Using Discord to allow people to listen to what I'm making in Ableton

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Birds-n-Synths

Using Discord to allow people to listen to what I'm making in Ableton

Post by Birds-n-Synths » Thu May 28, 2020 4:45 pm

So, I recently got a new plugin (a CS-80 VST) and I'm wanting to show people some ideas I have with this new plugin. But I can't really show them via Discord because they can't hear what I'm hearing in my DAW. Can I get some help?

Tone Deft

Re: Using Discord to allow people to listen to what I'm making in Ableton

Post by Tone Deft » Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 pm

I've tried with Discord and Live they don't play along together, even just for microphone comms while giving Live lessons remotely. I don't have an answer, just saying I agree about Dischord. Dischord tip - in the audio preferences scroll ALL the way down and this the 'reset audio settings' when things get weird in Dischord. hth.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Birds-n-Synths

Post by Birds-n-Synths » Thu May 28, 2020 6:55 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 pm
I've tried with Discord and Live they don't play along together, even just for microphone comms while giving Live lessons remotely. I don't have an answer, just saying I agree about Dischord. Dischord tip - in the audio preferences scroll ALL the way down and this the 'reset audio settings' when things get weird in Dischord. hth.
Thanks!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu May 28, 2020 11:44 pm

You would need to post your system and audio interface and setup.

If you are windows using ASIO drivers this will be correct as ASIO cannot be shared between applications, it is a 1:1 driver.

There are some loopback software options or just using the WASAPI audio drivers and dealing with latency issues but how I approach this kind of thing, mainly to record into OBS and such is to instead use an external mixer that can rout channels back into a line input. This of course needs a decent audio interface with a few sets of inputs tho.

So the setup in my case would be:

Audio Interface = Roland Octacapture
Mixer = Mackie 1402VLZ Pro

Ableton Live Audio Out 1+2 to Mixer CH 5/6
Mic connected to Mixer CH 1
OBS (or Discord) set to Audio Input 3/4

So on my audio interface Input 3/4 is a line input from a record bus from my mixer but is not being monitored live on my side.

On my mixer I press a Mute button for the Mic and Ableton Live channels which automatically routes these to the record bus into the audio interface which I then just set as the source for the mic. I also press a solo button for the Live channel which sends it to a monitor channel which I can then switch to the main channel so I can still hear Live through my speakers but the mic is muted from speakers and both appear on the channel inputs for the application I use. I can then easily use the mixer channels to adjust the mic/live levels on the fly.

This allows easy recording of any device on my system fast without the need to use software routing or other configurations and is a simple old school way of doing things which I find very flexible... But you need the hardware to do it so if you don't have at least a 4 channel input audio interface then forget this as an option, just something to maybe consider if this is the kind of thing you will do often.

Birds-n-Synths

Post by Birds-n-Synths » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:56 pm

I figured out that there's virtual audio cables lol. I use VB-Cable for whenever I need to.

gomi

Post by gomi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:36 pm

You want this plugin

https://audiomovers.com/wp/

dumbdown

Post by dumbdown » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:47 pm

as someone said before:

"If you are windows using ASIO drivers this will be correct as ASIO cannot be shared between applications, it is a 1:1 driver."

so the solution is very simple but is has a drawback,
just switch the output device type from ASIO to MME/DIRECTX.
should work with any app you want to stream trough discord, the drawback being you will have a bit more input lag.
hope this helps!