FIX YOUR SHIT ABLETON! Totally FED UP!!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:26 am

supster wrote:one more thing (that deserves its own post):

why is it that - in the computer industry - more so than any other - its ALWAYS on the backs of the users to constantly fight to show its not thier problem

if you have a problem with your car, and it wont start, most people dont assume you arent out of gas. theres a mechanical problem that needs to be fixed, you bring it in, they diagnose it, and they fix it

you dont have to log onto an anoymous board, and argue with the company ... and then have other people .. whose cars do start, and assume you are deficient because yours doesnt ... come into your thread and write glowing testimonials about the car and threads you started because your out 70 grand and BMW cant figure out what the problem is

you dont hear people say "well have you swapped out the engine yet?? because i built mine from the ground up using custom hand built parts" or "well obviously your driving with passengers in your car, thats your problem ... you really shouldnt have anybody else in there"

software/hardware interactions get so complex, and there are so many vendors involved, that everybody gets Pass the Buck Syndrome.

Its Not Us - Its the User ... or .. Its Not Us - Its Those Other Guys

and the biggest irony?:

sofware/hardware vendors are full of IT people that are going through the same exact thing with OTHER companies every day.

at the same time they are reading these posts and figuring out why its not thier problem ... they are typing thier OWN POST out on another board about some buggy shit coding software or with Microsoft about why the server just quit or some game that they are playing at lunch with everybody in the office WONT RECOGNIZE THE FUCKING LOGITECH MINI MOUSE CONTROLLER GODAMMIT

its all such a big game, it such a pain in the ass to come on here and try and state your case over and over to get some results

and ya'll can sympathize becuase in some other area you are going thru the SAME EXACT THING with somebody else
There's allot of truth in that, my brotha..............

supster

Post by supster » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:35 am

eyeknow wrote:

why is it that - in the computer industry - more so than any other - its ALWAYS on the backs of the users to constantly fight to show its not thier problem

if you have a problem with your car, and it wont start, most people dont assume you arent out of gas. theres a mechanical problem that needs to be fixed, you bring it in, they diagnose it, and they fix it

you dont have to log onto an anoymous board, and argue with the company ... and then have other people .. whose cars do start, and assume you are deficient because yours doesnt ... come into your thread and write glowing testimonials about the car and threads you started because your out 70 grand and BMW cant figure out what the problem is

you dont hear people say "well have you swapped out the engine yet?? because i built mine from the ground up using custom hand built parts" or "well obviously your driving with passengers in your car, thats your problem ... you really shouldnt have anybody else in there"

software/hardware interactions get so complex, and there are so many vendors involved, that everybody gets Pass the Buck Syndrome.

and the biggest irony?:

sofware/hardware vendors are full of IT people that are going through the same exact thing with OTHER companies every day.

at the same time they are reading these posts and figuring out why its not thier problem ... they are typing thier OWN POST out on another board about some buggy shit coding software or with Microsoft about why the server just quit or some game that they are playing at lunch with everybody in the office WONT RECOGNIZE THE FUCKING LOGITECH MINI MOUSE CONTROLLER GODAMMIT

its all such a big game, it such a pain in the ass to come on here and try and state your case over and over to get some results

and ya'll can sympathize becuase in some other area you are going thru the SAME EXACT THING with somebody else

so much, it hurts ...
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:56 am

supster wrote:
eyeknow wrote:

and the biggest irony?:

so much, it hurts ...
Cars are rammed solid with moving parts, repy on people to install parts correctly on each vehicle, the margins are massive for error and thats why you may get a problem with one and not another.

Ableton Live is simply a copied file on either cd or download, every bodies copy is identical.

So in theory if there are people with no problems, everybody should have no problems.

i have no problems with live, as i have none with Kontakt 2, Reaktor 5, Cubase SL3, and Adobe Audition 1.5, but what i also notice is that nobody else seems to have a real problem with any of the mentioned programs apart from live.

Why is it, that these other well established programs dont have the same problems a live, assuming people dont have identical setups with these either?

EVERYBODY WITH PROBLEMS TAKE MY ADVICE
Get a very powerful Laptop,
an EMU 1616M Cardbus audio system
and Problems will be solved.

another observation with problematic people, the theme of low power computers, M-Audio and plugins keep cropping up.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:08 am

It's especially lame when you can't seem to reproduce the crashes.

