[OT] I've arrived in Afghanistan

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:38 am

dude i hope u make it back in one piece

just a thought, theres probably less rick involved in getting friendly with the mob or something to pay the bills

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:29 am

DOOD!

somewhat dangerous?????

Afghanistan is totally fucked up right now!

There is very little media coming out of the country that shows anything of
value. However there was an independent aussie journalist over there about
6 months ago or so. From his report it would seem the aussie SAS
(possible the best trained SF in the world) are reduced to staying inside
their compound. They can go out for short trips to town but other then that
there is nowhere they can go without dying.

Money....... Man I respect you....... Take a LOT of time to make this choice.

-Ben

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:13 am

Anyhow, do the right thing. Stay out of the way of the bullets. And bring your heinie home all in one piece. Because we love you very much.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:55 pm

D K wrote:man, i can't help it...
you posted this in a public forum.
so i'll reply.
you're excited about making money to hunt down/kill people.
exactly what makes you better than them? or in the right?
this touched a real nerve in me. how sad.
i hope you live to remember it all.
be safe, good luck.
That's fine. I don't mind the critique, in fact I expect it.

Yes, I feel excited and good about hunting down and capturing (but killing if necessary) the Taliban. I believe in good and evil, right and wrong. I feel that my actions in the coming year will have a net contribution of good to the universe by eliminating people who are fundamentally evil. I'll find out if all the stories I've heard are true, and hopefully confirm that the Afghan people are profoundly grateful for the presence and work of Canadian troops.

I also believe that my presence in Afghanistan will protect my family in Canada indirectly;

Our presence in Afghanistan is a result of the removal of the Taliban from power; the Taliban needed to be destroyed as they harboured those who had attacked us, and we had to reinforce the terrible consequences of attacking a NATO member, thus maintaining our credible deterrance against other potential enemies.

Our presence in Afghanistan has forced those who would plot to attack my family and friends in North America and Europe to react to us, as opposed to vice-versa. We have siezed the strategic initiative, and we fight in a time and place of our choosing; rural Kandahar province vice Toronto.

But I'll be honest, there are selfish motives as well... Money, prestige, etc are all other motives. But please be aware there are a lot of things I disagree with that I won't do for money because they are against my other morals; I don't deal drugs, steal, or commit fraud. They're all profitable (and in the case of drug dealing prestigious in a way), but they're against my base morality. So I can only engage my selfish motives if my fundamental values are not in opposition.

I hope that kind of clarifies my point of view on this...
Last edited by M. Bréqs on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D K

Post by D K » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:04 pm

killing is wrong, so you're willing to kill.
it's quite clear, you're thinking is one sided.
and narrow minded.
i think perhaps it's a good thing that you go...
when you find out what it's really all about,
hopefully your views won't be so fucked up.
if you survive.
and if you can sleep after taking lives, perhaps in a dream you'll realize you are the problem with this world.
go and be with your own kind.
good luck

shtreimel

Post by shtreimel » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:44 pm

D K wrote:killing is wrong, so you're willing to kill.
Killing isn't wrong perse, it depends on the context.
D K wrote:it's quite clear, you're thinking is one sided.
And your comments are what exactly?
D K wrote:and if you can sleep after taking lives, perhaps in a dream you'll realize you are the problem with this world.
DK...you're a shmuck!

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:03 pm

Killing is only wrong if you're a Christian!

Good luck, and good move going there instead of Iraq, just make sure the Americans don't shoot you, and try not to ponder too much on why no one wants to actually find Osama in Pakistan...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:06 pm

shtreimel wrote:
D K wrote:killing is wrong, so you're willing to kill.
Killing isn't wrong perse, it depends on the context.
D K wrote:it's quite clear, you're thinking is one sided.
And your comments are what exactly?
D K wrote:and if you can sleep after taking lives, perhaps in a dream you'll realize you are the problem with this world.
DK...you're a shmuck!
"Killing isn't wrong perse, it depends on the context. "

ha ha ha ha, where did they find you? ha ha ha ha, priceless, thank you.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:10 pm

m breqs: eat a dick.

hopefully an apache crashes into the latrine you'll be assigned to.
spreader of butter

minimal

Post by minimal » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:20 pm

What kind of dubass are you?? WTF... I refer to your long aplogy post above, first you say you feel good about going down to somewhere playing the world policeman in order to make this world a better place (question: what does the taliban did to you personally? don't answer to me to this one, answer to yourself) and after a couple of lines you write about something being out of your base morality.
Well, I think you're really idiot, how can you say that going somewhere killing someone is moral, but dealing with drugs isn't.

