need good looping device that syncs with Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
echoechoechoechoechoechoe

need good looping device that syncs with Live

Post by echoechoechoechoechoechoe » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:29 pm

well that's about it. i'm looking for a looper that will synch tempo with live if i need/want it to. it has to have decent quality, and preferably something i can easily find, as i don't have time o track down some obscure piece of equipment for weeks. reverse-play would be nice too.

there must be some loopers lurking 'round here, so.... what say yous?

-echo

loophead

Post by loophead » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:46 pm

Expert Sleepers 'Augustus Loop' Damn fun almost free plug !

Although it wont sync (today) Os is working on it and my understanding is it will in future. For $20 this AU plug is a no brainer - go get it ! 8O

You could also look at PSP's pcm42 emulation (9 seconds only) but quite nice for vintage (?).

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:54 pm

what??? Live is the ultimate looper! Session view, midi foot pedal, make a few midi map assignments, then just hit the pedal to start recording, and again to stop/loop. its as simple as that. Live 4 will add the reverse feature, and the ability to route tracks in such a way as to overdub. Feel free to ask specific questions, but Live is definitely a great looper in its own right--I've gigged with it dozens of times doing all-live (NO pre-recorded material) looping using bass, guitar, keys, and drums along with some controllers and the FCB 1010 mid foot board. I switched to Live after getting fed up with the limitations of hardware loopers, and couldn't be happier.

Ryan

toastjam

Post by toastjam » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:47 pm

Ryan-
I love to hear how you set up your FCB1010 to record/play your loops in a live setting. I just got the 1010 and just figured out the basics like how to trigger scenes using note on/off commands. I'd love to take the next step and record some loops on the fly and play 'em with the rest of the song. I've been using a boomerang for a few years during gigs and it sounds great, but since it's not quantized to a grid the loops eventually tend to wander out-of-sync.

os

Post by os » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:51 pm

loophead wrote:Although it wont sync (today) Os is working on it and my understanding is it will in future.
I have indeed been working on it. To the extent that it's done. :) Expect to see a beta in the next couple of weeks, with some other new features too.

loophead

Post by loophead » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:55 pm

:D :D GO OS !! :D :D

Can't wait. This is going to work out so well in Live 4 ! Thanks for the heads up !

the8bitdeity

Post by the8bitdeity » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:55 pm

i keep forgetting to register my copy of Augustus looper, it's quality!

loophead

Post by loophead » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:04 pm

8bit !??!?!??! Suport those you love ! How can you 'forget'. Go there RIGHT NOW !!!! :roll:

the8bitdeity

Post by the8bitdeity » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:09 pm

chill dude, it's not like I'm using it 24/7. I downloaded it, tried it, liked it, now I've got to pay so I can unlock it. Right now I've got a lot on my plate so I haven't thought to register + learn it. I try not to have too many tools that I don't know how to use effectively. I'm no pirate.
arrrrr

speaking of pirates, one walks into a bar with a steering wheel on his penis. the bartender goes "hey, you got a steering wheel on your penis!" to which the pirate replies "arrr an' it's drivin' me nuts!"

loophead

Post by loophead » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:16 pm

:? Hey man not trying to insinuate nothin ! :lol: Just the little support guys like Os get means he will build more stuff... Just trying to promote a software that I think was long overdue in the marketplace. Thats all :wink:

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:17 pm

I am trying to use the FCB1010 with Live as well. I must say it is really a
pain in the ass to program. If anyone can give me any pointers I would be very gratefull.

the8bitdeity

Post by the8bitdeity » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:19 pm

loophead wrote::? Hey man not trying to insinuate nothin ! :lol: Just the little support guys like Os get means he will build more stuff... Just trying to promote a software that I think was long overdue in the marketplace. Thats all :wink:
It's cool, just making sure I didn't come off wrong. I'm a big fan of different delays, I'm one of the few people that donated for More Feedback Machine I think.

loophead

Post by loophead » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:21 pm

Dito Urs is great. Same here sorry if my quick post sounded wrong. I'll be more careful. :roll:

Its just that I mailed OS that post above and asked what was happening (I did some beta on Augustus) got back the same reply he posted here and was excited ! :P

echoechoechoechoechoechoe

more specific

Post by echoechoechoechoechoechoe » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:51 pm

hey thanks for all the replies, folks.

i have heard of some solutions with the FCB1010 but from what i can gleam, it still involves going back to the computer at some point. or am i missing something?

Ryan maybe you could elaborate on how this is done? does it eat up tracks like mad, and will i be able to do it while someone else is controlling Live?

i want to build guitar loops within the looping machine (or plug-in, as it goes), while the guy manning Live can change tempo, trigger loops and do all the fun Live stuff and we don't get in each other's way, we don't overload the cpu and disk and i stay synced to the tempo.

any more insight would be great.

also, if i'm being unclear, please lemme know :)

-choechoe

Lucid

Post by Lucid » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:20 pm

All about the FCB 1010 and controlling looping functions in Ableton

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6161