Logic Pro vs Ableton 6

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:12 pm

I'm really considering Logic Pro 6 - specially since I'm spending a whole paycheck on the damn LapTop might as well go deeper into the whole and get Pro 6

but last night I started hitting a wall in Live - we're running about 30 tracks audio and midi (Simplers only)

with about 4 reverbs (on high quality)

a couple Hydratones, a few dub delays and some chorus's, ping pongs etc etc

and my computer kept choking when I'd try to start playback from say Bar 65 or beyond up through the break - ouch!

really got me considering something like Logic but the deal is Live is so BOMB - I just wish it was designed like Logic is - one system, super stable - high track count blah blah

but LIVE IS SO BOMB

FYI you can check Mr. High track count out at www.soundclick.com/djadonis206 tracks called Magnitude and we also posted another thing WIRED - done in Ableton Live 5.2
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:15 pm

If you can get Logic Pro for $350, it's a no-brainer for me, get Logic. Then get yourself a soundcard that comes with a lite version of Live and use that for loops and such.

marky

Post by marky » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:17 pm

But keep in mind that rewiring Logic and Live together is still a pretty crappy solution. They don't play that well together... and obviously no VSTs/AUs can be used in Live when it's rewired too..
Awright Bawjaws, that smells lovely son, gies a wee taste!
--------------------------------
www.myspace.com/interposition

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:23 pm

Tarekith wrote:If you can get Logic Pro for $350, it's a no-brainer for me, get Logic. .
Logic Pro for $350 - where?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:29 pm

Does Logic's license allow you to install it on two computers?
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:48 pm

afaik there is no limit

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:52 pm

TheAnimal wrote:Does Logic's license allow you to install it on two computers?
It's dongle-protected so you can install it anywhere but only run it on one machine at a time.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:05 pm

You know the more I think about it

My partner would probably love working in Logic - he's really good at playing the keyboard (er midi controller) and has a more linear (horizontal way of thinking) while Live is the bomb when it comes to vertical thinking (me)

but as someone said before - rewired, the 2 are garbage - I had Logic Audio or whatever it was called and rewire was the worse

Hmmmm - I'm so tempted to spend $999 I don't have, plus the Macintosh Laptop to run the program
Ableton | Elektron

Music

inis

Post by inis » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:16 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Get Live 6 and Logic Express. Cant go wrong with that.
yupp, you really cant go wrong with that, simply the best of both worlds and you dont have to break the bank either.
See I think you can go wrong with this. I think one of the best things about logic is everything that comes with it. You miss out on so many of the plug-ins when you get express. There is something to be said for the added midi fuctionality, etc that people seem to like in logic, but frankly i find live jsut fine for those kinds of things.

Before spending the money on the new sampler, id be 100% sure you know what you are buying. It looks like its going to be another brilliant ableton tool. Im really looking forward to having it, but if I was just looking for some kind of sampler for virtual instruments, id probably look at kontakt long before abletons sampler.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:06 pm

Well speak of the devil - ask and ye shall receive

Logic Pro 6 on Craigslist in Seattle $500obo

Not a bad deal

that's weird how life works like that - to bad I aint got no Mac yo...
Ableton | Elektron

Music

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:14 pm

inis wrote: See I think you can go wrong with this. I think one of the best things about logic is everything that comes with it. You miss out on so many of the plug-ins when you get express. There is something to be said for the added midi fuctionality, etc that people seem to like in logic, but frankly i find live jsut fine for those kinds of things.
Express is also missing a bunch of cool midi editing functions, key commands and other things. I'd say don't waste your time with it and look around for a used copy of Pro. You can pretty regularly find them for $500-$600.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:19 pm

djadonis206 wrote:Well speak of the devil - ask and ye shall receive

Logic Pro 6 on Craigslist in Seattle $500obo

Not a bad deal

that's weird how life works like that - to bad I aint got no Mac yo...

*ahem*cough*escuse me*

sorry I had something in my throat
Ableton | Elektron

Music

deva

Post by deva » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:33 pm

jamester wrote:I don't know if Apple has special restrictions on their academically-priced software, but I do know that "academic software not being upgradeable" is a common misconception.

Academic software is exactly the same as what you would buy in a store, just specially priced for students/teachers. In every case I've been involved in, I could ALWAYS upgrade my software for the standard upgrade price. IOW you don't get a discount on the upgrade price, just the initial buying price.

Once you've purchased the software the license is yours, and all the perks that go along with it, regardless of what your initial price was. Like I said, this is how it's worked for me for the past three years.

God bless academic pricing! :D
Is there a limitation for commercial use? Some educational software is limited in this way. You can use it for school, but not to make money.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:03 pm

deva wrote:
jamester wrote:I don't know if Apple has special restrictions on their academically-priced software, but I do know that "academic software not being upgradeable" is a common misconception.

Academic software is exactly the same as what you would buy in a store, just specially priced for students/teachers. In every case I've been involved in, I could ALWAYS upgrade my software for the standard upgrade price. IOW you don't get a discount on the upgrade price, just the initial buying price.

Once you've purchased the software the license is yours, and all the perks that go along with it, regardless of what your initial price was. Like I said, this is how it's worked for me for the past three years.

God bless academic pricing! :D
Is there a limitation for commercial use? Some educational software is limited in this way. You can use it for school, but not to make money.
You can't burn cd's of other peoples music for your friends either - not to be a smart ass but I guess I just was but you get the idea...right?
Ableton | Elektron

Music

ColdPack

Post by ColdPack » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:06 pm

I use Live mostly for everything... but I also rewire it into Cubase SX 3.
I just don't get Logic. I tried several times. Somehow, I just get SX3.
Yeah, it's not ready for the new Intel-based macs... but I don't care since I have a Powerbook and am sticking with it for a while. No need for the latest and greatest at the moment.
CP

Oh, by the way, both SX3 academic and Live 5 academic are upgradeable.
Not so with Logic.