LIVE5 and EnergyXT users - Any issues?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
anti-banausic

LIVE5 and EnergyXT users - Any issues?

Post by anti-banausic » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:14 pm

I posted this in the beta test forum, but I am having some serious issues when loading projects that have EnergyXT as a VSTi back to back in LIVE5.

It seems that everytime I load a set that is using EnergyXT as a VSTi after another set using energyXT as a VSTi energyXT does not accept MIDI from LIVE.

Can anyone confirm this, because it is driving me nuts, and seriously is damaging to workflow right now.

On another note, I am absolutely loving LIVE5 and have been from the first beta circle. It is great and will get only better after some of these last little things are taken care of.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
AB
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:36 pm

confirmed some months later with live 4.
anyone at abletons had a look at it??

WaveRider

Re: LIVE5 and EnergyXT users - Any issues?

Post by WaveRider » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:06 pm

anti-banausic wrote:I posted this in the beta test forum, but I am having some serious issues when loading projects that have EnergyXT as a VSTi back to back in LIVE5.

It seems that everytime I load a set that is using EnergyXT as a VSTi after another set using energyXT as a VSTi energyXT does not accept MIDI from LIVE.
Same here.....

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:34 pm

Sadly, due to this problem I have since stopped using EXT as a vsti plug in LIVE5. Haven't tried it much, but will try to confirm. Sucks, though.

Maybe XT2 will be more usable, not that the problem resides with Jorgen, but most likely with Ableton.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

Frank Hoffmann

Post by Frank Hoffmann » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:15 pm

anti-banausic wrote:Sadly, due to this problem I have since stopped using EXT as a vsti plug in LIVE5. Haven't tried it much, but will try to confirm. Sucks, though.

Maybe XT2 will be more usable, not that the problem resides with Jorgen, but most likely with Ableton.
Why do you think so?

Frank
Frank Hoffmann
hoffmann@ableton.com

astar

Post by astar » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:07 am

Yup, that's confirmed... A workaround for that is to open an empty live set before opening a new set with eXT inside.

But I've found a more serious issue with eXT and LIVE:
see this thread, I'd appreciate if you could take a look as well Mr. Hoffman :):

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34264

This is a serious bug with eXT drop down menus within LIVE. It is making eXT and Live a useless and buggy combo for me now. I hope eXT's developer (Jorgen) and the Abletons can talk this over so something gets done instead of pointing the blame at each other.

From my experience it doesn't happen with other hosts which suggests the way Live handles subwindows and drop-down menus within VSTs is buggy. See this thread at KVR as well:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124197

Thanks and good luck with the beta testing
Astar

Frank Hoffmann

Post by Frank Hoffmann » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:37 am

I don't blame anybody, but I would like you to understand the following:

1) a VST host on Windows has no control or influence on how a plug-in handles it's window or windows, except for resizing the main window and closing the main window, which is not the case here, if I got it right. There is absolutely nothing we can do. In addition every plug-in that uses the Steinberg SDK for developing a plug-in works without GUI glitches in Live.

2) if there is really a problem with loading a new Live set with an Energy XT installed, then i would think that opening a second Energy XT in a song and closing the old one would create similar problems. And that should happen in all hosts. Most likely the problem is that Live creates an instance of the new loaded VST in the new song before closing the old VST instance in the old one. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I really would like Energy XT to work because you guys care about it and I would be really happy to help the developer out with achieving that. But the problem can't be solved without a contribution of the plug-in developer. I am more than happy to fix everything where Live behaves wrong.

What I don't understand is, have you ever thought about asking the developer to test with Live? If he would do he can find the problems early in development. Then he could fix the problems or contact me to discuss a solution.

Frank
Frank Hoffmann
hoffmann@ableton.com

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:04 pm

if there is really a problem with loading a new Live set with an Energy XT installed, then i would think that opening a second Energy XT in a song and closing the old one would create similar problems. And that should happen in all hosts.
it doesn't happen on all host, that's for sure (as the resizing problem in the past existed only in live), and I just tested, at least in live 4.1.2 (I never updated to 4.1.4, but the issue seems to be here even in the last 5.xx version), opening two instances doesn't seem to be a problem, at least I don't have the same symptoms at first view.

I m sure Jorgen will be ok to have some help, or to help you, and I really hope to see my two preferred softwares working happily together (especially since I recently discover I can record automation from any controller assigned to a parameter in ext, EVEN in session mode (in fact, it record a controller, and the controller is affected in ext;) )

astar

Post by astar » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:11 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Frank, I have started a thread about the drop-down menu issue on kvr-vst.com's energy XT forum as well and Jorgen has said he is looking into it. Hopefully he will contact you as well to look into the issue.

The reason it may be an issue with Live is because it doesn't happen with other hosts. Maybe it is not a BUG, per say, but it could possibly be just the way LIVE handles VSTs differently from some other hosts? I'm not a developer but this is the theory I have heard so far from people who also share the same issue.

Please have a look again at the KVR thread as well
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124197

Thanks

Frank Hoffmann

Post by Frank Hoffmann » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:25 pm

astar wrote:Thanks for the quick reply Frank, I have started a thread about the drop-down menu issue on kvr-vst.com's energy XT forum as well and Jorgen has said he is looking into it. Hopefully he will contact you as well to look into the issue.

The reason it may be an issue with Live is because it doesn't happen with other hosts. Maybe it is not a BUG, per say, but it could possibly be just the way LIVE handles VSTs differently from some other hosts? I'm not a developer but this is the theory I have heard so far from people who also share the same issue.
I can understand that, but you can also say that thousends other plug-in don't have such a problem in Live, so it can't be Live's fault. Most times it's not that easy. I would suggest not to come to too fast conclusions. We will see what comes out. The best place to start is actually the plug-in, because the problem happens there and not in Live. So there is the place to find out what is going wrong.

Frank
Frank Hoffmann
hoffmann@ableton.com

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:06 pm

I remember Jorgen introduced some kind of trick to enable window resizing in live (at this time it was also the only problematic host), I ll try with beta anterior to this fix to see if the current problem was already here.
I know there is so much plug in on the market that you and abletons cannot anticipate all eventual bugs and issues. I also hope there is a way to find a solution, from one side or another (for me; it will be better that the problem come from ext, as I only own live 4, and contrary to Jorgen, abletons update policy will exclude me from the fix until I update (mean the day live will record automation in session mode :hihi:).

astar

Post by astar » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:04 am

Thanks Frank, I understand it's possible that Jorgen could fix something in eXT to get this working as well, and it might not all be an Ableton issue, that's why I have posted this on both forums. Maybe to try to get some kind of communication rolling so we can figure out where the issue REALLY is.

Well I guess for now I'll have to play the waiting game... :?

astar

Post by astar » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:45 pm

GREAT NEWS!

Jorgen has fixed the eXT and Live issues... check the latest beta update in the Downloads section at www.xt-hq.com !

Human Koala

Post by Human Koala » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:06 pm

yes it works well now ;o)