ABLETON LIVE VJ SOFTWARE!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andrewlogan

Post by andrewlogan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:37 am

Try Quartz Composer, it's free with Mac OS X Tiger (in the included dev tools package) It's quite straight forward, powerful and can be controlled via midi.

Abzurd

Post by Abzurd » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:02 am

Any more sugestions for those of us on PCs?

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:39 am

Is there anything freeware, or maybe demo for apple... whats the thing Hawtin uses?

ocp

Post by ocp » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:13 am

How about PD + Gem (freeware)?!

Here are the links: http://www.crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/software.html and http://taproot.dyndns.org/~cgc/downloads/index.html

It's the poor people's Max/MSP+Jitter :wink:
MacBook Pro 2.0, 2 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.6.8, Live 7.0.18, etc.

http://ocp.pt.vu
http://doporto.pt.to

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:00 am

The same revolution in audio is happening in video.

And just like anyone can drag 'n drop & make "sick, dope, bangin' trax" in EJay (or Live, for that matter), you can now do the same with video. And just like audio, those with talent, training and hard work will be the ones that stand apart from the bedroom wannabes.

As it gets easier and anyone can make squigglies on a screen, it will come down to content. That's why I'm channeling my resources into learning the dynamics of graphic design for video for music, lighting, cinematography, etc. Then comes the software: Cinema 4d 9, Motion 2, Poser 6, Flash MX, etc. It's analagous to learning song structure, chord progressions, timing, instrumentation, dynamics, etc in music before being able to craft a worthwhile song.

My opinion, for what little it's worth.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:17 am

My friend is really psyched about the -mxwendler- hardware accelerated video mixer. It's free, it's beta, it's for pc, and it runs like a mother-fucker, from what I've heard. It does have midi,
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

juxta

Post by juxta » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:05 pm

VJamm (as used by coldcut) does this

it triggers video with thelowest latency of any vj software (10ms)
it plays 16 clips at once and is sample accurate

it has an open source fx standard called free frame - think video vst
all the parameters are under midi control

it is totally sorted fora live/ vj AV show - check the coldcut tour on the road in 2006

m
~j

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:31 pm

backwards wrote:Silly question here...is there anyway to set up so that the "second monitor" is a monitor that is on a network (connected via ethernet ports or firewire)?
With OS X the firewire port can be used for Quicktime playback (NTSC 720x480), so you can either hook Firewire directly to an external display like a Sony post production monitor which takes Firewire straight from the computer, or go the less expensive route and get a Firewire -> Composite / S-Video / Component RGB converter and use any external NTSC/PAL display you want.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

john_sweet

Post by john_sweet » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:10 pm

I've always hoped for an add-on video playback or synthesis "instrument" a la Operator. It wouldn't even have to be all that full-featured as long as it had a specifically Ableton personality. Maybe one extra row in Session View for routing, hopefully nothing else. Just to have another element to throw at the switcher...

computo

Post by computo » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:45 pm

You'll never see an input device like a VST that runs video, because to run both audio and video on the same bus is extremely processor intensive.

Also, multiple Video inputs are extremely hefty on the processor also...just one dramtically weighs on a machine.

Vidvox produces probably the most sultry, and powerful standalone products for video.

Gridpro is basically a mesh of the most powerful functions of Jitter and all of its offspring, like auvi, and softvns. It is very powerful, and pro to the core.

But I build all of my own video interfaces with Jitter, the new version of which is far better than ANY standalone video program on the market. Just download the demo and check out the javascript examples. They make richie hawtins visuals look like southpark animation...No offense to Richie, I like the minimalism.

PD is very similar, and very powerful, but Jitter has a LOT of love behind it.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:59 pm

on PC i've been using midividgpu which runs as a pixelshader on your video card. essentially this means i can run it with live and get no dropouts from either one on a single machine. noice! and it's free if you beta test for him. it's a little picky about which codec you use it seems, and i don't have enough experience with other programs to know if thats a codec problem, or a midividgpu problem. ultimately it's a slightly more basic version of arkaos, and for the price i highly recommend it.
i've given mxwendler a go, but it kept crashing on me. luckily the people making it are pretty friendly and i'm helping them as much as i can to figure out what the problem is and fix it. it looks like a pretty promising program if they can get the stability up a bit. once again, pixelshader and low cpu usage.
on hambones recommendation i'm about to try arkaos HW which also runs as a pixelshader, meaning it runs on your gpu, not your cpu. i have high hopes for it given it's a commercial product and it's supported by nvidia (who made the vid card i have) so maybe it'll be the best of the current opengl vid program out there... who knows yet...
theres another one called salvation that i haven't been able to download anywhere yet but it looks like a more modular program where you can build your own interface, but have it run oon your gpu. not totally sure about it yet though.
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:23 pm

backwards wrote:Silly question here...is there anyway to set up so that the "second monitor" is a monitor that is on a network (connected via ethernet ports or firewire)?

Not specific to any video software just in general on OSX.

Thanx

p.s. ocp thanx for the link to ZWONULL.MGFX....I like it...
Resolume can broadcast the video out of several computers running the software to another one acting as a server. That should do the trick. They recommend using gigabit ethernet due to the high demand of bandwidth if i remember correctly.
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

computo

Post by computo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:57 pm

andrewlogan wrote:Try Quartz Composer, it's free with Mac OS X Tiger (in the included dev tools package) It's quite straight forward, powerful and can be controlled via midi.
That is some DOPE SHIT, dude!!! Thanks for posting that!!!!!!

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:45 am

computo wrote:
andrewlogan wrote:Try Quartz Composer, it's free with Mac OS X Tiger (in the included dev tools package) It's quite straight forward, powerful and can be controlled via midi.
That is some DOPE SHIT, dude!!! Thanks for posting that!!!!!!
check this....

http://www.quartonian.net/

this guy has made a cool vj app for free download, using Quartz Composer.

No midi on it yet, (only letter keys) but you can go in and edit it... so if any of you Quartz Composer nerds out there can get midi to work with it, let me know!

-m
web | fb | sc | twt | bc