The future of Soundcloud

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
re:dream

The future of Soundcloud

Post by re:dream » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:56 am

So... does anybody have a clear idea what's going to happen?

If I were to believe their own latest news, they are safe for now - but you never know

Is there a good alternative where people can post their work if SC does end up going down the tubes?

Re: The future of Soundcloud

Post by 102455 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:28 am

re:dream wrote: Is there a good alternative
Google. SoundCloud alternative.

:roll:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:21 pm

I've done that and haven't found any useful hits. Hence the idea of asking practicing electronic musicians.

In other words - has anyone here found a useful alternative? How does it compare? What are the strengths and weaknesses? Is it fun? 8)

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:50 pm

re:dream wrote:I've done that and haven't found any useful hits. Hence the idea of asking practicing electronic musicians.
I have to agree. Every alternative I've found either requires the listener to sign up for an account or has such a small online presence that it could easily shutdown without anyone noticing. SoundCloud seems to have set itself up in a unique niche that it can't seem to capitalize on.

Really unfortunate.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:03 pm

YouTube.

Soon every specialized free service will be replaced by a generic behemoth. It’s the Wal-Martification of the Internet.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:35 pm

It's crazy how I get more plays on YouTube than all other outlets my music is on (including my own site) combined. If you're targetting for fans and followers I'd vote that focusing on that is your best bet.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Tarekith wrote:It's crazy how I get more plays on YouTube than all other outlets my music is on (including my own site) combined. If you're targetting for fans and followers I'd vote that focusing on that is your best bet.
I think it’s a perception problem. I’m willing to bet most musicians and music producers don’t go to YouTube to find new music so they don’t think anybody else does either. But most non music producers probably only go to SoundCloud when a link is forced on them and it’s the only option.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:07 am

Soundcloud has been extra annoying lately.

If I click a link to listen instead of in an embedded version, it forces me to open the app. And I refuse to update the app because they made a complete mess of the way they want us to experience music on their site.