BCR2000... how do you roll yours?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
wollej

Post by wollej » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:48 pm

The link in http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... mfiles.zip holds a zip file containing sys-ex messages to switch the 4 function buttons into NRPN buttons.
MBP 2ghz, Live 8, MOTU 828 MK2, , Novation BassStation & SuperNova II, Virus Rack, Fatar Studio 88, BCR-2000, KRK RP6

http://www.myspace.com/elektrowolle

napalmskatterjazz

Post by napalmskatterjazz » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:39 pm

lovin you. thanks a lot man
2.0Ghz Coreduo PC notebook, 4GB ram, Overclocked to hell sittin on aluminum extra fans w/ no drivebay or pcmcia...
2.8Ghz Quadcore on Asus MB, 4GBRam, Dual 512MB SLI Graphics both @16x.

tecknique

Syncronized Feedback on diferent presets

Post by tecknique » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:48 pm

Hello BCR brothers. I recently purchased a BCR and finally have a question that I can't find an answer to. First off, this thing ROCKS!

I am "rolling" mine similar to DeadlyKungFu, having the top encoders and buttons serve as global controls that remain the same across presets as follows:

encoder group 1
master vol, return A vol, return B vol, phones vol, master pan, none, tempo, scroll scene

encoder group 2
Master 8 band eq

encoder group 3,
Master fx rack
buttons - fx on/off

encoder group 4
Return A fx rack
buttons - fx on/off

The 16 buttons are for 16 tracks mute on/off

The above are global for all presets.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

For the 24 rotary knobs:
Preset 1 - Tracks 1-8 (drums) vol, send A, send B
Preset 2-8 - Currently not used.
Preset 9-16 - Various as needed for indidual tracks 9-16
Preset 17-32 - Currently not used.

So my issue is...
When I use, for example, encoder 1 ch1 (master volume) and then switch to any other preset the value in the BCR is not updated. So my global settings work for each preset, but do not keep in sync on the BCR.

Do I have this setup incorectly, or am i just out of luck?

Okke

Post by Okke » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:27 pm

Don't believe Behringer you CAN do preset change from Live:

8)

To change the currently selected preset:
Send sysex: F0 00 20 32 00 dd 22 pp F7
where pp=preset number starting at 0 (hex)
and dd=14 for BCF2000 or 15 for BCR2000.

8)

Create a Synthedit vst that generates a particular Midi-command per knob
Link these knobs to different keys in Live
Make Midi-Ox translate the Midi-commands into the SYSEX commands (see above)

Enjoy

tecknique

Post by tecknique » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:16 pm

Thats pretty useful info thanks. I still don't understand how I can accomplish what I would like to do though...

Simple example:

Working with 2 presets. On preset 1, encoder 1 is set to send cc1 on channel 1.

On preset 2, encoder 1 is also set to send cc1 on channel1.

I would like these two encoders on different presets to stay in sync. I want them to move at the same time.

So if I the value of both encoders is 0. If I move encoder 1 on preset 1 from value 0 to 100, then switch to preset 2, the value encoder 1 on preset 2 is at 0 still.

They both control the same cc on the same midi channel, so I want them to move simultaneously.

vip32

Post by vip32 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:52 pm

tecknique wrote:Thats pretty useful info thanks. I still don't understand how I can accomplish what I would like to do though...

Simple example:

Working with 2 presets. On preset 1, encoder 1 is set to send cc1 on channel 1.

On preset 2, encoder 1 is also set to send cc1 on channel1.

I would like these two encoders on different presets to stay in sync. I want them to move at the same time.

So if I the value of both encoders is 0. If I move encoder 1 on preset 1 from value 0 to 100, then switch to preset 2, the value encoder 1 on preset 2 is at 0 still.

They both control the same cc on the same midi channel, so I want them to move simultaneously.
interesting. i have seen this behavior too. if the same midi cc is used in more presets > than only the active preset responds to changes made in live, the other controls are not being updated.

this seems to be a limitation of the bcr, only the active preset receive the updated midi info from live. anyone has a workaround for this (force live to resend midi data, ...)

what about 2 encoders with the same cc on the SAME preset? are they in sync?

wollej

Post by wollej » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:18 pm

The only workaround I've found, is to press Command-M twice...
MBP 2ghz, Live 8, MOTU 828 MK2, , Novation BassStation & SuperNova II, Virus Rack, Fatar Studio 88, BCR-2000, KRK RP6

http://www.myspace.com/elektrowolle

Landser

Post by Landser » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:11 am

I use the BCR in Mackie Control emu-mode, for mixing only, because the automatically mapped plugin parameters are not useful at all for efficient plugin editing. The mouse is way faster.
I have adopted Namihei's MCE layout for Tracktion to reduce hand movements during mixing. I found it always very unergonomic, that volume was placed at the top row.
Here the bottom row of the encoders control track vol. of all tracks, the encoder row above pan.
The top row with the push-encoders (in conjunction with the encoder-group buttons), is used to control solo, mute and track-select of the respective track.

The lowest 4-button-field consist of Start and Stop and right above the two bank-select buttons, which are right beside the volume and pan knobs, to switch through the track-banks. Very ergonomic.

tecknique

Post by tecknique » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:42 am

vip32 wrote:
what about 2 encoders with the same cc on the SAME preset? are they in sync?
If they are on the same preset, they will both recieve data. The issue is only with different (non active) presets. It appears that only the active preset responds.

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:21 pm

Tip: with bcf:BCR

you can monitor your tracks volume with knob leds.
that"s way your much more in the live not looking at the screen

use a 3d party audio to midi (ie blue cat's peak meter vst) plugin, drop it to your audio track (ie kick).

Make sure the BCR is sending ad receiving midi. assign knob 1 to peak contol of the vst.

and now wow, you see that the leds indicates the kick volume!
repeat it for all the tracks you wanna monitor.
(change the knob isplay to "spread" to have a better vizu)

djstevelove

Re: BCR2000... how do you roll yours?

Post by djstevelove » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:45 am

You guys seem to be pretty clued up on these units so I thought i'd post this here....

MY BCF2000 arrived yesterday and I intend to use it for DJing.

What I want to do it have 4 audio channels that obviously relate to the 4 faders (all that is working OK).... but the 2 buttons that are in line with the faders (above) I want the upper one to be assigned to the global play for that channel and the lower one to stop all clips in that channel.

I tried this just out of the box but the buttons by default are set to push once for on and push again for off so it essentially took a double tap. I therefore changed the buttons to note mode and this seemed to work, however when I came to program the buttons for channel 2 they appeared to be recognised as the same button (as channel one) within the midi mapping. I therefore gave each one a different channel but still they were picked up as the same button?

I would guess I am doing something stupid, can anyone help? Thanks.

Silverfish

Re: BCR2000... how do you roll yours?

Post by Silverfish » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:50 am

Holy necrobump, Batman! This thread is awesome. Lots of good stuff in here if you're using a BC unit. Anyway, to help answer your question...

Try this-
1.Push "edit", then the button or knob you with to edit.
2.The "Type" encoder determines whether it's a MIDI note or CC (or other, but ignore those for now). I would suggest making it a CC.
3.It's okay to leave all buttons and knobs on one MIDI channel (unless you have a reason to change them), as they will all be assigned to different MIDI notes or CCs.
4.Use "Par" knob to select the parameter number for each button or knob. Currently, they're the same, but if you change one to a unique number, then it should map fine.
5.There are two ways to fix the double tap issue. You can either set both "Val 1" and "Val 2" to the same number (127) or change the "mode" from "T on" to "T off". The "Val" knobs let you select the two value states of the button, usually hi and low, or 127 and 0. T on and off are for the toggle.

I hope this was helpful. Let me know how this works for you!