Novation Launch Control XL - be careful

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mercury007

Novation Launch Control XL - be careful

Post by mercury007 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Just a word of advice - I purchased the Novation Launch Control XL. It seems excellent and probably has a lot of potential. But there is no MIDI script for Ableton and, therefore, it's essentially half-functioning. Sure, the factory preset will work out of the box but without MIDI scripts for the 8 User presets, you can't use those 24 knobs and faders to map to VSTs. Actually, to be clear, you can, but you can't save those mappings, essentially crippling the use of this device. Given that python programming is involved and Novation doesn't seem to be interested in adding a MIDI script anytime soon, I would avoid this product. The script would significantly add to the usage but in the meantime Livid DS-1 has a script, so why wait?

login

Re: Novation Launch Control XL - be careful

Post by login » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:28 am

Making a custom script for the basic functionality it's really no big deal, you can control 8 first volume faders and sends, as well as use one set of knobs for macro controls.

but yeah, a custom script should be included.

I hope nativekontrol.com comes out with something soon.

As for the Livid ds1, yes it is very nice, but for the price I would get to Launchcontrol XL

commuter

Post by commuter » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:01 am

hello,

I don't own a launchcontrol XL, but the current Live version includes a script for it (9.1.5)
It doesn't work ?
15" Macbook Pro 2,3 quadcore I7 2012/8gb ram/240gb SSD/ LIVE 9.06/OSX 10.8.5, NI Komplete audio 6
https://www.facebook.com/commuterofficial
http://soundcloud.com/commuter

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:13 am

mercury007 wrote:Just a word of advice - I purchased the Novation Launch Control XL. It seems excellent and probably has a lot of potential. But there is no MIDI script for Ableton and, therefore, it's essentially half-functioning. Sure, the factory preset will work out of the box but without MIDI scripts for the 8 User presets, you can't use those 24 knobs and faders to map to VSTs. Actually, to be clear, you can, but you can't save those mappings, essentially crippling the use of this device. Given that python programming is involved and Novation doesn't seem to be interested in adding a MIDI script anytime soon, I would avoid this product. The script would significantly add to the usage but in the meantime Livid DS-1 has a script, so why wait?
I'm lost, you save you can't save your mappings? When you save your live set all MIDI Mappings are saved are they not??

Cheers
D

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:47 pm

First of all - 8 macros are not the problem. The problem is integrating a large VST with 128 parameters. I have access to 24 knobs, 8 faders, and 16 buttons x 8 USER and 7 Factory presets...so I could control a ton of parameters with it (which was the point of buying it).

Second, I can save it with the set but if I start a new song, for example, am I supposed to map 5 VSTs out fully and then delete the ones I don't need? What if I then add a VST synth back? I have to remap all over again. That's extremely inefficient. It takes a long time to map out 128 parameters each time.

Finally, I have not checked 9.1.5, I thought it was a beta. I will look into this today.

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:07 pm

Ok, I tried. There is a MIDI script. It only works with the Factory Preset 1, which gives you 8 knobs in total to control the Device.

The ideal use for this device would be the ability to treat a VST like a full-fledged hardware synth...with that number of controls, it makes no sense not to give us that option.

I think I have a workaround which is direct MIDI mapping to VSTs and saving them as rack presets but not sure if this will work yet.

login

Post by login » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:20 pm

mercury007 wrote:Ok, I tried. There is a MIDI script. It only works with the Factory Preset 1, which gives you 8 knobs in total to control the Device.

The ideal use for this device would be the ability to treat a VST like a full-fledged hardware synth...with that number of controls, it makes no sense not to give us that option.

I think I have a workaround which is direct MIDI mapping to VSTs and saving them as rack presets but not sure if this will work yet.

But that limit is on the live API at the same time. AFAIK it only allows to access configured parameters in banks of 8 (akai apc and psuh do this).

