Post your set up and your sexy cat...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:45 pm

on the table to the right of the computer table on top is a small tube pre that a friend of mine ripped out of an old reel to reel unit. Under that, the first bit is an older polygraph unit from hopkins that i've rewired to accept line level, the filters that were originally used to filter higher frequency information and then reamplify it for the graphing part of the unit, now are used as a para-style eq for outboard. Under that is another low level DC amplifer unit, originally used to amplify low level electrical impulses from certain types of fish which were being used in a study. I've been working to add an imput section to accept unbalanced signal, and routing to the pre at the top of the stack to get the signal up to audio levels. Under the desk there's a graphic eq, a tube noise generator with a continuous control to shape the white/pink generated noise through the frequency range, it's cool cause it goes well up past audible levels, for some interesting nyquistey noises, plus you can give the tubes on the back a good thwack and get some interesting noise ringing resonance. And below that theres a good ole 100 wat Alesis power amp that they were just trashing.
Anyway, not all of it is immediately useful, but fun for making crazy sounds with, and at the price of saving it from the dumpster, worth the trouble.

D K

Post by D K » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:04 pm

damn
8)
that's really rad stuff, cory.
did you use it on your record at all?
you get some really nice sounds on that!

laurence

Post by laurence » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:10 am

pinky wrote:
laurence wrote:pinky...im jealous of your moog-ness :cry: , bravo!
The Source is a way under-rated instrument.If you ever get the chance to buy one, don't hesitate.
will do matey!
I have no pets but enjoy drawing pictures of insects and sending them to people

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:29 pm

D K wrote:damn
8)
that's really rad stuff, cory.
did you use it on your record at all?
you get some really nice sounds on that!
yeah for quite a bit actually, mostly just importing and recording samples to sort of give them a little more charcter, one of the songs was run through the pre amps completely then resampled.

jyoty

Post by jyoty » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:22 am

this is almost embarassing after seeing all these amazing setups..
i just have the basics...and am in desperate need of some sort of interface and then i'll be happy..

detroitechno

Post by detroitechno » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:59 pm

pinky wrote:I know what you mean.Channel 2 has just died on it.Unfortunately money IS extremely tight and I just can't afford a new mixer at the mo.While I know fair bit about synths I'm not too well up on mixers, what would you recommend ?
No disrespect to a previous post, but I wouldn't suggest a mackie. They spend too much money on advertising, which the consumer ends up paying for. Soundcraft is good, Allen & Heath is great. Although they will cost a bit more than the mackie, I feel it's well worth the price difference. The EQ alone on the allen & heath's are more than worth the extra.

If money is super tight, the soundcraft "compact" series would probably do you well. If you can afford a bit more, one of the allen & heaths "mix wizard" series will do you even better. You could probably pick up a used mix wizard for $500'ish.

Good luck, if you need anything else just ask.
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...

detroitechno

Post by detroitechno » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:00 pm

jyoty wrote:Image
What beautiful eyes you have :wink:
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:12 pm

detroitechno wrote:
pinky wrote:I know what you mean.Channel 2 has just died on it.Unfortunately money IS extremely tight and I just can't afford a new mixer at the mo.While I know fair bit about synths I'm not too well up on mixers, what would you recommend ?
No disrespect to a previous post, but I wouldn't suggest a mackie. They spend too much money on advertising, which the consumer ends up paying for. Soundcraft is good, Allen & Heath is great. Although they will cost a bit more than the mackie, I feel it's well worth the price difference. The EQ alone on the allen & heath's are more than worth the extra.

If money is super tight, the soundcraft "compact" series would probably do you well. If you can afford a bit more, one of the allen & heaths "mix wizard" series will do you even better. You could probably pick up a used mix wizard for $500'ish.

Good luck, if you need anything else just ask.
Pinkie,

This is the best Mackie replacement out there, cost effectiveness-wise:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... ype=search

I've heard it in a back to back taste test. To me it sounded a bit more open and natural than a Mackoid. They're built better too.

Sam

ploy

Post by ploy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:22 pm

not much, if there is power then it is hidden well ;)

from left to right:

sennheiser hd 515 - emu1616m - two external harddiscs full of movies and music to sample - rode k2 (damaged :() - notebook (2,4gh and full of bad sound tools) - picture of my girlfriend when she was a little child - microkontrol - pocketdial

(not on the picture: guitars, yamaha p140, shure 606)

M. Bréqs

My old gig rig

Post by M. Bréqs » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:35 am

I haven't posted recent pics of my setup, but this was my old gig rig back in my hardware days. It was too heavy to check on a plane without paying excess Baggage costs, and I had a friggin dolly for it!!!

Ultimately, it was the reason I went 100% software.

It was a full spec ATA flight case I had custom made by www.bigdealcases.com

Everything was pre-wired, all that stuck out the back was the master outs, a firewire cable and the power cord. I would flip on the power bar seen in the rear pics, and everything would come on at once. I could set it down on a Quiklok H stand, pop the lid, plug it in, turn it on and be ready to play in less than three minutes (the time it took for my computer to boot and load my Live set.

