midi convertors that dont rely on midi yoke?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mw

midi convertors that dont rely on midi yoke?

Post by mw » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:10 am

hi

im using a digitech control 8 to trigger live loops in live 5... i can assign midi cc's to trigger the loops but of course i need to press the switch twice on the c8 which after a few loops can get a bit of a inconvenience

anyway, are there any programs i can use that will convert midi ccs to either midi note or keystrokes that doesnt use midi joke*...erm i mean yoke

*last time i installed midiyoke i got the infamous black boot on start up...as a consequence i needed to do a full reinstall...which was a pain in the arse

windows app only im afraid

cheers michael

mw

Post by mw » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:57 pm

:wink:

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:59 am

you could use a hardware connection, meaning run a cable from a midi out to a midi in on your controller keyboard.

there is other options apart from midiyoke though. have you tried loopbe? or maplemidi?
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

stinky

Post by stinky » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:31 am

umm... midioverlan, or plogue

mw

Post by mw » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:23 am

cheers i'll check those out :D

mw

Post by mw » Fri May 19, 2006 8:30 am

unfortunately those were not tested with bome mt so i didnt take the risk... after my crash ive been dead sceptical about installing stuff

heres the deal... ive got a massive gig at the end of the summer and i need some way of converting midi on/off into keystrokes without using midiyoke.... my set is getting more complex looping live guitars... double clicking is becoming a real hassle

could i use the mackie control emulator? or something else?

id really appreciate it if someone out there could help me out

quandry

Post by quandry » Fri May 19, 2006 3:28 pm

sorry about your probs with midi ox/yoke, I've had no probs with in on either of my computers running xp pro and xp home. I would say try it again, but sounds like thats not happening...In terms of converting midi to qwerty keystokes on pc, I think yoke/ox plus Bomes midi translator is the only way I know of. I use a 1010 midi footboard to do live looping of instruments in Live 3, and I'm able to trigger recording (and stop/loop) of clips in session view with one press to start recording, on press to stop/loop using simple midi control change signals. could you elaborate on why you have to press the pedal twice?
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

mw

Post by mw » Sat May 20, 2006 8:00 am

quandry wrote:sorry about your probs with midi ox/yoke, I've had no probs with in on either of my computers running xp pro and xp home. I would say try it again, but sounds like thats not happening...In terms of converting midi to qwerty keystokes on pc, I think yoke/ox plus Bomes midi translator is the only way I know of. I use a 1010 midi footboard to do live looping of instruments in Live 3, and I'm able to trigger recording (and stop/loop) of clips in session view with one press to start recording, on press to stop/loop using simple midi control change signals. could you elaborate on why you have to press the pedal twice?
cheers pal....ive never tried midi ox, i only tried midi yoke...will midi ox do the same job? to be fair at least i can enable system restore this time

basically because the digitech only sends midi cc info you need to click the foot controller twice to rec the loop twice to stop the loop because it going from 0-128 128-0...hope that makes sense

my live set relies on recording looped guitar...it would a whole lot easier to just press the thing once

quandry

Post by quandry » Sat May 20, 2006 4:38 pm

I'm pretty sure midi ox and midi yoke are companion programs that are both needed to run together. Maybe they are just the same thing--once installed, I just run midi ox and all runs smoothly. I think I get the cc message thing now--the FCB 1010 I have sends fixeds cc signals, so thats what I'm used to, and it therefore allows just one pedal press to start recording, and one to stop/loop. If you do feel like trying ox again, you can get it to change your incoming midi signal for your footboard to a fixed cc number, I think...thus getting you down to one pedal press not two. You probably know this, but if you are looping to Live's tempo (ie using the click in headphones or tempo locked backing tracks) you can set quantize to "bar" making it easier to hit the pedal twice anytime during the measure preceding when you want to record a loop. But it is still surely a pain to hit it twice.
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

mw

Post by mw » Sun May 21, 2006 8:18 am

quandry wrote:You probably know this, but if you are looping to Live's tempo (ie using the click in headphones or tempo locked backing tracks) you can set quantize to "bar" making it easier to hit the pedal twice anytime during the measure preceding when you want to record a loop. But it is still surely a pain to hit it twice.
yeah i set it up that way...

so you use bome mt wih ox/yoke?

i maybe be tempted to try again

quandry

Post by quandry » Sun May 21, 2006 2:20 pm

oh yeah, I definitely use Bomes with ox. I do live looping like you, all my sets start out blank and I build up tunes by looping bass, keys, guitar, and drums (via drumsticks on a drumkat into FL studios step seq. rewired to Live). I'm mainly a bass player, and given I'm doing so much, and given that even $250 loop pedals like the RC-20 have undo, I definitely want/need the ability to delete effed up clips hands-free. Thus, I still use Live 3, as the "midi select on launch" works every time--ver 4 it was totally messed up, in ver 5, the session clip grid has to be in "focus" (highlighted rectangle arround it) for midi select on launch to work.

the reason this is important to me is that if my loop I'm recording is selected when I "launch" it via my midi foot pedal, then if I hit the qwerty "delete" key, the clip can be deleted if I decide I want to record again. This is where Bomes comes in--I don't want to call attention to my mistake by having to take my hands off my instrument to touch the qwerty keyboard or mouse, so being able to delete the messed up clip I'm recording with my midi footboard is crucial. Bomes allows me to convert a midi foot pedal command into a qwerty keystroke like delete. To use Bomes, I believe it is necessary to use ox to route your midi signal from your footboard to both live and bomes by using ox to create virtual midi ports and be able to send one signal multiple places. I guess you could try to set the midi input for bomes and live as the same thing, not sure how that would go...Anyways, that's it in a nutshell, and again, I've bitched about it a LOT, but Live 4 and 5 suck ASS for live looping because "midi select on launch" does not work 100% of the time like in live 3. I hope they fix this, because as more instrumentalists want to use Live to perform live looping, the more I see people getting frustrated that Live can't even offer them a simple means of undo like the $250 pedals we are all migrating away from. Here's a link to my duos like performances if you're interested...

http://www.ryan-hughes.net/MixedBagFrameset.htm

Ryan

mw

Post by mw » Mon May 22, 2006 7:53 am

cheers for all the info pal...i'll check the tracks out later... you can hear my stuff here (theres no live recordings though)

im a live 5 user and in the past the parts ive looped have been very simple but with new tracks its getting more complex.....

i also use a boss rc20 and line 6 dl4 as loopers too, usually for ambient stuff... so sync isnt a problem

touch wood i havent needed to delete any clips live thus far...hope i havent given myself the kiss of death :lol: