[OT] Help to stay away from alcohol needed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:40 am

alan* wrote:Been following this thread since it started and just wanted to say thanks to conny for starting it and everyone else that has contributed along the way, it's helped me to make a change. This weekend was the first weekend for me that I can remember, in must be at least 5 years, that i have gone without a drink. I've been a bit of a shocker lately, and have just been getting worse over the last couple years. So anyway, thanks. I might even just keep this going.
nice one Alan!

you've shown your face now, so you'll probably get hooked in like the rest of us !

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:04 am

hambone1 wrote:That reminds me of a joke...

What's the difference between Princess Di and Michael Hutchence?

She WASN'T wearing her belt... he WAS wearing his!
:D

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:52 pm

LOFA wrote:
hambone1 wrote:That reminds me of a joke...

What's the difference between Princess Di and Michael Hutchence?

She WASN'T wearing her belt... he WAS wearing his!
:D

"Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
Here's a belt and some Coke
You can be Michael Hutchence too" .

That was actually a real valentines day card message a female friend of mine sent to her EX .......

8O 8O 8O :lol:

No love lost there methinks :o
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

colin_h

Post by colin_h » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:09 am

bump!
no page 2 for you....
:o
..-

forge

Post by forge » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:16 am

colin_h wrote:bump!
no page 2 for you....
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

lost me there!

forge

Post by forge » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:23 am

day 3 1/2

so far the evenings have been saved by watching movies - 1st night Empire strikes back, 2nd night revenge of the sith, last night 40 YO virgin and I tells ya that is one funny movie.

At first I was thinking "oh no this is one of those stupid movies that just relies on loads of swearing and stupid sex jokes" but it just got funnier and funnier. It definitely had an aspect of one of those movies but it was really good comedy at the same time.

I laughed hard in my loud voice at that one - like i did with Bowfinger (where the scene with the dog in high heels had me literally gasping for air)

Any way, dreamt of weed last night - dont normally do that - maybe the Apple pipe in the movie triggered it

Not finding the urge to drink or smoke is so strong at the moment, but I havent sat down to try and make music yet - that will be the real test

colin_h

Post by colin_h » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:30 am

forge wrote:
no page 2 for you....

lost me there!
:)

seemed to me that this thread was a little
too close to the bottom of the first page
of the general forum, so 'bump' 'twas...
..-

forge

Post by forge » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:08 am

colin_h wrote:
forge wrote:
no page 2 for you....

lost me there!

seemed to me that this thread was a little
too close to the bottom of the first page
of the general forum, so 'bump' 'twas...
yeah I'm starting to feel slightly embarrassed about the fact...it kind of turned in to more of a private conversation a while ago - although some people chime in here and there with some cool takes on it

amo

Post by amo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:27 am

forge wrote: yeah I'm starting to feel slightly embarrassed about the fact...it kind of turned in to more of a private conversation a while ago - although some people chime in here and there with some cool takes on it
I would not worry about being private mate ! Although we are on a music application software and that would be a place to talk about music, the above mentionned software and its concurrents, I am sure that thread is read and appreciated by many people, for it i really positive, and I'm also sure it helps some people getting over their own addictions or at least try to, or think of them.
For instance, I'm again on the nicotine free road, and that's been inspired by that discussion, so, thanks to Conny and you !

Oh yeah, and go back to music Forge ! you'll see a clear mind can output shiny ideas !

Cheers to all,

amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

forge

Post by forge » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:01 am

amo wrote:
forge wrote: yeah I'm starting to feel slightly embarrassed about the fact...it kind of turned in to more of a private conversation a while ago - although some people chime in here and there with some cool takes on it
I would not worry about being private mate ! Although we are on a music application software and that would be a place to talk about music, the above mentionned software and its concurrents, I am sure that thread is read and appreciated by many people, for it i really positive, and I'm also sure it helps some people getting over their own addictions or at least try to, or think of them.
For instance, I'm again on the nicotine free road, and that's been inspired by that discussion, so, thanks to Conny and you !

Oh yeah, and go back to music Forge ! you'll see a clear mind can output shiny ideas !

