Tool - 10,000 Days / Vicarious

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:40 am

Digi V wrote: lateralus took a few listens, deeper dig for it to click.
everyones saying this album combines the best of both worlds.
granted, compositionaly speaking there was a decent track or two on lateralus - but the production was dull in my opinion. Flat and lifeless in comparison to aenema.

hopefully the 'best of both worlds' isnt just some hype to sell cds, and means something along the lines of aenema production with compositions like those found in lateralus.

I couldnt handle more boring flat & cheesy production

I.AM.AN.EXIT

Post by I.AM.AN.EXIT » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:58 am

for me, tool have been getting better with every release. undertow was decent, and established their style. Aenima was excellent and groundbreaking, and I thought they couldn't top that but lateralus just about did. I thought it was a more focussed effort than aenima and really worked from beginning to end. There's not one duff tune on the album whereas I must say I skip a couple on Aenima. The production was great... it tried something completely different to anything else I've ever heard, by burying the vocals in the back and bringing the rhythms to the front. It really rocks on a great sound system. I've heard the new tool single, and I will agree that it sounds a bit like tool by numbers, however not bad at all, and I will reserve judgement until I hear the full length album

I.AM.AN.EXIT

Post by I.AM.AN.EXIT » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:00 pm

Digi V wrote: lateralus took a few listens, deeper dig for it to click.
everyones saying this album combines the best of both worlds.
yes, I have to agree. Lateralus was a slow burner for me. It took almost 3 months before I loved it, from initial indifference. Those sort of albums are always the best, and are the ones which stick around the longest. Definetely stick with it. You will be rewarded.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:01 pm

must...not....reply...must....keep....chewing....tongue.....

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:40 am

im diggin this album more and more the more i listen to it..

for others who have heard.. the track "the pot" is that really maynard singing??

wow...

the beginning of this track is the future of Tool (please please pretty please) it's like Tool meets At The Drive In / The Mars Volta...

edit: the mixing or mastering has messed this album up i reckon.. the ear fatigue is quite high i think it all sounds quite flat and a bit brittle in some parts. ... everything is clear, but the elements all drill in your brain a bit too much for Tool.

also there's a track with some rain and thunder samples which i could have done without.

i think the band has done an amazing job musically, but the producer and the engineer/mastering has let them down.

KInetic

Post by KInetic » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:09 am

sweetjesus wrote:im diggin this album more and more the more i listen to it..

for others who have heard.. the track "the pot" is that really maynard singing??

wow...

the beginning of this track is the future of Tool (please please pretty please) it's like Tool meets At The Drive In / The Mars Volta...

edit: the mixing or mastering has messed this album up i reckon.. the ear fatigue is quite high i think it all sounds quite flat and a bit brittle in some parts. ... everything is clear, but the elements all drill in your brain a bit too much for Tool.

also there's a track with some rain and thunder samples which i could have done without.

i think the band has done an amazing job musically, but the producer and the engineer/mastering has let them down.
Yup, I was quite surprised when I heard that they had picked Joe Barresi to produce this, he´s always been a stoner/punk-rock producer, his sound is very much a throwback to 70´s type production.

It might be good for Queens Of The Stone Age or Kyuss, but not for Tool.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:28 pm

KInetic wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:im diggin this album more and more the more i listen to it..

wow...

Yup, I was quite surprised when I heard that they had picked Joe Barresi to produce this, he´s always been a stoner/punk-rock producer, his sound is very much a throwback to 70´s type production.

It might be good for Queens Of The Stone Age or Kyuss, but not for Tool.
i didnt know who the producer was but yeah you have echoed the thoughts i had earlier..

you have to understand tool. through their natural sound they create eerie vibes and future psychotic landscapes.. you don't need to go chasing it with background whispers, rain samples and backwards talking.

EDIT: after reasin up in wikipedia... "In August 2005 he started working with Tool on recording their new album, after being recommended to them by Buzz Osborne of the Melvins." .. where do i send the threatening letter to Buzz.

jalfonso1

Post by jalfonso1 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:25 pm

is it just me, or does Maynard's voice sound more raspy and not as clear as before. I have only heard the Vicarious single, but thats the impression I had. Is his voice this way on the rest of the album? Nonetheless I think the song is great! Especially the guitar chords at the end..incredible!

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:08 pm

jalfonso1 wrote:is it just me, or does Maynard's voice sound more raspy and not as clear as before. I have only heard the Vicarious single, but thats the impression I had. Is his voice this way on the rest of the album? Nonetheless I think the song is great! Especially the guitar chords at the end..incredible!
i think thats just the vox they use, that or maybe its just the rough version of the song?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:08 pm

Digi V wrote:
jalfonso1 wrote:is it just me, or does Maynard's voice sound more raspy and not as clear as before. I have only heard the Vicarious single, but thats the impression I had. Is his voice this way on the rest of the album? Nonetheless I think the song is great! Especially the guitar chords at the end..incredible!
i think thats just the vox they use, that or maybe its just the rough version of the song?
thats just the processing that his voice has gone under for that song.

jalfonso1

Post by jalfonso1 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:38 pm

cool effect, but his voice untouched is the best

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:00 pm

jalfonso1 wrote:cool effect, but his voice untouched is the best
ditto

THE POT!!! this track is fucking brilliant, i hope they make more like this.. it's easily the standout songwriting effort.

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:28 am

glu

Post by glu » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:16 pm

ah... i love tool. Thanks for the article...

I found this really interesting from the article.

“What happens is I might be having a drink with a friend in a bar, minding my own business, when all of a sudden some person will come up, tell me how great I am, and offer to buy me drink, never minding that I may be in a conversation. Or I might be in the park with my son, and it’s ‘hey, are you Maynard from Tool?’ ‘Well, no – right now, I’m the father of this child and I want to be alone.’ Suddenly I have been set-up. Because if I don’t accept the drink, or ignore him, or say I’m in the middle of talking to a friend, that makes me a pretentious asshole?” He shakes his head, heatedly. “Just because I’m in a band doesn’t make me a public servant."
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:22 pm

"Shut up and buy my new record... fuck you, buddy..."
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.