Nice OSX trick

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
muscleandhate

Nice OSX trick

Post by muscleandhate » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:22 pm

What annoyed me about OSX was the way if you attempted to drag stuff to somewhere else, it would leave the original copy. Well next time you drag stuff around and don't want it copied, just moved, hold the command key down and OSX automatically removes the original. Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I just found this out.

stale bread

Post by stale bread » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:23 pm

nice, if you got some more post'em up
Mac, Mpc, and a Microphone

Thanks for the Slicer Abe.

kabuki

Re: Nice OSX trick

Post by kabuki » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:25 pm

muscleandhate wrote:What annoyed me about OSX was the way if you attempted to drag stuff to somewhere else, it would leave the original copy. Well next time you drag stuff around and don't want it copied, just moved, hold the command key down and OSX automatically removes the original. Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I just found this out.

Actually, unless you are talking about putting something on an external volume, OSX does this without an additional keypress. To make a copy on the same volume, Click, Option, drag to make a copy and leave the original.

Maybe you have a setting turned on somewhere, but in my 12 plus years on Macs, I have never seen one do what you are describing. Unless you are talking about transferring to a different volume.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Daim

Post by Daim » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:31 pm

where's the trick? that's part of the manual

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:50 pm

kabuki wrote:
muscleandhate wrote:What annoyed me about OSX was the way if you attempted to drag stuff to somewhere else, it would leave the original copy. Well next time you drag stuff around and don't want it copied, just moved, hold the command key down and OSX automatically removes the original. Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I just found this out.

Actually, unless you are talking about putting something on an external volume, OSX does this without an additional keypress. To make a copy on the same volume, Click, Option, drag to make a copy and leave the original.

Maybe you have a setting turned on somewhere, but in my 12 plus years on Macs, I have never seen one do what you are describing. Unless you are talking about transferring to a different volume.
Yeah sorry I should have mentioned that.

Ctrl + Option + Apple + 8

Inverts the screen, looks cool.

Also, if you have a few windows up, holding down the apple key enables you do drag them around without bringing them to the front.

Another one I completely missed, was in Expose, pressing the tab key will cycle through the different windows, bringing them to the front.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:08 pm

windows does this too, and has done since forever.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:00 pm

Machinate wrote:
So? lol

djmyke

Post by djmyke » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:43 am

Machinate wrote:
again n again?

1-0 ?

live 7. reason 4
maudio fwire 410 axiom 49. fcb1010
taylor 614ce
banshee talkbox

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:42 pm

stale bread wrote:nice, if you got some more post'em up
just go to the apple website there are hundreds of those kind of OSX tips - how to use it indepth.

very handy to get all power out of OSX.

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/alias.html

for example...
*** Image GAFM ***

noborders

Post by noborders » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:45 pm

muscleandhate wrote:What annoyed me about OSX was the way if you attempted to drag stuff to somewhere else, it would leave the original copy.
No it doesn't. Files are only copied if you drag stuff into another hard drive.

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:52 pm

Daim wrote:where's the trick? that's part of the manual

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459
But nobody here RTFM... :D

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:13 pm

djmyke wrote:
Machinate wrote:
again n again?

1-0 ?
0-100 old news for osx as well
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:49 pm

As a OSX n00b, this all seemed quite extraordinary!

illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:50 pm

windows sucks! Viva la mac! I hope vista dies a vapourous death and osx reigns supreme! (oh wait, no I don't. Then the quality of mac hardware will become as shitty as the windows hardware!)

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:56 pm

My favourite is the old apple/command -tab to cycle through apps.. but this has been there since OS 9.. still great though.

The other one is when you are moving files into folders and stuff, whilst you are dragging into a folder, press space to open the folder, rather than waiting for the folder to open..
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic