Question About Linking Parameters to Modulaters (ie. LFO's)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
LithiuMind

Question About Linking Parameters to Modulaters (ie. LFO's)

Post by LithiuMind » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Is there a way within ableton to link a midi effect parameter, for example 'pitch', to an external controller? For example, an LFO or a Peak Controller like in FL Studio?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:18 pm

have the LFO send cc#x on channel #y send that out to MIDI YOKE then set the control you want slaved to the same cc and channel and activate that midi yoke port's REMOTE IN.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:12 pm

Tone Deft wrote:have the LFO send cc#x on channel #y send that out to MIDI YOKE then set the control you want slaved to the same cc and channel and activate that midi yoke port's REMOTE IN.
What LFO in Live can send midi?

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:17 pm

3rdordertrauma wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:have the LFO send cc#x on channel #y send that out to MIDI YOKE then set the control you want slaved to the same cc and channel and activate that midi yoke port's REMOTE IN.
there isnt one, you need a 3rd party device

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:17 pm

Lots of people are asking for this sort of thing. This guy "Poster" is mocking up some really cool stuff and has some great ideas for stuff like this so check it out.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

In the meantime I think you best bet to modulate parameters in live is the use of the Envelopes. The envelopes are hugely powerful! But not quite as "playable" as an LFO.

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:00 am

Spiralgroove wrote:
3rdordertrauma wrote:
And whats the name of some 3rd party devices that do this?

Besides he was asking for a way WITHIN Ableton to do this...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:30 am

3rdordertrauma wrote:
Spiralgroove wrote:
3rdordertrauma wrote: What LFO in Live can send midi?
And whats the name of some 3rd party devices that do this?

Besides he was asking for a way WITHIN Ableton to do this...
:roll: the forum police are out tonight!!

Well, how about drawing in an envelope in a blank clip and sending that data out midi yoke and back in?

Less hating, more helping.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:48 am

Tone Deft wrote: :roll: the forum police are out tonight!!

Well, how about drawing in an envelope in a blank clip and sending that data out midi yoke and back in?

Less hating, more helping.
Tone:
Exactly money... not trying to hate... just after some answers for LithiuMind. I thought if Spiralgroove knew of some 3rd party device that could send midi.. it would have been nice to tell us which one does and where to find it. I sure would love an LFO that could do this in Live... just haven't found it yet... but I'm something out there can.

Maybe could even make something in Reaktor that could do this?? I'm not that great in Reaktor but I would think its capable. Anyone?
Tone Deft wrote:Well, how about drawing in an envelope in a blank clip and sending that data out midi yoke and back in?
Would work for sure... but its not really necessary to send it out to midi yoke. As long as its only modulating another midi track you can just route it strait there.

But then again I don't know exactly what Lithium is trying to do.

solar28

Post by solar28 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:48 pm

what about devine machine's vminion? I have it and it can output lfo midi (I think up to 3 channels worth). You select shape/rate/etc then make another track, and set it's midi input to the track that vminion is on. You can then have vMinion controlling some sort of parameter that you've set to the same CC input that vMinion outputs.

I've tried it and it works . . .

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:30 am

solar28 wrote:what about devine machine's vminion? I have it and it can output lfo midi (I think up to 3 channels worth). You select shape/rate/etc then make another track, and set it's midi input to the track that vminion is on. You can then have vMinion controlling some sort of parameter that you've set to the same CC input that vMinion outputs.

I've tried it and it works . . .
Thats the shit I'm talkin about solar28! Thanks for that! I haven't tried it yet but will do as soon as I purchase vMinion... I had planned on picking it up anyway.

Cheers!

stutter

Post by stutter » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:26 pm

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:33 pm

stutter wrote:http://dunk.smartelectronix.com/

one there
Yeah I did see this before... looks great. Unfortunately another PC only. :(

BTW... I was able to get some very simple mdi lfo's working in Reaktor and my hardware gear can receive it just fine. Only problem in Live is Reaktor always shows up as a audio instrument / plug in. Which disables that tracks midi routing capabilities. Do any of you know a way around this? I've tried deleting the audio i/o in reaktor hoping I could use it just a midi plug... but no luck. Reaktor won't allow this.

stutter

Post by stutter » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:13 am

ah sorry, didn't realise that.

A very ugly hack solution that might work for you is to send midi out of Reaktor via your Mac's inbuilt midi pipe (can't remember the name of that), and then into Live.

Also I suspect that just a simple lfo could be programmed in Pure Data. But that's probably beyond what you want to do.

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:19 am

stutter wrote:ah sorry, didn't realise that.
No worries
stutter wrote:A very ugly hack solution that might work for you is to send midi out of Reaktor via your Mac's inbuilt midi pipe (can't remember the name of that), and then into Live.
I've tried this... Here is what I could get happening. I made a simple LFO ensemble in reaktor by added and LFO and controller out... assigned the controller out too cc#xx and tested it sending midi to a hardware synth. Everything worked just fine... Here is where I ran into trouble. I opened up Live dropped Reaktor in a midi track. As soon as I do this Live sees Reaktor as a audio plug in and the midi routing for the track disappears, disabling the option of routing it to the "IAC" bus. Do you know a way around this? Is it possible to use Reaktor as just a midi plugin so that the host will only see the midi i/o and not the audio i/o? I've tried deleting the audio i/o in reaktor only leaving the midi elements but reaktor doesn't allow this.
stutter wrote:Also I suspect that just a simple lfo could be programmed in Pure Data. But that's probably beyond what you want to do.
I'm into trying... how would I go about this?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:48 am

numerology is the best option I've found. it's mac only. no rewire necessary as numerology recieves midi sync directly and then you can output a cc lfo via numerologys virtual port.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.