REASON 4 - Propellerheads finally announce!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:30 pm

NDA!!!!!

can't really talk about the beta experience.
Ahhh.... cool, thanks for letting us know. I should have guessed.

highmarcs

Ironic that it's called REASON.

Post by highmarcs » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:04 am

Everytime a new version of Reason is released, all the critics commend it except for it's lack of support for audio recording and vst's.

I don't care much either way really, since I don't use Reason, so I really have no stake in this issue. I just find it beyond reason that Reason would not record audio yet. I've heard so many people gripe for so long that they wish Reason could be their primary, self contained app. Alas, it can't be because it won't record audio.

In the reviews of Reason 3, most publications intimated that they were surprised to see the lack of audio abilities in 3, and certainly expected them in 4.

Surprisingly, there is no mention of such abilities being added to 4. What is Propellerheads thinking? $500.00 for a one trick MIDI pony? Whatever.

forge

Re: Ironic that it's called REASON.

Post by forge » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:20 am

highmarcs wrote:Everytime a new version of Reason is released, all the critics commend it except for it's lack of support for audio recording and vst's.

I don't care much either way really, since I don't use Reason, so I really have no stake in this issue. I just find it beyond reason that Reason would not record audio yet. I've heard so many people gripe for so long that they wish Reason could be their primary, self contained app. Alas, it can't be because it won't record audio.

In the reviews of Reason 3, most publications intimated that they were surprised to see the lack of audio abilities in 3, and certainly expected them in 4.

Surprisingly, there is no mention of such abilities being added to 4. What is Propellerheads thinking? $500.00 for a one trick MIDI pony? Whatever.
really they could just keep everyone happy by making all of the modules available as VSTs lke FLStudio does

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:24 am

forge wrote:
highmarcs wrote:Everytime a new version of Reason is released, all the critics commend it except for it's lack of support for audio recording and vst's.

really they could just keep everyone happy by making all of the modules available as VSTs lke FLStudio does
No because then you would lose the modular features which is what Reason is essentially all about.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:49 am

Fledz wrote:
forge wrote:

No because then you would lose the modular features which is what Reason is essentially all about.
really?? you dont think maelstrom or thor in Live on a track where you can route audio through the filters in maelstrom seems like a good idea?

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:18 am

Personally, I thought a genius Idea would be to use the combinator as a VST, you could then create your own modular instrument and export it as a VST into any host, but alas everyone on the Reason forums said i was an idiot. Thought it was quite a good idea myself.

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:50 am

forge wrote:
Fledz wrote:
forge wrote: really they could just keep everyone happy by making all of the modules available as VSTs lke FLStudio does
really?? you dont think maelstrom or thor in Live on a track where you can route audio through the filters in maelstrom seems like a good idea?
Oh fuck yea, absolutely, but you should be able to do that through rewire, yet still keep it in it's modular form within Reason. Who knows, maybe they did add that option, though I doubt it. Would be pretty cool.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:31 am

Fledz wrote:
forge wrote:
Fledz wrote: No because then you would lose the modular features which is what Reason is essentially all about.
Oh fuck yea, absolutely, but you should be able to do that through rewire, yet still keep it in it's modular form within Reason. Who knows, maybe they did add that option, though I doubt it. Would be pretty cool.
yeah full duplex rewire was the other big omission - I said all of this when R3 came out - that to me is what lets it down for use by people who already have a host and lots of other plug-ins - the assumption by propellerheads has always been that you want to use it in their rack in that way, but it would be much more impressive to me if I could just load them on Live tracks like I can with VSTs

forge

Post by forge » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:32 am

Emissary wrote:Personally, I thought a genius Idea would be to use the combinator as a VST, you could then create your own modular instrument and export it as a VST into any host, but alas everyone on the Reason forums said i was an idiot. Thought it was quite a good idea myself.
yeah my experiences with their forum were like that

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:45 am

Send my regards to "Betalouie" :wink:

All this 10 pager proves is that there is a market for everything. Some like Reason, some like Komplete, some like Live, some...

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the whole rewire protocol an emulation of the top device in Reason? Thus very unlikely to change at all in the future.

Its better to focus on tools that are updated. Like 3rd party MIDI drivers and Audio routers like soundflower.
On mac this requires not a single third party application in conjunction with Live. Its all under the hood. I aggregated Soundflower with my soundcard. Works fine.
The latency is pretty much equal to rewire, but at least soundflower is being worked on. And the IAC midi driver on mac is tight enough for me.

PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:39 pm

on the real, aprt from the arp they just put in reason i dont really like it, it looks more bloody complicated than the other versions that were complicated. But THO may be good, i am waiting to see if Live 7 will be dropping soon.

Meffy

Official word on Reason 3 and 4 beta compatibility

Post by Meffy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:20 pm

Anyone who wanted to join the Reason 4 beta testing but didn't because you'd have to uninstall version 3, rejoice. It was suggested to have just one version on your machine at a time for neatness' sake, but the official word from the Props is that you can safely keep R3 installed and run it as usual. There are no shared components so there ought not to be any conflicts. Yes, I asked whether it was all right to post this information and got the okay.

headquest

Post by headquest » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:39 pm

hoffman2k wrote: Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the whole rewire protocol an emulation of the top device in Reason? Thus very unlikely to change at all in the future.
No, it's something far more powerful, which to be honest nobody has fully taken advantage of. Rewire allows for:
* 256 audio channels
* 4080 MIDI channels
* Transport syncronisation
* Information transfer (e.g. patch/sample names from the slave to be transmitted to the host).

In terms of people taking advantage of this powerful protocol, my personal no.1 FR is for Ableton to sort out VST/AU hosting when Live is in slave mode (which is perfectly possible within the Rewire spec).
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

Heinz Graaf

Post by Heinz Graaf » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:31 pm

PurpleHaze wrote:on the real, aprt from the arp they just put in reason i dont really like it, it looks more bloody complicated than the other versions that were complicated. But THO may be good, i am waiting to see if Live 7 will be dropping soon.
complicated? 8O

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:12 am

Live 7 will be good, but why hate on Reason 4?????

Reason 3 is a tool like any other piece of software. Reason 4 gives you a little more.

All of these threads kill me. Every piece of software out ther has it's benefits, strengths, and weaknesses.

But all in all they are all useful, and for the most economical.

So why dis any of them?

That's Dumb Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-