anyone out there working in 5/4, 6/8, etc?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
kimyo

anyone out there working in 5/4, 6/8, etc?

Post by kimyo » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:26 am

i've been trying to work with odd meters to no avail.

setting the time signature to 5/4 or 6/8 does affect the metronome, but clips recorded in session view don't quantize. then things get even more confusing.

help! a fairly thorough scan of the manual turns up nothing on time signatures.

kim

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:36 am

each clip has a time sig box, which makes some kind of sense really.

;)

The only drawbacks I've found are:

no global sig automation - so you cant switch between signatures, Ive been working on a track that has 4/4 sections and 6/4 sections . with the global sig set to 4/4 I cant use the clip-preview-jumpy-speaker-thing as it goes to a 4/4 bar start rather than a 6/4 bar start.

anyway. thats me.

kimyo

Post by kimyo » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:11 am

i've experimented a bit more - i do see the time sig for each clip, and when i'm working in 5/4 the clips are marked as 5/4. however, when live looping nothing seems to line up. even if i happen to get the first loop right, i have never been able to get a second loop to be in sync.

anyone doing this whilst live-looping?

thanks,

kim

blacktiger

Post by blacktiger » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:11 am

I know what you mean; most of my songs are in 4. For odd time signatures, i've opted to record loops and import those over to Pro Tools.
I much, much prefer using Live over PT due to it's handling of CPU resources, but it is not (yet) a full-fledged DAW. Love that tempo automation, VSTs etc.; that brings it one step closer!
Just my 2 cents.

NationalSandwic

Post by NationalSandwic » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:55 pm

hi kim

i loop and layer a lot.

i just tried doing it at 5/4 and no problem what-so-ever.
is your global signature set to 5/4?
is your quantisation set to 1 bar?
are you trying difficult things like cross-rhythms?

there's no reason it should be out of sync if it's in sync at 4/4 or any other time signature.
and your metronome should CERTAINLY change... high-click on beat 1, low-clicks on the rest.
note: changing clip signatures won't change your global signature... you can have clips in any meter you want and still run them at 4/4 with 4/4 quantisation.

might i suggest something? are you counting this music correctly? i don't mean to be presumptious, but your problem might not be in the software, but rather in your counting. i remember having a HUGE argument with a band who were recording a song in 7/8...and running into problems. the problem was that it was actually in 6/8...and it took me a while to get them counting right. sometimes things feel like they're in funny signatures, when they're actually not.

(btw, 6/8 is a perfectly regular time signature, not odd at all)