Question about Live 4 = midi ports

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
amo

Question about Live 4 = midi ports

Post by amo » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:49 am

I can't find it on the feature list: How many different midi inputs can we use simultaneously ? There are two in live 3 but since we can play Instruments in live 4 it would be nice to have more (I need in a show i'm performing to have 2 midi keyboards and one other controller = 3 different midi ports)

:-)

Per Boysen

Post by Per Boysen » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:03 am

Are you aware of the fact that each midi port submits 16 midi channels? You can play 16 synths fully with one midi port.

And each one of those 16 channels have 128 midi controllers. And each one of those 128 controllers can take on a value between 1 and 128. In Live you can set all those controllers up to tweak different functions.

This is indeed a lot. And now you can even double it, because Live software handles two midi inputs. If you still need to physically connect more than two devices to the computer there are cheap midi merge boxes available at any music store.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

amo

Post by amo » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:10 am

Well, I'm aware of the number of midi channels and controllers, the thing is that I play simultaneously the two keybords and the controller.... I haven't thought of a merger, thanks for that. Still, would be easier with more midi inputs.... Let's see what ableton says

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:25 pm

As I am to understand it, the limitations on the number of MIDI input ports in Live 4 is removed. So.... as many MIDI ports as you have physically=number of MIDI input ports Live will support (not to mention virtual ports over OS X IAC Buss). This is great news to many people that want to use several controllers, as too many nowdays are manufactured without midi through capabilities (Dopefer is one good exception to that rule).
I cant think of a sig

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:32 pm

great ! thanks, and let's hope.....

the8bitdeity

Post by the8bitdeity » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:58 pm

I just hope in Live 4 on OSX they'll have dynamic port sensing. I really hate having to have any possible Midi destination open before I open Live.

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:00 pm

Per Boysen...

You're not entirely correct... you cannot double... live does not check which 'port' the midi data comes from.

So if midi note C2 on channel 1 comes in, regardless of which port (or input) you set it from, it will still play. Currently live does not differentiate between which midi port/input you entered the note/cc value from.

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:08 pm

Please keep in mind Gaspode, that you are speaking in terms earlier than Live 4. Live 4 will allow you to assign specific MIDI channels to specific MIDI tracks within the Live session environment. Take a close look at a MIDI track in the session view screenshot:
http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=l ... eatureList
You will clearly see menus for choosing the MIDI port (set to "All Ins") and a menu for choosing the MIDI channel (set to "All Channels"). This is great news for many of us that have backgrounds in keyboard playing, as keysplits will now e possible... Not to mention you could even set up to play your whole key range, except 4 or 5 keys you could use to start and stop effects... The possibilities are limitless! Cant wait cant wait cant wait cant wait!
Ahem...
Sorry about that... just gets away from me sometime. 8)
I cant think of a sig