I have more fear that on this planet there are people with your mind than I fear a couple of poor, ignorant and desperate mens who follow some fanatic because they (mabye) don't have anything left.

I really hope you'll realize how wrong is your point of wiev and action.

muscleandhate

Re: [OT] I'm off to work in Afghanistan

Post by muscleandhate » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:23 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:
smutek wrote:If you want this war so bad and you are so concerned then why don't you go fight? I mean, I know your not going to get to do it in your countries army, and you can't join ours (not yet at least) but with your real world soldiering skills I am sure you could get a job as a contractor at Blackwater.
Well, Smutek's advice (from another post here) is eerily prophetic.

I have volunteered for a deployment to Afghanistan, starting in July and staying for 9 months. I'm not doing contract work as Smu suggested, but I'll be deploying as a member of the Candian Forces, and I'll be starting training on April 2nd.

My team will be operating in Kandahar, which is in southern Afghanistan, away from the relative security of the Capital, Kabul. Unfortunately I cannot be specific about what I will be doing, or in what areas I will be working exactly.

The money's going to be fantastic, so that'll help pay for my new house, but it'll be very austere working conditions, somewhat dangerous and very long, strenuous and stressful hours. I'm planning to take my notebook computer and Live out there with me, but I don't think I'll have much time to work on music (or post on this forum for that matter!!!)

However, that's a small price to pay to put in my part to help out the people there by tracking down and killing / caputuring Taliban; CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency) should be able to get some good work done there if we can provide enough security for their reconstruction efforts.

Unfortunately Smu, I can't get my butt to Iraq right now (the money would be fantastic) until I've cut my teeth with a mission in the region. My experience in Bosnia doesn't ammount for shit as far as Blackwater is concerned, but after my tour in Afghanistan I'll see what oppotrunities develop.

;)
You mad bastard Breqs lol.

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:24 pm

b0unce wrote:m breqs: eat a dick.

hopefully an apache crashes into the latrine you'll be assigned to.
I wish I had the gift with words as our man b0unce. magnificent.

shtreimel

Post by shtreimel » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:26 pm

Kodama wrote:and try not to ponder too much on why no one wants to actually find Osama in Pakistan...
What, he's there? He's contacted you? Facebook'ed you perhaps?

shtreimel

Post by shtreimel » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:31 pm

M. Bréqs puts his ass on the line for something he believes in...it's damn near impossible to find folks like that these days. Oh no wait, we've got courageous ableton live users telling him what's what. Ah Live musicians...pontificating on everything from RAM to why Americans flew their own planes into the twin towers.

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:38 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:
D K wrote:man, i can't help it...
you posted this in a public forum.
so i'll reply.
you're excited about making money to hunt down/kill people.
exactly what makes you better than them? or in the right?
this touched a real nerve in me. how sad.
i hope you live to remember it all.
be safe, good luck.
That's fine. I don't mind the critique, in fact I expect it.

Yes, I feel excited and good about hunting down and capturing (but killing if necessary) the Taliban. I believe in good and evil, right and wrong. I feel that my actions in the coming year will have a net contribution of good to the universe by eliminating people who are fundamentally evil. I'll find out if all the stories I've heard are true, and hopefully confirm that the Afghan people are profoundly grateful for the presence and work of Canadian troops.

I also believe that my presence in Afghanistan will protect my family in Canada indirectly;

Our presence in Afghanistan is a result of the removal of the Taliban from power; the Taliban needed to be destroyed as they harboured those who had attacked us, and we had to reinforce the terrible consequences of attacking a NATO member, thus maintaining our credible deterrance against other potential enemies.

Our presence in Afghanistan has forced those who would plot to attack my family and friends in North America and Europe to react to us, as opposed to vice-versa. We have siezed the strategic initiative, and we fight in a time and place of our choosing; rural Kandahar province vice Toronto.

But I'll be honest, there are selfish motives as well... Money, prestige, etc are all other motives. But please be aware there are a lot of things I disagree with that I won't do for money because they are against my other morals; I don't deal drugs, steal, or commit fraud. They're all profitable (and in the case of drug dealing prestigious in a way), but they're against my base morality. So I can only engage my selfish motives if my fundamental values are not in opposition.

I hope that kind of clarifies my point of view on this...
Fucking hell Breqs, words truely fail me! I just can't get my head around the way you think, and I happen to think that you seem to have intelligence. Though I admit, it must be nice having that capacity of viewing the world from such a basic black and white, good and evil perspective. In anycase, you're just another person fighting for his certain ideas, I suppose, just like the people you'll likely have to kill. I wish you all the best, and sincerely hope that you will not murder another nor be murdered yourself. Good luck.