My friends and I were in a four piece band, where we had a turntablist, a percussionist, a spoken-word vocalist, and myself.

We would run the audio from the mics on the drums and the poet to the mixer (the left part) where I would send the signals to either Live for sampling or to the myriad of effects loops I had. The Xone could handle a full six seperate sends (six really, two stereo and two mono). The pre mixer stereo went to Live for sampling, the others (post mixer) to the effect units and the Repeater.

The Turntablist went into one of my 6 stereo channels, and I would loop him scratching, beat juggling or just playing phrases. That way he could lay a beatjuggle and I would loop it, then he could start scratching something else.

I had the synth, and was responsible for basslines, and other elements (occasional funky leads or atmospheric pads). I would lay a riff out, loop it, and then worry about coordinating the mix of the other three, capturing and looping their elements.

The front

Seen in this pic, clockwise from top right:
1. Allen and Heath Xone 464 mixer
2. Alesis Q20 multi-effects unit
3. Drawmer DC2476 mastering processor
4. Electrix Warp Factory
5. Electrix Mo-FX
6. Electrix EQ Killer and Filter Queen
7. Electrix Repeater
8. 4 rack space panel for placing my notebook computer

Image Image
The left, and right back

Seen here, mounted at the back:
1. MOTU 828
2. Furman power conditioner
3. Patchbay

The synth that went with it all... It too was in a similar flight case.

Unfortunately I don't like posting my image online, so all y'all get is the setup.

Thinktanx

Re: My old gig rig

Post by Thinktanx » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:37 am

M. Bréqs wrote: Image
The synth that went with it all... It too was in a similar flight case.
Did u sell the Andromeda too? If so, how much do you miss it?
Machinedrum SPS-1 UW MkII, Monomachine SFX-6
Moog Voyager Signature Edition
Virus TI Polar
Live 8, Operator, Sampler
Reaktor 5, Massive, FM8, Sound Toys Bundle
Pro Tools 7.4
Mac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz
Macbook Pro 15-in. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

M. Bréqs

Re: My old gig rig

Post by M. Bréqs » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:07 pm

Thinktanx wrote:
Did u sell the Andromeda too? If so, how much do you miss it?
I miss it once in a while. Sometimes I don't want to boot up the computer and start everything up (I work on computers during the day), I want to just play a keyboard synth. However, I get sonically similar results from high quality soft synths... NI's Pro-53 does punchy synthy bass just as well as the Andromeda (heresy some will say; whatever). For keys, leads and pads I find FM synthesis to be generally superior, and I've fallen in love with Operator.

The portability and universality of a 100% software studio is worth it in the long run. I have a single interface to master, rather than multiple ones. Using the same processes all the time to accomplish whatever I want to do is quite empowering. You can't get that with disparate hardware...

mechcon

Post by mechcon » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:50 am

Went for a jam a a mate's place, spur of a moment thing, and yeah;

(from left)
- Ibanez Guitar
- Behringer UMX 25-key keyboard
- Novation Remote zeroSL
- Powerbook G4 using
* Ableton Live 6
* Massive VST
* Reason 3.0
- Presonus Firebox
- Soundcraft Desktop4-ch mixer
- M-audio Ozonic
- Korg Kaos Pad 3 (holy fuck that thing rocks!)
- Yamaha Amp
- Studio Speakers
- Macbook Pro C2D using;
* Ableton Live 5
* Quartz Composer for pissfarting around
- Didn't catch the name of the piano
- Mic (thanks to me mate who yeah, BEAUTIFUL FUCKING VOICE! SRSLY!!
- Guitar Amp

my setup at home;

- Behringer UMX25
- Remote Zero SL
- Presonus Firebox
- Soundcraft 4 mixer
- 24" 2.16GHz iMac
- 24" dell 2407wfp monitor
iMac 2.16GHz, MacBookPro 2.4GHz, OS10.5.4, Logic Studio, Live6.0.10, Reason4, Presonus Firebox, EvoMK429c, BehringerUMX25, Korg PadKontrol, NovationRemoteSL0.

http://www.mechanisedconvulsions.com

joesapo

Post by joesapo » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:35 am

mechcon wrote:
my setup at home;

- Behringer UMX25
- Remote Zero SL
- Presonus Firebox
- Soundcraft 4 mixer
- 24" 2.16GHz iMac
- 24" dell 2407wfp monitor
I like your setup... Similar to mine at home: keep things simple...

:D

mechcon

Post by mechcon » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:03 am

cheers mate, the trouble is, my desk is too small, and I have a few more things I could have added to the desk too i.e. my powerbook, and my evolution mk429 keyboard too
iMac 2.16GHz, MacBookPro 2.4GHz, OS10.5.4, Logic Studio, Live6.0.10, Reason4, Presonus Firebox, EvoMK429c, BehringerUMX25, Korg PadKontrol, NovationRemoteSL0.

http://www.mechanisedconvulsions.com