using an electribe to control impulse or microtonic?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
_vrsn

using an electribe to control impulse or microtonic?

Post by _vrsn » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:10 am

anyone figured out a way to do this on a mac? it would be incredibly cool to select channels and write patterns with an es-1 as the controller. i can get midi-learn to work for the knobs, but not the pads.

anyone? please?

_vrsn

tbatchelli

Post by tbatchelli » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:20 am

It can be done. Impulse's mappings are hard coded, but you can change the midi messages that the Electribe sends out (at least, the Electribe-R II allows you to do it). It doesn't work right out of the box because the mapping is one octave off: I believe that Electribe messages start with C2 (for the bass drum) whereas Ableton expects a C3 (or the other way around, I used a keyboard to figure this one out).

It's really cool actually. Makes ableton even more fun to use because now you have a 16 step sequencer.

Toni.
Live5 + Reason3 + Pro Tools 7 + Digi002 + Virus Classic + M-Audio FW410^H^H^H^H^H^H RME Hammerfall DSP + MicroKontrol + PhatBoy

http://www.tbatchelli.org

_vrsn

Post by _vrsn » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:36 am

swwweeeeeeeeet....finally got the sequencer to work microtonic, including part mutes and solos. this is awesome!

i can get the electribes knobs to control parameters, but only on the active part. have you been able to setup so that the filter knob (for instance) can control the filter on the currently selected drum part? the electribe seems to send out a different midi number depending on the part selected.

_vrsn

Polyphonic

Post by Polyphonic » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:20 am

vrsn;

I've only used it briefly so can't confirm that it'll work for you but check out these:

http://nay-seven.com/Kergos-1.htm

They allow you to use your Electribes as a control surface :D

(and I agree, having an Electribe as a step sequencer for Impulse is absolutely fantastic *hugs ER1 and ES1*)