Tannoy Reveal 6's - Active. Question....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dpkni1

Tannoy Reveal 6's - Active. Question....

Post by dpkni1 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:07 am

Quick question,

would $450-500 Australian be considered a good price for a second hand set of tannoy reveal active 6's, one year old (the model before the latest ones)?

I've listened to them in the store and was considering them or the cheaper truths, but just saw a set of these on ebay pretty cheap and was considering having a stab.

Any thoughts???
half a man walks with no shadow

montrealbreaks

Re: Tannoy Reveal 6's - Active. Question....

Post by montrealbreaks » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:02 pm

dpkni1 wrote:Quick question,

would $450-500 Australian be considered a good price for a second hand set of tannoy reveal active 6's, one year old (the model before the latest ones)?

I've listened to them in the store and was considering them or the cheaper truths, but just saw a set of these on ebay pretty cheap and was considering having a stab.

Any thoughts???
A cheap set of monitors beats the hell out of a home hi-fi system. The hi-fi system colours sound to make it more pleasing... So, I would say that you'll do well with Tannoys.

That said, I have a set of Tannoy passives that I enjoy well enough, but I find that at low volumes it's hard to get the bass right - you have to pound 'em loud enough to disturb the neighbours in the apartment below you to get a good frequency response... Quiet level mixing isn't an option if you want a good representation of the sound.

My opinion of the Tannoys anyways. They're good if you play them at about 40-70% volume.

I can't comment on the Behringers, though I bought other items from that company, and it's cheaply manufactured. I have had problems with scratchy pots on more than one piece of their rack gear.
Last edited by montrealbreaks on Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:03 pm

that is a good price for the Tannoys

i own Tannoy's and montrealbreaks is correct, the 40-70% RMS range is ideal.
they can really "breathe"

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:10 pm

Get a sub and they sound exquisite.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:36 pm

Moody wrote:Get a sub and they sound exquisite.
I think thats good advice. I have a set of Tannoy Reveal actives and, to be honest, I'd like to trade them for something else, I have problems with bass too.

I've heard good things of KRK monitors, similar price to the Tannoys (slightly less) and great reviews.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/a ... krokit.htm

I have to work in a small room, so I'm seriously thinking about a set of Rokit 5s.

dpkni1

Post by dpkni1 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:31 am

Hey guys,

thanks for the tips....i missed out on the speakers anyway. Ebay always has a way of sucking you in, then going about 200 dollars above your price range in the last 30 seconds!

So i've been doing some more research and decided im going to get some monitors this weekend. I've narrowed things down to the truths, KRK rokit 5's or 6's or a set of Alesis MKII. Obviously the truths are at the lower end of the price scale, but the last time I listened to them they didn't sound too bad. Those KRK's are definitely getting some good reviews though, im keen to A:B the the 5's and 6's.

Anyway, just seeing if anybody has some fresh thoughts. With money being 'tight' i'm keen to use whatever speakers I get to monitor my bedroom dj mixes as well as any production i do (predominantly chicago/deep house).

New thoughts?

Dave
half a man walks with no shadow