I understand how the Abe's could feel frustrated by people just reporting random crashes. There's not much they can do to find out what's causing the crash without knowing where to look.

What's the protocol for users in this situation, where crashes aren't reproduceable? Should we report them anyway?

k

supster

Post by supster » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:20 am

wilxon wrote:Ableton Live is simply a copied file on either cd or download, every bodies copy is identical.

So in theory if there are people with no problems, everybody should have no problems.
this logic is inherently flat out wrong.

every copy of live is identical, but the permutations and combinations of what people run it on, what they combine it with and how they use it is potentially vast.

not that vast though, there are certain common denominators that need to be accounted for and can be tracked down. sometimes its extremely difficult, but not impossible

another observation with problematic people, the theme of low power computers, M-Audio and plugins keep cropping up.
read more carefully, and you will find an equal thread of people with similar symptoms running state of the art, top of the line boxes ... totally different interface brands, and NO plugins

please pay closer attention, its so interesting that people come into a thread like this and think they have this easy answer that nobody has considered yet ... meanwhile the topic has been going on for for a while without them ...

this thread is about issue that have been going on for months, has gone on for 6 pages and shows no sign of stopping any time soon because nobody has hit the simple answer.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:31 am

supster wrote:
wilxon wrote:Ableton Live is simply a copied file on either cd or download, every bodies copy is identical.

this logic is inherently flat out wrong.

every copy of live is identical, but the permutations and combinations of what people run it on, what they combine it with and how they use it is potentially vast.

not that vast though, there are certain common denominators that need to be accounted for and can be tracked down. sometimes its extremely difficult, but not impossible

read more carefully, and you will find an equal thread of people with similar symptoms running state of the art, top of the line boxes ... totally different interface brands, and NO plugins

please pay closer attention, its so interesting that people come into a thread like this and think they have this easy answer that nobody has considered yet ... meanwhile the topic has been going on for for a while without them ...

this thread is about issue that have been going on for months, has gone on for 6 pages and shows no sign of stopping any time soon because nobody has hit the simple answer.
ITS OK TO QUOTE SMALL BITS OF WHAT I SAID AND ARGUE ABOUT THEM,

IF YOU QUOTE THE WHOLE THING AND READ IT YOU WILL SEE THAT I WAS MAKING A COMPARISON BETWEEN LIVE AND OTHER AUDIO APPS.

I was merely pointing out that other programs seem to work regardles of setup.
the setup, software and hardware should only make a difference of what you can do and what you cant do in a studio, not crash the whole system.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:15 pm

When is the last time complaining about something over and over again made a situation better for you? You are victimizing yourself, saying that the fault for your setup not working lies with someone else, and they need to fix it for you or else you can't make music.

What you could be doing is direct that energy elsewhere. Take responsibility for things not working the way you want them to. Just like no one is going to write your music for you, no one is going to get your system to run, YOU have to do that.

If that means you need to learn something you don't know yet, you need to do that. If it means you've exhausted all possibilities of getting a piece of hardware to work, you might need to sell it and get something that does work.

Music IS problem solving wether it's getting the drums to work with the bassline, or the track to render the way you want it to. You can spend your precious time and energy complaining or you can own your problems and find a solution. There always is a solution and you will learn a lot from (sometimes painfully) solving it.

:D

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:32 pm

Keith,

could you provide me with the system crash log of Live?
"/Users/USERNAME/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Live.crash.log"

regards,
/Alex

supster

Post by supster » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:21 pm

wilxon wrote:I was merely pointing out that other programs seem to work regardles of setup.
the setup, software and hardware should only make a difference of what you can do and what you cant do in a studio, not crash the whole system.
sorry, looks like i completely misunderstood what you were saying
--

supster

Post by supster » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:22 pm

dbl post

Last edited by supster on Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:28 pm

supster wrote:
wilxon wrote:I was merely pointing out that other programs seem to work regardles of setup.
sorry, looks like i completely misunderstood what you were saying
Thats ok matey :lol:

supster

Post by supster » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:29 pm

djsynchro wrote:When is the last time complaining about something over and over again made a situation better for you?

never.. except ...

when coming on a manufacturers board, and doing our best to JUSTIFY why they have a responsiblity to work on thier product to make it stable ..

