keep clip view hidden

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
NoSonic822

keep clip view hidden

Post by NoSonic822 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:18 am

it would be nice to be able to keep the clip view hidden when you are working for long periods on an arrangement...because whenever you click on a clip it pops up the device view and it takes up the screen and then you have to click it off or you end up just working but with less space. ti really annoying to have to keep closing it every time, this would improve workflow a lot

erikomic

Re: keep clip view hidden

Post by erikomic » Thu May 22, 2014 7:03 pm

devices or clip views ? It's not the same.
In my settings the area remains closed even if i select a clip.
Might want to check the "look feel preferences" > auto hide plugins Off

If you Shift-tab it opens the areas and toggles between plugins or clip view.
If You cmd-alt-L it opens or close the area.
And if you cmd-alt-P it hides 3rd party plugins.

hopes this helps

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:56 am

erikomic wrote:devices or clip views ? It's not the same.
In my settings the area remains closed even if i select a clip.
Might want to check the "look feel preferences" > auto hide plugins Off

If you Shift-tab it opens the areas and toggles between plugins or clip view.
If You cmd-alt-L it opens or close the area.
And if you cmd-alt-P it hides 3rd party plugins.

hopes this helps
WHen you are in arrangment view....you have the full screen view open....then you double click a clip and th at track becomes your acively selected one....now you're in clip view....now....when you click back to the arrangement....the device view is now showing...so every time you do this you have to click that triangle on the bottom right to get rid of the device view.....

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Fri May 23, 2014 5:12 am

collapse the clip view portion of the screen in the window where you don't want to see it. Move the mouse to the top border of the clip view, you'll get the "arrow/up/down" tool, drag the window all the way down to minimalize it. Now it won't show up when you toggle between views.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:55 am

Jinsai wrote:collapse the clip view portion of the screen in the window where you don't want to see it. Move the mouse to the top border of the clip view, you'll get the "arrow/up/down" tool, drag the window all the way down to minimalize it. Now it won't show up when you toggle between views.
I'm not talking about the clip view, I'm talking abou th the device view...the bottom box that shows the instrument panel, fx etc.

thanks though.

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Fri May 23, 2014 6:11 am

I think we're talking bout the same thing :D

I might be misunderstanding though.

If you collapse it in one view, it won't show up anymore in that view no matter how you have it set up in the other window.
If I'm getting it wrong, is there any way you could do a video cap of what you're trying to do?

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Fri May 23, 2014 6:49 am

Jinsai wrote: is there any way you could do a video cap of what you're trying to do?
heres a step by step of the issue:

1. I am working in Arrangemnt view, I double click on a clip, device view pops up so i drag it away...deveice view is now hidden...ok good.

2. I want to work on a new clip so single click, device view still hidden ok good...

3. I double click on a clip to work on it...device view for that clip pops up...

4. NOw, the problem...I want to work on a new clip or work in full view in arrangement....so...I click on a new clip....why is the old clip view and old clip showing....it should be hidden now that I am not working on it....do you know how much time and aggravation I ve lost by having to keep clicking/dragging that stupid triangle to get the clip/device view gone...it's so annoying that I just dont click it and then I end upworking with half the screen for like 20 minutes when I should have a a whole screen....I should nt have to click it away/drag it to be gone...it should be specific to only the clips/tracks that I have gone into device view for...so then, if you close out the device view for a given clip/track...it should stay hidden until you open it again. It might seem trivial but when you work on very large projects with lots of tracks and clips, it is such an annoyance.

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Fri May 23, 2014 3:37 pm

hmmmm, yeah. I guess I've never run into that as a problem personally. I just double click on the top of the tab instead of going to the triangle to minimize it. But yeah, being able to further configure how the program reacts to the way you navigate via the preferences is always a good thing.

At the very least, maybe allow you to assign a quick Key assignment to the triangle so you can just snap it shut. I've always been a little perplexed why some things cannot be midi/key mapped. Non sequitur, but I've always wanted to be able to midi map the texture's grain size and flux parameters. Not sure why they don't let you...

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:13 am

I didn't know you could double click it away! That is great! Thanks.

Sean

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Sat May 24, 2014 8:24 am

definitely! By the way, I found a couple shortcuts that accomplish the same thing!

If you're on mac and have your function keys allowed (disabled the defaults in the preferences), it's just SHIFT F12
You can also do it w/ CMMD OPTION L

If you're on PC, it's CNTRL ALT L or SHIFT F12

cheers!

erikomic

Post by erikomic » Sat May 24, 2014 2:28 pm

Just don't double click on the damn thing. Single click doesn't open anything. Cmd-alt-L close that area.