NEW to Ableton and got a few questions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BobList

NEW to Ableton and got a few questions

Post by BobList » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:22 pm

Loving this program, but I am more of a guy who uses more traditional sounding instuments in my recording, I want to do stuff that is NOT trance, house, bass-n-drum loops, charred/synth type sounds... I record vocals, horns, piano, etc. Prefer to keep it clean, using regular instrument sounds. Where can I find in general, drum loops/samples, electric and upright bass, etc. I am a horn player, myself. Me and stringed instruments don't mix too well, lol Looking for sounds that would line up with say, the old Roland DR 550 type stuff that i can shape and modify thru Ableton? I've got a Dr 550, but would rather not record it as an "audio in"... I'd rather point and click in the menu where all the sounds are. I am geared toward writing originals that are Pop, Jazzy, R&B, and soul oriented for a live band to perform. Hard to desribe what I'm after, and remember, I'm real new at home recording using this thing, Thanks!

Oh, I have Abelton Live 9 Intro.

dcease

Re: NEW to Ableton and got a few questions

Post by dcease » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:36 am

Upgrade to Live 10 Suite and use some of the crap that it comes with.

8E

Re: NEW to Ableton and got a few questions

Post by 8E » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:12 am

BobList wrote:Loving this program, but I am more of a guy who uses more traditional sounding instuments in my recording, I want to do stuff that is NOT trance, house, bass-n-drum loops, charred/synth type sounds... I record vocals, horns, piano, etc. Prefer to keep it clean, using regular instrument sounds. Where can I find in general, drum loops/samples, electric and upright bass, etc. I am a horn player, myself. Me and stringed instruments don't mix too well, lol Looking for sounds that would line up with say, the old Roland DR 550 type stuff that i can shape and modify thru Ableton? I've got a Dr 550, but would rather not record it as an "audio in"... I'd rather point and click in the menu where all the sounds are. I am geared toward writing originals that are Pop, Jazzy, R&B, and soul oriented for a live band to perform. Hard to desribe what I'm after, and remember, I'm real new at home recording using this thing, Thanks!

Oh, I have Abelton Live 9 Intro.
I am in your position.
I write music for orchestra, but do the stuff in AL.
You can buy orchestra samples etc if you want to work with them. There are some in AL but just standard quality.
You can invest in Roland Integra-7 for what you need.
MacOS Mojave MacBook Pro (15", Mid 2015), 2,5 GHz i7, 16GB RAM
Live Suite 10-latest + Push 1
U-PHORIA UMC204HD