how good is the operator

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:59 pm

http://www.zebrasynth.com/
this puts every software synth to shame.only 169.00 for a little while longer.i havent used operator since ive purchased this.

glitchrock-buddha

Re: how good is the operator

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:20 pm

jerryroy wrote:can somebody tell if the operator is good for syths because i cant seem to make anything at all with it it seems useless
wonderful synth, beautiful simplicity, great layout. Fun to play with. Terrible filter though imo. little pricy, but glad I bought it.

You can always use another filter instead, but lose the embedded envelope/lfo control within it. autofilters can work ok though.

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

jerryroy

Post by jerryroy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:01 am

well im used to 3xosc an creating sum nice saw leads an sum pulsating sqaure basslines i jus cant seem to get that out of operator i want to b able to detune to osc together to get a fat sound cant seem to da that in operator its different but im used to sytrus an 3xosc an superwaves

frankie123

Re: how good is the operator

Post by frankie123 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:07 am

jerryroy wrote:can somebody tell if the operator is good for syths because i cant seem to make anything at all with it it seems useless
Personally I don't think the operator is that great. There's a couple of good sounds that are good for trance music. Nothing really that justifies the cost of it imo. If ableton started coming out with synth racks reason style, that would be sweet.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:14 am

jerryroy wrote:well im used to 3xosc an creating sum nice saw leads an sum pulsating sqaure basslines i jus cant seem to get that out of operator i want to b able to detune to osc together to get a fat sound cant seem to da that in operator its different but im used to sytrus an 3xosc an superwaves
you're right. Operator cannot quite do many sounds that many other synths can do.

However, the flip side is that there are many sounds operator can do which other synths cannot.

Don't bother trying to emulate other synth sounds with operator. Sometimes you can, but sometimes you can't. Just use the other synths when you want it to sound like the other synths. :)

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

jerryroy

Post by jerryroy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:47 am

well the flip side is dat it can do me justis with these wierd sounds

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:30 am

Machinate wrote:Who knew Live6+Operator would be a Reaktor Killer? :)
Could you explain? I've never used Reaktor but I've heard great things about it, what's the deal-io? The covert op's Operator work is SICK, I can't wait to hear what you crazy mofos do with racks.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:21 am

jerryroy wrote:well im used to 3xosc an creating sum nice saw leads an sum pulsating sqaure basslines i jus cant seem to get that out of operator i want to b able to detune to osc together to get a fat sound cant seem to da that in operator its different but im used to sytrus an 3xosc an superwaves
Like this?
http://covops.dreamhosters.com/dropbox/ ... erLord.adg
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

mw

Post by mw » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:27 am

its the only synth i use