Is it possible to assign a controller to turn a VST on/off?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
markone

Post by markone » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:41 pm

hoffman2k wrote:OK.

To throw something into the equation. I'm using Glitch in a Dummy Clip. Is there the ability to turn the actual VST on in the dummy clip or just adjust the parameters?
Thanks very much hoffman I will look into it
WebSite! wrote:
use Glitch on my master track in my dj template. one button is assigned to on/off. don't see any problems here. works in sync as well...
why do we need ten posts to make this clear?
You seem to be missing my point WebSite! I know you can assign a key to just turn it on and off. What I was trying to find out was if there was a parameter for on/off which I could adjust within the dummy clip itself . Therefore I could assign a key to turn the dummy clip on, and then when hit, Glitch would also be turned on, start scrolling through its pattern from the beginning everytime it was operated and then turn itself off after the length of the clip (3 bars for example).

This is not as simple a question as it seems. I'm not trying to be pedantic, just get a clear answer.

:)

geo

Post by geo » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:35 pm

Yeah, do it with a macro...

markone

Post by markone » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:12 am

Well after experimenting, it looks like you can't achieve what I wanted to do, purely because of the way that the plug in works.

I assigned the power on/off of Glitch to macro 1 in an effects rack. I then created a dummy clip that changed the value of macro 1 from 0 to 127. This essentially turns the VST on in time with the music. However, while ableton is in play mode Glitch's pattern remembers what point its at, and does not restart from the beginning each time as I was hoping for when the dummy clip is launched

I have now set it up so that I have an effects chain with a wet and dry settings and Glitch in the wet part. Macro 1 flicks between dry and wet, and a dummy clip operates macro 1.

This means I can cut in on the wet signal at points which I couldn't if just using Glitch as an effects insert on an audio track.

So it doesn't work as I wanted at present but is adequate

(This is so difficult to explain, and would be much easier to show)