Guitarists? Guitars?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:25 pm

I got myself the LP Studio, because it has the best cost/benefit ratio of all the Gibson LPs and I also like the look without a lot of ornaments and stuff.
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

detroitechno

Re: Hey Detroit....

Post by detroitechno » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:43 pm

cannone wrote:Detroit,
What do you think about the play-ability of the LP studio? Does the lack of fretboard binding make any difference? The cost factor is pretty big ($1200+ cheaper) so that woudl be a big difference......
I haven't noticed much difference. It looks *dull* compared to the regular LP's, and really that's the only major difference. Every guitar will play slightly different obviously, but if your looking for the sound of an LP the studio is your best price/performance ratio. You could get an EPI, but I'd spend the small margin extra and get a studio gibson LP.

I haven't read the other 3 pages of this topic, but I'd like to make a point about EPI's and the actual Gibson's... To those who think they sound the same, they don't. I had a EPI LP before my gibson, and the build and sound of both were much different. Almost night and day. Go gibson if your going the LP route.
A bunch of gear, cords, and a computer...

went to the gypsy

Post by went to the gypsy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:30 pm

Mexican Tele w/ Upgraded Hardware. Amen.

-wttg-

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:36 pm

there seem to be very few midi guitar representatives here. any idea why that is? not used much? don't work too well? i can play keys, too, so never much saw the point of a midi guitar (except for pat methenyesque silliness), and get enough wacked out tones by running guitar through all sorts of live and reaktor fx. but i've seen reviews of some midi guitars lately that suggest they've worked out many of the kinks. anyone going that route?

kettensaege

Post by kettensaege » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:08 pm

LTD sc-607b and Line 6 POD xt. I somehow got stuck with ESP guitars as they feel most natural to me. Absolutely love my Kirk Hammet signature Flying V from ESP that I bought more than ten years ago, but the tremolo gets in the way when I tune it differently, so I went for a 7-string.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:14 pm

'79 Les Paul custom, PRS Santana, Alvarez acoustic-electric...
Recording with Live is such a snap, you know. Nowadays I only use guitar for embellishment... an electric solo here an acoustic backing rhythm there.
Hey, here's something I put together last night in bed with the PRS... while resting my bones after a hard days work. Aciddy-trippy vibe.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:31 pm

dj superflat wrote:there seem to be very few midi guitar representatives here. any idea why that is? not used much? don't work too well? i can play keys, too, so never much saw the point of a midi guitar (except for pat methenyesque silliness), and get enough wacked out tones by running guitar through all sorts of live and reaktor fx. but i've seen reviews of some midi guitars lately that suggest they've worked out many of the kinks. anyone going that route?
One of my Jacksons has an ancient Roland GK-1 on it; I use it with an equally old GM-70 pitch/MIDI converter. I go through streaks with it; sometimes I use it a lot and the rest of the time it just sits there...

ew

pieter

Re: Hey Detroit....

Post by pieter » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:44 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote:
cannone wrote:I've always WANTED a les paul....ever since Slash of Guns N Roses. Yeah.....I'm that guy.
haha yeah i hear you on that!
yeah slash increased les paul sales!
i have a les paul sunburst. just like in november rain. how sad...

anyway - when my guns n' roses days were over, i started listening to radiohead, dEUS, lo-fi rock etcetera... i play a cheap fat tele (squire) now. more ideal for strumming and it's lighter than the gibson. i love that guitar.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:27 pm

i'm telling you all, if you like fender guitars, try depinto. play and sound great, and i like the retro-futuro look (some may find it goofy).

dancerchris

Post by dancerchris » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:08 am

I use live as a DAW for guitar and keyboards.

I have a Fender Strat and Gibson ES-333 (same pickups as the LP). I also play a Schecter Classic with Seymour Duncan PUs. The Strat is the lightest most confortable guitar to play. The Schecter has the best feel and overall versatility but the Gibson has tone to spare!!!. It plays lousy and is finicky (those greenish tulip (Kluson style) tuners suck!) But the tone that comes out of that guitar is just phenomenal for rock and blues. Clean sounds, Fender is king. Whammys are cool but the suck the life out of sustain and kill tuning. An LP will sing forever.

Have fun.

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:02 am

I used to play a Les paul since 1994 but I sold it and now I'm planning to buy a telecaster. I still own an Ibanez and an Ovation, Guitar Rig 2 that I use with Live 6. Maybe someday I'll go back to my old life as a guitarist for a rock band in my country. :D

huffcw

Post by huffcw » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:48 pm

You owe it to yourself to give Godin guitars a try. The playability, sound and fit and finish are so much nicer than any Gibson I have ever tried. And the sound versatility is much better also (they are a good middle ground between a strat and a LP).

I use both a LGX-SA and a Multiac Duet. Great guitars!

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:03 pm

dj superflat wrote:there seem to be very few midi guitar representatives here. any idea why that is? not used much? don't work too well? i can play keys, too, so never much saw the point of a midi guitar (except for pat methenyesque silliness), and get enough wacked out tones by running guitar through all sorts of live and reaktor fx. but i've seen reviews of some midi guitars lately that suggest they've worked out many of the kinks. anyone going that route?

Because you asked, I will post this picture of the guitar-like MIDI controller that I have built: but remember, you asked: :)

UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:05 pm

my theory: if 4 strings was good enough for paul, john paul, bootsy, stanley, jaco, ron, flea, les, etc., it's good enough for me.
None of whom had Ableton Live either, FWIW...

I agree the Godin's are an exceptional value. The LGX-T can do just about anything, for a very reasonable amount of money.

These days I'm running Parker MIDIFly's into Ableton Live, with NI Guitar Rig 2 on one channel, and a rack of synths on another, and vocal effects on yet another. It's been an ideal live set up and I'm just now starting to appreciate how powerful it is for writing/recording.

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:42 pm

i can play keys, too, so never much saw the point of a midi guitar
For me, the biggest point is that I don't want to lug a keyboard to a gig in addition to a guitar - the latter being my main instrument.

I'm toeing that fine line between efficiency and laziness. :)