Can two UC-33 controllers be used simultaneously?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
barrett

Can two UC-33 controllers be used simultaneously?

Post by barrett » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:10 am

So I bought two of these controllers because I wanted to control more parameters but when i hook them both up only one transnits midi messages . . . any ideas? Is it possible?

sqook

Post by sqook » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:24 am

First of all, does live see both controllers in its midi list? Or is it just showing one of them?

Secondly (and assuming the first condition is true), have you made sure that both controllers are sending data on different midi cc's? You might have to whip out the user's manual and reprogram your second uc to send it's data on a different channel...

barrett

Post by barrett » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:43 am

I tried different channels on both. When I turn one off live shows that I it is recieving midi messages from either controller that is on. When both are on, it only shoes midi messanges from the one that shoes up first on the list in the midi setup (they both show up)

mosca

Post by mosca » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:50 pm

use enigma to change the id's of the uc33e's

they are both probably set to the same id - this is in the manual you get with the units (printed) i believe - if not it's in the .pdf

mo

barrett

tried changing device ID but not working

Post by barrett » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:51 am

I have tried to change the device ID on the actual controller by pressing the two buttons that correspond to device ID and changing the number. The controllers still don't work simultaneously, but will work when the one or the other is switched off. Does anybody else out there use two UC-33's with Live . . . I would really like to know how you got them to work. I also tried to do it through Enigma but it wasn't obvious.

Thanks

inis

Re: tried changing device ID but not working

Post by inis » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:58 am

barrett wrote:I have tried to change the device ID on the actual controller by pressing the two buttons that correspond to device ID and changing the number. The controllers still don't work simultaneously, but will work when the one or the other is switched off. Does anybody else out there use two UC-33's with Live . . . I would really like to know how you got them to work. I also tried to do it through Enigma but it wasn't obvious.

Thanks
Engima isnt obvious. thats one of its flaws, lol.

dont waste time waiting for someone to reply, just call m-audio. they are cool with tech support and very knowledgable about ableton live related questions.

fsk

Post by fsk » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:06 pm

I've used 2 before, had them both connected thru seperate usb ports, made sure they were both set up in LIVE properties as midi audio device 1 & 2 etc. Worked instantly.

The only thing that you gotta change is the channel the channel out or something on the actual controllers, or else once u set up the functions for 1 controller, the other one does the same etc.
Sound Recordist & Designer
http://www.postboxaudio.com

kimyo

Post by kimyo » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:11 am

i've had 2 uc33's working simulaneously as well - not using usb though, each on its own channel, midi cables into a midi concentrator.

kelvingumbs

Re: Can two UC-33 controllers be used simultaneously?

Post by kelvingumbs » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:18 pm

barrett wrote:So I bought two of these controllers because I wanted to control more parameters but when i hook them both up only one transnits midi messages . . . any ideas? Is it possible?
Hey Barrett,

Did you ever get this resolved. I'm in the same position you are in (trying to use two uc33e's with Ableton). The exact same thing is happening to me. Only one will work at a time. Is it actually possible to use two of them with Ableton?
LOC.NES [Nothing But Beats]
www.locnesbeats.com
Setup: Apple Macbook, Ableton Suite 8, Akai MPD26, Akai MPC 1000

blank

Post by blank » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:18 pm

Latest m-audio drivers are acting weirdly here with my uc-33e.

Can't you simply use midi instead of usb ?

That way you will bypass the drivers need and i'm pretty sure it will work flawlessly.

keep us tune.

-B
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug