The MPC 1000 Plus Ableton Live Tread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:45 pm

cool tip.

I screwed up saving by saving the same file over itself, totally hoses the .seq, it took me a little while to get it right. I'm also now in the habit of saving to the computer when I make a major change in a beat.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:58 pm

I do triple saves most of the time.
1.Autoload to the card to continue where left.
2. Regular on the card
3. Same on HD
It is really worth to get the HD frame. I put long unused notebook prehistoric 30G HD that for MPC is more then enough. You can probably find such HD on Ebay for 20-30$

minimal

Post by minimal » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:43 am

@ rikhyray:

thanks for your tips. I won't buy behringer (I was a bit desperate) I'll buy a little mackie 4 mono and 4 stereo channels.
I want to have a mixer on stage to play with levels, pan, EQ and some external effect boxes and I am sick and tired that every second session I have to set another delay in the midi tab, live just won't be stable enough. Midi is 23 years old, I really don't understand what's so hard for ableton to implement such a prehistorical technology in live.
I will be happy with an external mixer.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:57 pm

I decided for Mackie too
1. Only brand with proper balanced outs, I dont want any adapters to look for, loose etc
Undecided which one 12CFX or 1402. The smallest 1202 does not have faders so not so good for live, you dont see levels right away. Build in FX would be nice that is why CFX but I dont know if the quality is not compromised as compared to the 1402
Hope somebody here have more idea about them.

minimal

Post by minimal » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:38 pm

I'll go for the "no fader"one, dunno the model number now, it's the one w/ 4 mono and 4 stereo channels.
I own mackiesmixers since 12 years, had a CR1604 VLZ, now I have a 24.8 and I'm very happy with mackie quality.
It just sounds good to my ears.
I see your point about not having faders, which are way better when it comes to visual feedback but I don't want to spend too much money on a secondary mixer, faders would be better for me too but whatever.
I don't know about effects, I am always been skeptical about built-in effects but maybe from mackie we can wait some good effects.

bynoe

Post by bynoe » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:53 pm

Oh my god. I am having so much fun with my new mpc 1000 synced up to Live. Creating beats on the fly and all sorts. I cant believe it has taken me so long to get one of these babies.
My only gripe is the sync goes off every now and again. What is going on. It's def a Live problem cause the same don't happen in Cubase. Solutions from you Live gurus is needed. Lets get this one sorted.

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:08 am

rikhyray wrote:I decided for Mackie too
1. Only brand with proper balanced outs, I dont want any adapters to look for, loose etc
Undecided which one 12CFX or 1402. The smallest 1202 does not have faders so not so good for live, you dont see levels right away. Build in FX would be nice that is why CFX but I dont know if the quality is not compromised as compared to the 1402
Hope somebody here have more idea about them.

The Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro is dope. It has "that bass sound"
you are probly looking for. I had one and it was excellent.
So I bought the 1602 and had that for about 5 years... i still miss it a bit, butI would go the 1402 when i settle down again.
My friends CFX sounded good but I couldnt help feel that it wasnt as nice as the older versions.

Right now i got a Mackie Big Knob and Yamaha 01V96.

Big Knob is well groovy.

I think the Yamaha analogue mixers are cool too but Mackie are my favourites.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:28 am

BinaryB wrote:The Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro is dope. It has "that bass sound"
that's funny, I can atest to the fact that it has a flat frequency response, I have one sitting next to me right now at work, I use it to design and test audio gear and have run many Audio Precision tests with it. Fuck, at least I hope it's flat, or there's gonna be some recalls... 8O

Good mixer, not a DJ mixer, just a house mixer, good selection of ins and outs at a good price.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ajstrax

Post by ajstrax » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:30 am

Sorry to hi-jack the post. I grabbed an mpc 1K compatible hard drive and I'm having trouble. I"ve installed it fine and it does recognize it, but my MP freezed each time with the word "wait" when I try to load etc. Do I need to do something before using it? My PC doesn't recognize it at all. Suggestions? Thanks...
Live 6, MV8800, Moog Phatty, Guru, KRK Rokit 5's

MacBookDJ

Post by MacBookDJ » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:35 am

bynoe wrote:Oh my god. I am having so much fun with my new mpc 1000 synced up to Live. Creating beats on the fly and all sorts. I cant believe it has taken me so long to get one of these babies.
Sounds sweet. I'm still 'faking it" with my TriggerFinger.
MacBookDJ.com, obviously.
:o

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:14 am

Tone Deft wrote:
BinaryB wrote:The Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro is dope. It has "that bass sound"
that's funny, I can atest to the fact that it has a flat frequency response, I have one sitting next to me right now at work, I use it to design and test audio gear and have run many Audio Precision tests with it. Fuck, at least I hope it's flat, or there's gonna be some recalls... 8O

Good mixer, not a DJ mixer, just a house mixer, good selection of ins and outs at a good price.

I loved em for HipHop, Breaks, DnB + all the BadAss Bass you can handle.

I am not clear about what TD means,
but he aint no chump, so you should take this into account also.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:20 am

ajstrax wrote:Sorry to hi-jack the post. I grabbed an mpc 1K compatible hard drive and I'm having trouble. I"ve installed it fine and it does recognize it, but my MP freezed each time with the word "wait" when I try to load etc. Do I need to do something before using it? My PC doesn't recognize it at all. Suggestions? Thanks...
Mine worked right away, and if PC aint happy its not good.

I had about 40-50gb of samples dowloading onto it overnight and it would have taken about 24hrs! so i took the HD out and put it into a usb2.0 case to dump them real quick then back into the MPC. sweet.

Then i sold my MPC1k(blue with stiff pads) and put the drive into the case again and it works fine. So i can reinstall it in a new black MPC or at least use one when i come accross one before i get a new one.

Try reformatting in the MPC.
or on the PC then the MPC ?

or

Can you take the HD back to the store ?

That sux.
Hope this helps.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

ajstrax

Post by ajstrax » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:03 am

Yeah, sucks for me. What's odd is that my MP recognizes the "hard disk," but does nothing when I hit "do it" to format. Very weird *ish. I hope its a faulty HD and not a messed up MP! :evil: :evil:

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:15 am

ajstrax wrote:Yeah, sucks for me. What's odd is that my MP recognizes the "hard disk," but does nothing when I hit "do it" to format. Very weird *ish. I hope its a faulty HD and not a messed up MP! :evil: :evil:
If it is an 'approved' HD it should work in the MPC.

You can try to format it with the PC n then the MPC after.

I would try for a return on the HD or take the MPC into a shop and test a new HD
if they want to swap it for you.

What OS are you using ?

The NEW JJ OS is great and i find that it was way more stable than the original OS.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

ajstrax

Post by ajstrax » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:23 am

hey binary,

I'm running OS 2.10 now. Do you think it would load up wiht the JJ os? I rather pay the 30 instead of dealing with this HD sh*t.