K-Station, Guitar, Powerbook.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jonathono2000

K-Station, Guitar, Powerbook.

Post by jonathono2000 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:08 pm

I am a keyboardist and use Ableton for some sequencing and the FX. I have been playing with this drummer. I take my K-station and Powerbook over to his place and we jam. What I am wondering is if I were to pick up a guitar, something I haven't done in 10 years, how would I go about routing it, I want to plug it in to the K-station and use its FX/Envelopes/Filters and then have all of that audio routed into the powerbook. I currently use a Behringer FCA-202 (i think) for the K-Station. Can I plug a guitar directly into the K-Stations audio input? Any help would be appreciated.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:14 pm

I'm thinking you'll get much better sound if you preamplify that guitar with something to bring it up to line level, but otherwise you should be fine.
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

jonathono2000

Post by jonathono2000 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:27 pm

Do you have any suggestions.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:45 pm

I'm not a guitar player, but I would check a site like musiciansfriend.com to check reviews on either a guitar multi effect or preamp that fits your needs & budget...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

cmcg37

Post by cmcg37 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:02 pm

I use this exact set up.

I hava a 1/4" cable going into the K-Station. I switch out between Bass / Guitar. Dig through the K station Globals page and adjust your input trim and audio thru mode. I do experimental stuff so I am not picky about the tone going into the K-Station. I use the K-Station's preamp and it works just fine for my needs. From there, I go into my Powerbook's audio in. I set a channel up in live to monitor the output of the K-Station. I can play with my loops and also record new ones from the K-Station.

It works great for my applications.

Regards,

CMcG