... is part of the price we pay for running complex technology. really aggravating, but true

so - we need to be persistant.

because, arrogant fuckers like yourself that dont really understand the issues, dont know the history behind it, and dont really have anything of value to add .. but come in to gloat with a subtly patronizing attitude to feed your ego ...and theres a chance that Ableton will believe you over us

so, another annoying side effect is that we have to keep shooting you down as well by providing evidence

if you want the evidence, go back and read. if not please STFU
If it means you've exhausted all possibilities of getting a piece of hardware to work, you might need to sell it and get something that does work.

this is bullshit

buy me $2000-3000 worth of brand new gear so it runs as well as you say yours does, so the product can work even close to what its supposed to on what i already have

or, like i said already - and you probably didnt read, because thats not why you come in here - if you have a miracle answer that the entire ableton team has not come up with, nor anybody else in all the hundreds of professional, semi-pro, and amatuer people that read this board ever week have been able to come up with in 6 months and more in some cases ..

if you have that answer please bestow it on us

truth is, if i werent some "anonymous board user" that you apparently like to come onto threads like these and try and patronize with that typical nerdy "IT guy" attitude, you would know my story and basically know that i gave jup on using Live as an arrangement app after a long time dealing with this, longer than youve been around

i use Cubase now, and it works great for that, and all the effort im doing to state our case or help troubleshoot this product is to regain all of the past 2 years of effort i put into using Live. if i didnt think it was still great i wouldnt be here.

and you are the 4th or 5th moron that has come along with that attitude. your all the same
Last edited by supster on Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--

dick nixon

Post by dick nixon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:00 pm

I thought updating all your drivers was the way to go? apparently not in the firewire410 case...
Actually, no. If your driver is working fine and doing everything you want it to, upgrading is not necessarily a good idea. This crap happens all the time -- new drivers break things. That's not unusual. Not even a little bit. Always keep copies of the old working drivers before upgrading when possible, so you can revert when this happens.

And for what it's worth, Live never crashes on me. And I didn't flash my BIOS, disconnect from the internet, upgrade my motherboard, etc. It's the most stable audio app I've ever had installed on my system (Except for maybe Audition, but that's a whole different type of thing.), and I've tried out a bunch.

But if you just can't handle it, why keep up with all the insults and negativity? If properly-filed bug reports are getting you nowhere, why not just use something else? Why keep logging in here just to fling mud?

If you do switch though, I can assure you, you're going to find bugs and things you don't like in those other apps too. [/quote]

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:16 pm

do all of you upset people need to use such foul language all of the time,
80% of the time its uncalled for.

i realise that problems are fustrating, i have had problems and nothing is more annoying than not being able to do what you want to do, i know this.

I dont think selling stuff to buy other stuff is a realistic solution, you will be changing your setup around on every update, new release, or program you buy.

software should just work.

it woks for me, i have no problem.

on the other hand, a simple change of audio interface COULD mean all problems are solved.

I had an echo indigo DJ. crackled poped like hell on Live (5.0.1/2) but i ran it using asio full duplex drivers for low latency noise free.

changed laptop to much more powerful spec, and indigo would crash the system as soon as it was inserted. Turned out that it was in compatibl with my new laptop.

I sent it back to supplier, exchange with a little extra cash for an Edirol Fa66, not as good as i hoped, no crackleing this time, just struggled at 512 buffer.

sent it back

Then i upgrade again to the EMU 1616M and now running like a dream.

From my own personal experience, that is how i have come to running a smooth system.

I havnt had a good play with 5.0.3 yet but will do

The idea that Live was causing the crackling and pops had not even occured to me until this thread started and i have already got sorted out.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:25 pm

supster wrote:
i gave jup on using Live as an arrangement app after a long time dealing with this, longer than youve been around

i use Cubase now, and it works great for that, and all the effort im doing to state our case or help troubleshoot this product is to regain all of the past 2 years of effort i put into using Live. if i didnt think it was still great i wouldnt be here.

and you are the 4th or 5th moron that has come along with that attitude. your all the same
I use cubase SL3 for starting compositions also. i have used it for longer than live and i am much quicker at designing drum loops there.

also the midi routing is much better, i can send 16 midi channels to Kontakt 2 with great ease.

i use live to finish tunes off, audition as my wav editor, and live to dj.

I think its worth mentionng here that i dont like the way cubase renders either.