TR6s: Recording MIDI to a clip in Session view, keeps playing that MIDI even if pattern changes, until I change scene

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
falsealarm

TR6s: Recording MIDI to a clip in Session view, keeps playing that MIDI even if pattern changes, until I change scene

Post by falsealarm » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:41 pm

Hi there,

I'm not very experienced so it's possible I'm missing something obvious. Hopefully I can make clear what's going wrong.

I have a Roland TR6s connected to my computer via USB - doubt this is relevant but it's part of an aggregate device along with an audio interface.

I have a MIDI track for each instrument on the drum machine, and each track has an external instrument - pic https://imgur.com/a/jHVccV5

My problem is that after I record some midi onto into a clip in Session view, no matter if I delete the midi notes on the clip, or change the pattern on the drum machine, it always plays what I previously recorded unless I change the scene. It seems like the notes are coming from the drum machine because the volume knob has an effect, but it's so odd that changing the programmed pattern does not change what's playing unless I move to a different scene. I'm not sure where the signal is coming from since it doesn't look like it's stored anywhere?

What I wanted to do was be able to edit the MIDI in Ableton and have the drum machine play back what's programmed in Ableton. I also thought by setting monitoring to IN I could go back to what's playing on the drum machine.

Can someone help me understand what is going wrong here/what I'm not understanding?

Greenapples2019

Re: TR6s: Recording MIDI to a clip in Session view, keeps playing that MIDI even if pattern changes, until I change scen

Post by Greenapples2019 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:59 pm

Hiya, I can't be sure of this as I don't have a TR6S but with that caveat...I think your problem may lie in your routing.

Taking the BD as an example, I'd have a pure MIDI track (3 but with no plugin) with the TR6 as the input; this is for recording the original MIDI clip (A) from the TR6 which you then edit into whatever you want (B). I'd set the MIDI output to be Track 4. Then on Track 4 I'd specify No Input, add an Ext Inst plugin that has MIDI out going to the TR6 and has the audio from coming from the TR6. Then the Output for Track 4 goes to your Track 2 BD buss. So 3 is for recording/editing the TR6 MIDI and track 4 is for sending MIDI to the TR6 and then recording the audio that the TR6 produces.

You'll need to play around with the Monitor settings and arming to make sure you're EITHER recording MIDI (to edit) from the TR6 on Track 3 OR recording audio (from your edited clip going to the TR6) on Track 4; at the moment you have a bit of a circular function going on. You'll also need to play around with the TR6 settings to make sure it's sending or receiving MIDI at the right time.

But I'm no expert so someone else may have a neater way of doing this.

Cheers