Do you like itunes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Do you like itunes

yay
60%
nay
40%

Total votes: 53

capta1nA

Post by capta1nA » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:23 pm

if you don't like MP3 but think WAV/AIFF is too big, there's the apple lossless option, which seems to be Apple's take on FLAC.

Nod

Re: Do you like itunes

Post by Nod » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:34 pm

lesterdiamond wrote:I can't stand it, I used it to convern a bunch of files and now I have 900 files that I have to delete individually, because it won't allow me to delete a group of files
iTunes - perhaps handles differently on a Mac but on a PC, any PC, is a shocking POS code and an example of how something relatively simple can be used to hijack the majority of CPU cycles for no apparent reason! Of course it also comes with that other marvel, Quicktime - POS, that writes itself to the startup.ini along with demanding its rubbish little player has root access to file types every 13 seconds :wink:

There are alternatives, such as only having iTunes whilst running the latest Quicktime Alternative codecs or third party such as eg: Anapod, but if I didn't have an iPOD iTunes would be the first thing I uninstalled. YMMV.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:38 pm

I have a Shuffle, so I have to use it, but it's the biggest POS ever coded.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:40 pm

I don't like the drm. I'm 100% buy cd's then rip for my iPod

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:45 pm

sqook wrote:
laurence wrote: - Say you want to listen to a particular song in your library after the present one is done.... oh, well, that's a shame, because you can't actually drag around the songs in your library! I guess you should make a damn playlist for everything.
Nowadays I play music from Party Shuffle. If I want to play a song next, just go to the library, ctrl + click (for I don't have or need a mighty mouse), then select "Play next on Party Shuffle". Done.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

lesterdiamond

Re: Do you like itunes

Post by lesterdiamond » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:58 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:
lesterdiamond wrote:I can't stand it, I used it to convern a bunch of files and now I have 900 files that I have to delete individually, because it won't allow me to delete a group of files
Uhh.... I have iTunes 7. The tried and true method of shift/click allows you to select and delete as much shit as you desire in one shot.
yeah, i guess that is the way things go on a mac. Very different if you're used to a pc, they should have their pc version be for a pc user and not a mac user.

laurence

Post by laurence » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:09 pm

the user interface for itunes is great, i just dont like the fact that it is set up to convert to a format that nothing else can use, as i said i dont own it- im just speaking from my fiances experience
I have no pets but enjoy drawing pictures of insects and sending them to people

lesterdiamond

Post by lesterdiamond » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:17 am

I am also having trouble moving a track that is out of order in a DJ Mix, another thing that is a pain. the help provided with itunes isn't that in depth either.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:06 am

I love it,

I stopped converting my music years ago.
Hard disk space is cheap, so i rip all cd at full spectrum. and i record my vinyl @ 24/96, then import that into itunes.

I don't like mp3, or aac LAME or no LAME
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:39 am

rbmonosylabik wrote:
hambone1 wrote:But seriously, folks... iTunes works great for me. I especially like Smart Playlists. I wonder if those who bitch and moan about it really know how to use it.
+1
double +1 i had serious trouble in the beginning myself and always blaimed iTunes, untill i discovered how to actually use it propperly, since then it's more then awsome and for me the best player around, really, once you wrap your head around it, it's incredible. especially all the free scripts you can get let's it really shine.
and switch off all the default preferences like soundenhancer, automatic 'organisation of folders' [or whatever it's called] and the like...

check this out:

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/
*** Image GAFM ***