it is impossilble to warp

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
frank bash

Ripped files from vinyl it is impossilble to warp

Post by frank bash » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:03 pm

i got 400 tracks ripped from vinyl.
my problem is how to warp them?

autowarping failed! sometimes more then 20 yellow warpmakers

manual ?(ha ha) with a other program?

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:21 pm

You will need 20 warp markers at least if you recorded from vinyl as the tempo isn't constant.

There isn't any external programme to does warping AFAIK. If Autowarp isn't working for you, manual is all there's left.

Autowarping needs a bit of massaging to work nicely. There are a few threads on it, have a search.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:43 pm

Autowarp gives a very good starting point most of the time. You will ALWAYS have to make manual adjustments to warping. Warping vinyl is time consuming because of the small tempo changes that happen throughout the track due to the platter speeding up and slowing down slightly. Warping vinyl often times is VERY time consuming and takes lots of markers.

If you don't want to spend the time yourself, there are several people who will do it for you for a fee.
[Guide to Mixing in Arrangement View^][Guide to Warping in Ableton Live^]

frank bash

thanx

Post by frank bash » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:09 pm

here is a link from those guys who ripping and warping
http://www.vonsdigital.com/ but it is to much money (4$ per track) and i got more than 1000 records

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:07 pm

roll up your sleeves and get going then.

youll probably work out which records you really like in the process!

Monkey Mouse

Post by Monkey Mouse » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:10 am

vinkalmann wrote:Autowarp gives a very good starting point most of the time. You will ALWAYS have to make manual adjustments to warping. Warping vinyl is time consuming because of the small tempo changes that happen throughout the track due to the platter speeding up and slowing down slightly. Warping vinyl often times is VERY time consuming and takes lots of markers.
Exactly - but taking your time to set the markers right is worth 10x that in not having to worry about beat matching problems.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:40 am

think of it like this.

back in the day we used to buy records,
bring them home,
listen and practice beat matching for hours on end.

now you buy records, come home from shop.
listen and record (into a 2 track editor, not live)

instead of practicing beat matching for hour on end,
you warp your tracks for some minutes each.
while you are warping, you will get to know your records inside and out.

either way you need to spend hours with your record collection
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:10 am

I've warped my entire record collection - mostly Breakbeat:

Krafty Kuts
Freq Nasty
Plump DJs
Moguai
Freestylers
Soul of Man
Adam Freeland
Tayo
...and so on.

This was the first warping I'd ever done - and it was a STEEEEEP learning curve. But it's a great way to learn. Having to adjust for ever bit of wow/flutter from the turntable is really being thrown in at the deep end.

ALWAYS RECORD YOUR TRACKS FROM THE TURNTABLE WITH PITCH LOCK ENGAGED!!!

magneticboy

Post by magneticboy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:24 am

Yo Patch, where do you play out in bristol?
Ive been doing the same in west Wales Cardiff Swansea for years yet now live bristol sides,
be great to hook up with the like minded.
apologies on hijacking this thread but it seems about warped up now.
Peace out
Magnetic

Brainstormer

Post by Brainstormer » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:02 pm

I also play breaks, I ripped most from vinyl, some auto-mark themselves with loads of markers, some don't. This also happens with stuff I've written on Cubase, which is rock solid. So it isn't down to the deck BPM being inconstant. That's just the nature of the breaks... Spend a bit of time deleting the offending markers and place them manually, it's all worth it in the end

coop80

Post by coop80 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:14 am

I manually auto-warp all of my tracks. That way I have the piece of mind in knowing that they're always going to be spot on.

Tip. Add a midi track, load in impulse and lay a straight 4 beat down for 1 bar, no snare or hi-hats, just the kick drum. Have this playing when you warp your tracks. It helps to ensure that you're beats are matching bang on and if you warp all your tracks to the same kick drum, you'll know that they'll all play perfectly together. It might be a bit tricky if you're warping breaks with them not being straight 4 beat patterns so you could try using a snare on 2 and 4 instead.

I try to warp after every 8th bar (unless it's a real bitch and it needs more). As most dance tracks are built around 8 bar loops you'll be able to see visually where the track is going to build up or break down.

Hope this helps.

Coop

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:53 pm

I've manually warped way more than 400 tracks. Took me a good month or more. Tedious as hell. Of course, I was getting paid for it, so it wasn't so bad. :)

HolySpiritSoldier

Post by HolySpiritSoldier » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:18 am

I have only recently got my head around warping recorded vinyl.

I was pulling my hair out for ages, as no-one had told me how to do it, and I was doing it wrong.

I was double-clicking (pinning) the markers as I'd move along each track, which meant I usually had to lay down way too many markers.
I thought - this will take forever, but a mate then showed me what I was doing wrong -
Pin the first marker (1) to the first beat, then get bar 2 marker moved into place (but don't double click!) , then 3 (no more double clicking!!), then you can probably go to bar 9, then 17, then way into the track somewhere, then around 105 etc... you might make one double-click pin around the middle of the song, and maybe one near the end, but you shouldn't need more than a couple of markers per song, unless your deck you're recording from is a really wonky belt drive deck!

Probably you all know this, but someone might be doing it the way I was at first, in which case, that might be a help.

I think i just got stuck with that cause before I took the time to record a load of vinyl in, I had only ever used Live in production, with short enough audio clips, so I was just used to being slap-happy with the markers, and I didn't realise you can't do that with long samples...

its all good now tho... SOOO GOOOD!!!

:wink: