Sync between 2 PCs running Ableton Live 6

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
FrankyK

Sync between 2 PCs running Ableton Live 6

Post by FrankyK » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:14 pm

Hi!

As I am quite new to MIDI, I was wondering if anybody could help me regarding the following issue:

We have a setup with 2 PCs running both Ableton Live 6.0.1 Lite MAudio Enhanced edition. Now we want to snyc both machines in order to be able to make music together. Pressing Start both on the same time is not realy an option ;-)

The following gear is used:

Master PC: Pc connected via USB to a M-Audio MIDISPORT 4x4, Abletons Sync is set to ON for Port C on the Midi Controller, so Live should send it's midi clock/transport signal over that port. Port C is then conneted to my friends M-AUDIO Axiom 49 Midi Keyboard's MIDI IN. This keyboard finally connects via USB to his PC (which should be synced to mine).

Right now, we are not able to sync anything. Is there a special setup that needs to be made in Live on the slave PC or ev. in the Axiom so that it routes the clock signal from MIDI IN to USB? The rest of the MIDI in/out setup is working perfectly (Recording of MIDI on both PCs with any keyboard, playing external synths over midi) But the sync issue is realy blowing my mind...

Thanks for your help!

l-rs

Post by l-rs » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:59 pm

Just to be sure... on the slave pc you have clicked EXT (it lights up) in Ableton top menu bar? Even though you set it to sync in the prefs doesn't automatically make it sync, see.

I use an external 707 to trigger my 303 and Ableton and I must expicitly set it to 'EXT' before it'll listen to the start/stop from the 707.

Ableton doesn't remember this setting so you'll have to set it manually every time.

FrankyK

Post by FrankyK » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:43 pm

Ehem....

I guess the problem is somewhere else...

- There is no EXT Led or switch or something in the transport area :roll:

Is this something that only comes with the full version of live?

Or is it an installation or midi driver problem?

For example I can also not configure my PCR-M1 to be remote control. The column "Remote" in the MIDI Preferences does not show any ON/OFF switches. On my friends PC, the Sync Column is completely missing... very nasty :-(

tamtam

Post by tamtam » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:51 pm

FrankyK wrote:Is this something that only comes with the full version of live?

Or is it an installation or midi driver problem?

For example I can also not configure my PCR-M1 to be remote control. The column "Remote" in the MIDI Preferences does not show any ON/OFF switches. On my friends PC, the Sync Column is completely missing... very nasty :-(
I think midi sync is one of the features not in live lite. I've read this somewhere but I can't find it now.

And that remote thing ... yes, the remote butoon is missing, so you can't set it up there. You can, however, edit a text file in user/library/preferences/Ableton/user remote scripts. I got my xsession to work in live lite 6.

But this is really annoying. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with editing commented text files to set up my midi control. But live would be so much easier (no pun intented), if there was a comparison list somewhere what live lite can do and can't do. The way I understand it, lite should be a teaser for people to buy the real thing. But the way it is now, I always encounter problems, and I'm not sure if its a lite limitation or simply a bug, (this issue or missing QT import in lite 6.0.1 - but the later is a bug right?), doesn't exactly advertise a sequencer with focus on usability & workflow.

tonyrohr

Post by tonyrohr » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:34 am

if you both have working network ports on your computers i HIGHLY recommend this:

http://midi-over-ip.qarchive.org/

midi over IP is a great app for synching two computers together.
all you need is a cross-over cable for the 2 PCs

easy to configure too as it shows up as a MIDI in/out in your options!!!

(note: just be sure to set your MIDI sync type to "MIDI Clock" not "MIDI Timecode" which I think is the default)

FrankyK

Post by FrankyK » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:10 am

To bring this discussion to an end, I shall share the answer of ableton support with you:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

No, Live lite 6 M-audio edition does not feature MIDI synchronization.

Kind regards,

French and English support

ableton ag
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I will try to switch to the full version or another program...

Thanks for your help anyway!