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Not true. If I open up a VST and configure 50 parameters and then right-click and link to my Arturia Keylab 61, for example, I can access 10 knobs and 9 faders immediately.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:44 am

mercury007 wrote:First of all - 8 macros are not the problem. The problem is integrating a large VST with 128 parameters. I have access to 24 knobs, 8 faders, and 16 buttons x 8 USER and 7 Factory presets...so I could control a ton of parameters with it (which was the point of buying it).

Second, I can save it with the set but if I start a new song, for example, am I supposed to map 5 VSTs out fully and then delete the ones I don't need? What if I then add a VST synth back? I have to remap all over again. That's extremely inefficient. It takes a long time to map out 128 parameters each time.

Finally, I have not checked 9.1.5, I thought it was a beta. I will look into this today.
Not trying to be a ass here, but it's just a budget controller. Ideally it would be best suited for basic mixer type functions, not that of controlling 128 automapped parameters of a beast synth.

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:52 pm

The hardware actually has all of the features built-in to do this. It's just a matter of the lack of proper MIDI scripts for the User Presets. This is a simple business matter. They can advertise that it does all of that and more and charge for a secondary software package or bundle it. I'm not asking for a metal casing or higher-end hardware, but adding software to make the device more integrated with Ableton Live. If what you are saying is correct, why did they bother to add 7 Factory and 8 User Presets? They could have just left it as a mixer without any presets. I don't know how to program Python, but Novation is a fairly large company. I would guess this would cost them 2-3 days of programming time. I say that because when I first purchased my Arturia Keylab 61 MIDI controller, there were no scripts. I mentioned it and a week later they had the scripts.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:20 pm

Right let me clarify this for you, the issue lies with Ableton as they produce the remote scripts not Novation....

Novation doesn't subscribe to user created scripts but you may find an answer in the likes of Gridlock from Lee Huddleston (sigabort)

http://www.sigabort.co/gridlock

Cheers
D

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:18 pm

Super-badass shit never happens out of the box. In my experience you have to learn your controller well, think critically about what it can do to interact with the daw and how to accomplish that logically. If you haven't sworn at the top of your lungs you're not doing it right.

1. Invest the time to figure things out, or
2. Hope someone else does it and gives it up, for free even.

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:37 pm

I hear both of you. I appreciate the comments. I voice my concerns because I feel that the music companies sometimes lose track of what's important. There is a never-ending search to make the most complex synth or sound. In my opinion, great music is not about the complexity of the sounds as much as it is about the user-interaction with the instruments, ie, the "playability".

It's great we have so many options today but it frustrates me that after owning several MIDI controllers, I still have not found one that interacts easily and properly with my VSTs.

I will try that Max for Live plugin that S4racen mentioned, maybe that is the solution!

On a side note, I would think that there is a market for user scripts for all devices. I'd be willing to pay significant money for a script that I want as long as I was given the code so that I could personally license it. I think a script for Novation XL for all user presets could be worth over $100, maybe over $200 if done properly even though the device only costs that much. Anyone interested, please PM me.

login

Post by login » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:57 pm

mercury007 wrote:I hear both of you. I appreciate the comments. I voice my concerns because I feel that the music companies sometimes lose track of what's important. There is a never-ending search to make the most complex synth or sound. In my opinion, great music is not about the complexity of the sounds as much as it is about the user-interaction with the instruments, ie, the "playability".

It's great we have so many options today but it frustrates me that after owning several MIDI controllers, I still have not found one that interacts easily and properly with my VSTs.

I will try that Max for Live plugin that S4racen mentioned, maybe that is the solution!

On a side note, I would think that there is a market for user scripts for all devices. I'd be willing to pay significant money for a script that I want as long as I was given the code so that I could personally license it. I think a script for Novation XL for all user presets could be worth over $100, maybe over $200 if done properly even though the device only costs that much. Anyone interested, please PM me.
Contact nativekontrol or http://stu-fisher.org/ they make custom work.

Nativekontrol may develop scripts in the future for the xl as he has for the launchpad and the launchcontrol.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:04 pm

http://isotonikstudios.com/launchcontro ... sequencer/

Version one with the red box out now.....

Cheers
D