Cheers to all,

amo
hope you're right! This is where the biggest hurdle of the challenge comes

At the moment I'm half expecting it will spell the end of house and techno for me - it always seems to need a pounding heart beat and big party feeling for me to have the stamina for it - techno especially

I'm having images of getting out the guitars and doing quiet laid back music because I'm wondering how I'll find the energy for it any more - but I dont want to do that

guess it's just me deceiving myself again, I'm sure I'll figure it out

My mate in London who started as a DJ is one of the most prolific people I've ever met and once when I was telling him about my stupid thing of smoking weed then drinking beer to kill the paranoia that comes with the weed and he just said to me "all I have when I'm making music is water" that made me feel really pathetic and useless

He gets in the vibe by playing records - he goes out to charity shops all the time looking for 80s soul records to sample, so he's always in this state of getting excited and revved up by his new tunes and samples then when he cant hold it any more fires up live and busts up some beats. He's one of the most inspiring people I know and I've always been highly envious.

So tonight I may actually have some time and give it a shot but at the moment I'm completely at a loss of where to start - I'm just on a total different wavelength from getting up at 6am with the dog and thinking I wont be cracking open a beer in a minute just adds to that calm sort of mundane normal life feeling - it just makes me feel like going and laying on the couch watching telly

I need to try what my mate did and listen to loads of new tunes to get inspired first - normally I listen to online mixes and radio but I dont even feel like doing that - I dont have a credit card any more but I'd like to get some new tunes off beatport and do a mix with them - I need to ind a way of doing that

markaugust

Post by markaugust » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:31 pm

I just smoked my last sigaret yesterday. after persistent smoking for about 13 years.
a little off topic, but when I read this thread while I was allready gathering courage; I found out it's all the same thing. drinking, smoking, smoking weed, to much drugs.
It's all in the habit and the addiction. breaking the circle with head and hart, and it is easier then you think.
and yes, finding help in whatever way is strong in stead of weak.
I got myself this helpbook to give me the right push (a little allen-carr typish book) to brainwash me from this haze that smoking was my friend in need, my litle partner , into the fact that you are actually smoking every half hour cauz else the coldturkey feeling gets to aching....

anywayz, I'm going into a better day without the cancersticks now, and wanted to say that I love how friendly and genuine and real most people on this forum are and what power comes of that.

cheers to all

conny

Post by conny » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:55 pm

markaugust wrote:I just smoked my last sigaret yesterday. after persistent smoking for about 13 years.
Amazing. And you say that without doubt! Great, you'll be fine!
When it gets hard, just count the money you are saving - an objective motivation!

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

conny

Post by conny » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:15 pm

forge wrote:I'm wondering how I'll find the energy for it any more
That's about my position so far too, after one and a half week.
I write this drinking water with lime.
I have a job to do, I want to wrap up my poetry writings and send to some publishers. But I realize that most of the writing and planning etc for it was done in halfdrunk states, so I have trouble getting into it from this side of life.

I read about crisis of creativity many years ago, saying that young artists may work on inspiration but often, at some point, it will not be that strong anymore. At that point, many can't find out how to progress They stop or start drinking heavily or kill themselves or do just fade out into "normal" life, accepting. But some manage to go through this state. Strindberg is supposed to have done that ("Inferno").

The thing here is that when inspiration is not the big force anymore, you have to find another way of getting things done. And that maybe more of a building brick by brick work then a genius that creates momentarily in sparks of energy.

Dull things like planning, using a scheme... But also things like them mentioned in the "wall" thread, Eno's random cards etc.

If you want to create, waiting for inspiration is a waste of time.
Work itself is the best way to get inspired.

O holy guru, say after me...

You have to work to get into the work.

Or just give it a break.
If it is important, it will come back.

I need to think about in what degree sound and music software etc have been things for me to fiddle with while drinking. No fun watching the wall and getting drunk. And TV is boring too.

// C
Last edited by conny on Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

colin_h

Post by colin_h » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:41 pm

this is a very thought provoking thread.
and now, the wisdom of the Ancients:

Depeche Mode

Work Hard

You've got to work hard, you've got to work hard
If you want anything at all

Nothing comes easy
And that's a fact
Nothing comes easy
But a broken back

Nothing comes easy
It never will
Nothing comes easy
But a broken will

You've got to work hard
You've got to work hard
You've got to work hard
So work hard!
..-

marky

Post by marky » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:12 pm

I love a good bevvy (I'm Scottish after all!) but I really can't make music when I'm drinking. I end up getting really excited about a riff and have another driknk... and lay stuff down and drink some more, stick some beats down (drink some more).. start planning out the arrangement (and drink another)... and I head to bed thinking I've just had a really productive night sticking down some ace new track...

... then check it again in the morning and it's crap!

I always write and work sober.. drinking is my reward for when I'm done!