macbook pro? compatible with live 5 ? or not...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
itsu uno

macbook pro? compatible with live 5 ? or not...

Post by itsu uno » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:19 pm

Hi, i just got a macbook pro... if i put even one effect into the ableton arrangement, or just have more than 3 tracks running, it glitches and crawls along chopping and spitting... i'm at my wit's end... i've even set the buffer to full but its not working..

someone told me that live 5 isn't compatible with the new macbook pro's, that i need to get 5.2 or 6

can anyone pleeease point me to some information about this, or confirm and deny it... i'm usig a focusrite saffire LE soundcard..

any help much appreciated..

thanks.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:25 pm

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:25 pm

Live 5.2 is universal binary.

Things have to be universal binary to work on the Mac Intels... i'm sure you'll find this out with all your favourite plug-ins :o

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:26 pm

There's a UB 5.2 update that can be obtained through this very website here. That one will rock your socks off.

Pasha

Re: macbook pro? compatible with live 5 ? or not...

Post by Pasha » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:28 pm

itsu uno wrote:Hi, i just got a macbook pro... if i put even one effect into the ableton arrangement, or just have more than 3 tracks running, it glitches and crawls along chopping and spitting... i'm at my wit's end... i've even set the buffer to full but its not working..

someone told me that live 5 isn't compatible with the new macbook pro's, that i need to get 5.2 or 6

can anyone pleeease point me to some information about this, or confirm and deny it... i'm usig a focusrite saffire LE soundcard..

any help much appreciated..

thanks.
Hi.

Live 5.2.2 UB (Universal Binary) is the one that should be used because it fixes some problems with external controllers and Mac OS X.
If you are not using a UB version of Live, Mac OS X ends up using Rosetta to emulate PPC on Intel and then all is slow and sluggish on new Mac-Intel
machines. Check if your Live Application is UB. If you go to the Ableton Site you can upgrade for free or with a small fee to the UB version. To be sure about that, if you are a registered user going into shop upgrades area should clarify this.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

bgc

Post by bgc » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:28 pm

make sure you get the macintel update from the website. i think it is 5.2.2 or similar. you may have to pay, you may not...i'm not on mac. but that update will install the universal binary version of live 5 for your mac, which works natively with the intel processor.

or...

maybe you have an issue with the saffire? have you tried skipping the saffire and using the internal sound card? sounds like you don't have the update to me, so start by verifying that.

-bgc

itsu uno

Post by itsu uno » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:41 pm

thanks alot... if i just upgrade to 6 will it still work?

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:43 pm

Live 6 is UB and its also Dual Core aware so peformance is vastly improved all round.. darn fantastic it is to..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

itsu uno

Post by itsu uno » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:23 pm

thanks everyone for your help... just installed 6 and everything seems to be working fine... only i'm now missing the simpler from the instruments menu... any idea how i can put it back in there?? sorry to be such a useless technophobe...