Saturator

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Former Pharaoh

Saturator

Post by Former Pharaoh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:19 am

Can anyone recommend a VST plug that closely resembles the saturator?
I use the saturator for my final mixes to give them some warmth etc. and was wondering what VST plug ins were comparable.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:20 am

PSP MixSaturator from the PSP MixPack

Audiomidi.com has the MixPack for $135

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:42 am

AdamJay wrote:PSP MixSaturator from the PSP MixPack

Audiomidi.com has the MixPack for $135
Sold. I tried the Mixpack about 6 months ago and liked what i heard but never got around to buying it. Time to spend. Thanks Adam!

mikHATz

Post by mikHATz » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:07 am

I really like tube by antares. Not as many params as saturator but sounds great to me.

M I K

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:24 pm

mikHATz wrote:I really like tube by antares. Not as many params as saturator but sounds great to me.

M I K
That iLok turns me off. That and i can get a whole mix pack from PSP at a much cheaper rate. I figure get the mix pack, stereo pack and the vintage warmer for a final touch. Then T racks it and Sound Forge it and Audacity it and.......

Nod

Post by Nod » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:47 pm

Another cool freebie - check out TBT's Saturated Driver - http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:41 pm

speaking of saturators, where is the best place to put a saturator in an effects chain? i'm thinking after eq, before compression, but i could be totally wrong.

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:50 pm

snowtires wrote:speaking of saturators, where is the best place to put a saturator in an effects chain? i'm thinking after eq, before compression, but i could be totally wrong.
With my personal use, I say there is no hard rule. I usually put the saturator after the EQ.
Sometimes, i like that "choke" sound a compressor gives to a dance tune and depending on what kind of "color" setting i have in the saturator, putting it pre/post will give a different sound/vibe. It's all preference.
The only thing to watch out for of course is distortion and clipping. Personally, i leave absolutely no room for clipping. Not one bit of red goes through my mains. I get decent results where people can blast the tune w/o hearing any distortion.
I say decent depending on how good i mixed the song. Mixing is everything IMO.

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Nod wrote:Another cool freebie - check out TBT's Saturated Driver - http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/
Thanks for the link! I have to try these out!

ploy

Post by ploy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:11 am

the TLs Saturated Driver from above is a very fine, subtle sound-tuner. i use it very often as a soft push-up.

snowtires wrote:speaking of saturators, where is the best place to put a saturator in an effects chain? i'm thinking after eq, before compression, but i could be totally wrong.
irony? try try try, "the correct solution" sometimes is an enemy.