My short romance with a macbook pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
veggieryan

My short romance with a macbook pro

Post by veggieryan » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:06 pm

I had a macbook pro for a while.. at first I was in love... i think it was those commercials... hey, I want to be an artists too!
In hindsight it was the core duo that I was feeling.
much to my suprise it had too many issues to be usuable! How is it that apple releases a core duo pc laptop and it has 10x more problems than any of the standard pc core duo laptops? Seriously. I had the whine, the mooing, the random grey screens "your computer needs to shut down now", the battery swole up and would only work for 5 minutes until it would die.. without warning, it wouldn't EVER go into deep sleep on low battery, it wouldn't wake up from suspend sometimes (cardinal sin)... and that was after getting the latest revision logic board from apple!
wow.. plus, there was like NO AUDIO SOFTWARE.. like 10-100 plugins for intel-osx versus 1000's for windows.
just consider the obvious downfalls before you jump on the macbook bandwagon... I was lucky enough to walk away and sell it off..
I bought a core duo toshiba m7 tablet laptop and its so much more reliable.. and useful... plus, you can use it as an artists tablet to paint on the screen with artrage.. wow.. i guess pc users can be better artists than macs?
when i took my broken macbook pro to the apple store and whipped out my tablet to check email and do some skyping.. all the "geniuses" and a few mac fans were like.. woah? what is THAT? I was like.. this is a pc.. a tablet pc my friends... its all good... it was alot of fun... :wink:

Cache

Post by Cache » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:53 pm

whats the performance like on the dual core? also can you use the light pen or whatever is used to draw on the screen, to drag the clips from Live browser? avoiding the mouse
www.cachemusic.com
myspace.com/1800cachecall
myspace.com/autonomousunit
myspace.com/kinesicla
myspace.com/pocketonfridays

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:04 pm

sounds like you didn't do your research before making such a large purchase.

djadonis206

Re: My short romance with a macbook pro

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:07 pm

veggieryan wrote:I had a macbook pro for a while.. at first I was in love... i think it was those commercials... hey, I want to be an artists too!
much to my suprise it had too many issues to be usuable! How is it that apple releases a core duo pc laptop and it has 10x more problems than any of the standard pc core duo laptops? Seriously. I had the whine, the mooing, the random grey screens "your computer needs to shut down now", the battery swole up and would only work for 5 minutes until it would die.. without warning, it wouldn't EVER go into deep sleep on low battery, it wouldn't wake up from suspend sometimes (cardinal sin)... and that was after getting the latest revision logic board from apple!
wow.. plus, there was like NO AUDIO SOFTWARE.. like 10-100 plugins for intel-osx versus 1000's for windows.
just consider the obvious downfalls before you jump on the macbook bandwagon... I was lucky enough to walk away and sell it off..
I bought a core duo toshiba m7 tablet laptop and its so much more reliable.. and useful... plus, you can use it as an artists tablet to paint on the screen with artrage.. wow.. i guess pc users can be better artists than macs?
when i took my broken macbook pro to the apple store and whipped out my tablet to check email and do some skyping.. all the "geniuses" and a few mac fans were like.. woah? what is THAT? I was like.. this is a pc.. a tablet pc my friends... its all good... it was alot of fun... :wink:

All of the above is the reason why haven't bought mine YET - but thanks
Ableton | Elektron

Music

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:08 pm

In response to Cache... I've never owned a tablet PC, but having owning a Wacom tablet, I would imagine it's possible, since it acts just like a mouse.

In my experience, PCs and Macs each have their positives and negatives, even though some would have you believe that a Mac is perfect (and others preach the way of the PC)- the whole debate is BS anyway.

Just find what's right for your needs and do your research.

I'm in the market for a laptop before the year is out. I'm leaning towards a Macbook for live music situations, although my mind is not 100% and I will certainly be waiting for revisions.

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:23 pm

i will play at a laptop battle at the end of september.
the winner will get a portable mac (what are they called...?!).
i hope i will win - i would sell it and buy a pc laptop.
that would be fun ! :wink:
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:24 pm

veggieryan wrote:I had a macbook pro for a while.. at first I was in love... i think it was those commercials... hey, I want to be an artists too!
You checked email with a PC? Damn, you're living on the edge!

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:27 pm

veggieryan wrote: the battery swole up and would only work for 5 minutes until it would die.. without warning, it wouldn't EVER go into deep sleep on low battery, it wouldn't wake up from suspend sometimes (cardinal sin)... and that was after getting the latest revision logic board from apple!
well the logic board wouldn't fix that because those are both problems related to a defective battery.

a call to Apple would get you a free replacement battery delivered DHL to your door in 3-4 days.

i had the same problem in my macbook pro, it sucked for a few days though i still got plenty of work done... just had to use the PSU for 3 days. but it has been smooth sailing since i got the replacement battery.

Bong Sau

Post by Bong Sau » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:29 pm

You checked email with a PC? Damn, you're living on the edge!
:D :D :D

puRe

Post by puRe » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:32 pm

veggieryan wrote: when i took my broken macbook pro to the apple store and whipped out my tablet to check email and do some skyping.. all the "geniuses" and a few mac fans were like.. woah? what is THAT? I was like.. this is a pc.. a tablet pc my friends... its all good... it was alot of fun... :wink:
yeah.....you pwned them... :roll:

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:37 pm

puRe wrote:
veggieryan wrote:

yeah.....you pwned them... :roll:
what does pwned mean? Curious
Ableton | Elektron

Music

kovacs

Post by kovacs » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:43 pm

Happy MacBookPro-er here! :P No big issues so far. I have the dual 2Ghz version with 2GB of RAM and 100GB of 5400 HDD. I could have gotten the faster disk but there was a two-month wait!

My only gripe is Firefox...it keeps freezing my Mac or several seconds every few minutes.

As far as plugins are concerned, more and more are being released as Universal Binaries.

It is a bit sad that Native Instruments are going to charge for the MacIntel versions of their software, though...I have Komplete 2 but can't afford the Care 2006 package. :(

(No, I didn't pay for my mac - it comes with my job as a web editor).
2011 MacBook Pro 13" 10.9 // Live 9 Suite // Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette

deva

Post by deva » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:46 pm

this is a made up post

djsentinel

Post by djsentinel » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:47 pm

Owned, one-uped, mentally destroyed, served.

It's net speak for people who can't give out good insults, or type for that matter.

ekko

Post by ekko » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:49 pm

veggieryan wrote: plus, there was like NO AUDIO SOFTWARE.. like 10-100 plugins for intel-osx versus 1000's for windows.
980 synth-edit pieces of crap really makes ME want to switch to PC. :roll:
veggieryan wrote:
all the "geniuses" and a few mac fans were like.. woah? what is THAT? I was like.. this is a pc.. a tablet pc my friends... its all good... it was alot of fun... :wink: :roll:
I bet when you went home to momma she was real proud of ya.